Which Antivirus do you use?

Hi All,

Im using Bitdefender antivirus since about 4 years now, my licence is due to expire in 30 days, I have an 1 year licence of kaspersky which i received with my new MoBo, didn't activate it yet but i know it's Kaspersky Antivirus (No firewall included etc), plus it's the 2013 edition and it's not eligible for the free upgrade to KA 2014.

Using Kaspersky will force me to go with a free firewall (Like Zone Alarm) which is not that good (At least that's what i heard) and buying a firewall makes no sense as being an old Bitdefender Customer i have discounts with their Bitdefender suite (I can buy a licence = 1 year, 3 computers for about 30e).

Before i go out spending any money I would like to know which antivirus do you folks use and find the best for your use (Price/Quality)?

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.

Avast(free) and Common scene. 

My rigs

Spoiler

Desktop CPU: Intel Xeon E5-1680 v2 @ 4.4GHz cooled by a Corsair H105 | Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth X79 | RAM: 32GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1600 | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 SC3 Ultra Gaming | SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Crutial M500 240GB + Samsung 840 120GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM + WB Black 4TB 7200RPM | Case: Fractal Design Meshify C | Mouse: Logitech G402 & MX Master | Keyboard: Poker II  MX Blue & Leopold 10-key pad Box Royals | Monitor: LG 34UB88-P | Audio: Audio-Technica ATH-M50 + FiiO E5 DAC + Rode NT-USB Mini

Laptop Lenovo Yoga 720 4k Touch

Avast free + MalwareBytes + Spybot 2

Avast is great if there's a malicious .exe trying to run, Malwarebytes is good for just finding general trojans, PuPs, etc, and Spybot is good for getting rid of tracking cookies and other crapware.

Spoiler

nothing

Fx-8320 Clocked@ 4.5Ghz, 2 * 4GB Corsair Vengeance Blue, 2 * Gigabyte rev1.0 R9 280x's, 2TB Seagate Drive, Gigabyte 990fxa-ud3 rev4.0 mobo, Fractal design Define R4 with SP120 High Performance Edition In the Side Panel, Corsair AX 860i, Corsair K60 Reds, Razor DeathAdder.

Avast+Malwarebytes and the essential one, COMMON SENSE. Also Windows has a firewall, I've never used anything else and I've never had any problems.

i'm a potato

Kaspersky pure 3.0 with trial resetter :D

CPU: AMD R7 5800x | GPU: XFX 5500XT 4GB | RAM: 2x8GB Kingston Fury Renegade 3600MHz CL16 | Cooling: Deepcool Gammaxx L360 | MB: Aorus B550 Elite V2 | Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250gb & WD20EAZX | Case: Antec DF700

Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga 460: Intel 6200U | 8GB | 256GB SSD | Active pen

microsoft security essentials and windows firewall are

- free

- completely not invasive

- lightweight

- if you're not stupid enough to welcome viruses and doubleclick ALL the executables, they will protect you just fine

AVG AntiVirus 2014 (Paid edition) + Malwarebytes Pro  

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

Avast free + MalwareBytes + Spybot 2

Avast is great if there's a malicious .exe trying to run, Malwarebytes is good for just finding general trojans, PuPs, etc, and Spybot is good for getting rid of tracking cookies and other crapware.

Thanks! That sounds just right! I will go with this trio :)

Nortons Internet Security for about 4 years or more - It's light and has intelligent system processing to help keep things speedy.

I felt like a change this year so I bought and installed Comodo, mostly because it boasted a kick ass firewall. I envisioned symantec firewall from back in the old days which was just awesome till norton bought it out but the truth of the matter is Comodo is good but a royal pain the ass... Right at this very moment it's desktop widget is sitting on my 2nd screen in orange stating "needs attention". This is due to yet another failed virus signature update failure (this happens a lot). The first time it happened I emailed customer support whom got me to install a tool which they then started remoting my computer with (hmmmm). From what I observed from the remotee was:

1. try install definitions - fail

2. restart machine (auto reconnect to this remote session - hmmm :\ ) and try install again - fail

3. find definitions installation location, download them manually and place in directory and try an update again - fail

4. try delete all definitions and run update - fail

5. boot into safe mode, delete definitions and run update - success

The other huge issue with Comodo is that it can affect / change the files you install on your computer. I testing software for the leap motion controller and programming an app of my own only to find a win32 error. I spent nearly a week with dev teams from the leapmotion team only to find out in the end it was Comodo!

