Office 2022 to have a one time purchase

rcmaehl
On 9/24/2020 at 5:12 PM, StDragon said:

Office 365 has been officially renamed Microsoft 365. It's been rumored that just like KMS activation, soon you'll be able to subscribe to a Windows 10 license. But for now, that done through VLSC. So you laugh now, but that will be reality sooner or later.

The moment Windows goes sub-based is the moment that I bite the bullet and go full Linux.

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

I kind of stopped caring since my workplace pays for the license... for personal use I've always made do with foss alternatives anyway.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

It's great that they are moving back to a single purchase, but if we're being honest here.....an operating system should come with built in productivity tools. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

4 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

It's great that they are moving back to a single purchase, but if we're being honest here.....an operating system should come with built in productivity tools. 

Moving back?

It's always been an option, and the subscription option isn't going away...

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

3 hours ago, Kisai said:

In theory SaaS is the worst model because it requires you to pay for licenses based on how many computers you have, which is fine for software that you use 8 hours a day 260 days a year, but not for software that is special-purpose, which is still better with "per-seat" licensing, where you pay for X many licenses, and they float between users that need it, and you just buy additional licenses if your use case calls for it.

In the case of Office 365, it's licensed per user; and you can install it on up to 5 devices.

SaaS licensing models range the gamut from per user, per machine, usage based, to a shared pool where you're licensed for a fixed number of concurrent active users.

Like I said before, it's very mutually beneficial for businesses on both sides. But I agree, it doesn't serve the consumer well unless you can pay for only what you need a la carte.

2 hours ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

I wouldn't call it reliable. We had issues with 365 delaying email delivery by 2 days. After that, we stopped relying on email for triggering stuff.

That's quite a long delay for there to not have been an NDR generated. That tells me that it got held in queue someplace; usually at the anti-spam filtering if handled by a 3rd party (such as Barracuda). Also, e-mail does get weighted with an anti-spam value that's determined based on IP reputation (RBL lists??), MX records set in appropriate priority, PTR, SPF, DMARC, and bonus if you have DKIM all in valid configuration.

The only way to truly get to the bottom of your e-mail delivery woes is to perform a message trace to identify the portion of the chain responsible for the hangup. I'd start by first checking the headers from the received e-mail that was delayed in addition to SMTP records within your sphere of control/access.

On 9/25/2020 at 6:23 AM, RejZoR said:

Most people just aren't willing to drop 300€ on a retail copy. Or even 120€ for OEM that's tied to one system in a one time payment.

Because you‘ll get the same bloatware and privacy mess ( ok that’s a bit exaggerated but you all get the point ).

Why pay 150$ on an OS that collects data has bloatware and even ads for certain apps on the Startmenü if you can get it for 20$?

I‘m a bit annoyed because everything on the internet is usually  „for free“ or expensive. You can pay 150$ for Windows or 5$ for an OEM version.

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

13 hours ago, pythonmegapixel said:

Moving back?

It's always been an option, and the subscription option isn't going away...

I agree.

Subscriptions provide a much more stable income for companies and if they see that there are enough people buying subscriptions they won’t change it.

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

4 minutes ago, Drama Lama said:

Because you‘ll get the same bloatware and privacy mess ( ok that’s a bit exaggerated but you all get the point ).

Why pay 150$ on an OS that collects data has bloatware and even ads for certain apps on the Startmenü if you can get it for 20$?

I‘m a bit annoyed because everything on the internet is usually  „for free“ or expensive. You can pay 150$ for Windows or 5$ for an OEM version.

I think Windows 10 would just absolutely dominate the OS market even above what they already do if it was free. People don't mind free things even if that means selling their soul to ads, data mining or just telemetry. I mean, just look at Google or Facebook stuff...

2 hours ago, RejZoR said:

I think Windows 10 would just absolutely dominate the OS market even above what they already do if it was free. People don't mind free things even if that means selling their soul to ads, data mining or just telemetry. I mean, just look at Google or Facebook stuff...

User won't care if Windows is free or not.

They have when they buy their Dell, HP, Acer, etc... computer.

The only people affected are DIY, and those, in great majority, want Windows.

17 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

User won't care if Windows is free or not.

They have when they buy their Dell, HP, Acer, etc... computer.

The only people affected are DIY, and those, in great majority, want Windows.

There are quite some laptops that come with nothing (like FreeDOS) or Linux. And everyone building PC's or even picking parts and letting companies build it for them. Paying anything on top of what's already an expensive build is something where people always avoid picking Windows. Sure it's not as big as systems that do come with it, but it's not an insignificant group of people.

8 hours ago, RejZoR said:

That reminds me, I happened to pop open the MS Solitaire from Windows 10 the other day, and went to play a game of Tripeaks.  Just as I tried to launch the game, it popped up a full screen ad that I couldn't get out of, and would pause itself if I clicked onto another window (or even just clicked the taskbar and switched focus away from it).  They removed all the free solitaire games from Windows for this monstrosity, then when not enough people were buying things through it, they put in unskippable ads.  Good thing I restored all the Windows 7 games back into 10.

Now imagine that in Windows itself.  You go to launch the Start Menu, and suddenly you're forced to watch an an ad before you can proceed.  Ugh, no thanks.