Other things I hate about comodo:

1. Opening it's main window and making updates to sub sections is very slow. Huge pause after save or close button presses

2. Firewall, how hard is it to give a simple list of all blocked, allowed applications and dll's that are searchable or state can be altered nice and simple? Wander wander, sift sift, which profile am I using? Oh hang on which section was that in again? 

Moral of the story, I shouldn't have moved away from Norton Internet Security.

And for those of you whom go with free software only I would do the following:

1. Zone Alarm

2. MalwareBytes (install, scan, fix and remove only when needed)

3. CCleaner

4. SpyBot

I used to use AVG free but I've seen it let so many things through but MalwareBytes picks them up and fixes them also, so I don't bother with AVG anymore.

I don't typically use one, I run Malwarebytes Pro in the background just to make sure.

i would use malwarebytes paid, i purchased it here recently, its best one out there in my opinion. 

microsoft security essentials and windows firewall are

- free

- completely not invasive

- lightweight

- if you're not stupid enough to welcome viruses and doubleclick ALL the executables, they will protect you just fine

It's not always stupidity you know, sometimes you may receive something from a friend with IT knowladge, the thing may have a nice suprise .. talking from personal experiance. And sometimes I take stuff from privat sites like filelist.ro ;;) it's always good to have some extra protection.

Nortons Internet Security for about 4 years or more - It's light and has intelligent system processing to help keep things speedy.

I felt like a change this year so I bought and installed Comodo, mostly because it boasted a kick ass firewall. I envisioned symantec firewall from back in the old days which was just awesome till norton bought it out but the truth of the matter is Comodo is good but a royal pain the ass... Right at this very moment it's desktop widget is sitting on my 2nd screen in orange stating "needs attention". This is due to yet another failed virus signature update failure (this happens a lot). The first time it happened I emailed customer support whom got me to install a tool which they then started remoting my computer with (hmmmm). From what I observed from the remotee was:

1. try install definitions - fail

2. restart machine (auto reconnect to this remote session - hmmm :\ ) and try install again - fail

3. find definitions installation location, download them manually and place in directory and try an update again - fail

4. try delete all definitions and run update - fail

5. boot into safe mode, delete definitions and run update - success

The other huge issue with Comodo is that it can affect / change the files you install on your computer. I testing software for the leap motion controller and programming an app of my own only to find a win32 error. I spent nearly a week with dev teams from the leapmotion team only to find out in the end it was Comodo!

Other things I hate about comodo:

1. Opening it's main window and making updates to sub sections is very slow. Huge pause after save or close button presses

2. Firewall, how hard is it to give a simple list of all blocked, allowed applications and dll's that are searchable or state can be altered nice and simple? Wander wander, sift sift, which profile am I using? Oh hang on which section was that in again? 

Moral of the story, I shouldn't have moved away from Norton Internet Security.

And for those of you whom go with free software only I would do the following:

1. Zone Alarm

2. MalwareBytes (install, scan, fix and remove only when needed)

3. CCleaner

4. SpyBot

I used to use AVG free but I've seen it let so many things through but MalwareBytes picks them up and fixes them also, so I don't bother with AVG anymore.

Had some bad experiances with Comodo myself, after i got rid of it I couldn't install anything else as Bitdefender & Kaspersky were telling me to remove Comodo which was removed. Used filesearch and Revo Uninstall to get rid of all the scraps.

You are making me think of going farther with BitDefender :)

As you said, simple. This i want connected to the internet, this not. Short instructions and away we go...

It's not always stupidity you know, sometimes you may receive something from a friend with IT knowladge, the thing may have a nice suprise .. talking from personal experiance. And sometimes I take stuff from privat sites like filelist.ro ; ;) it's always good to have some extra protection.

that's the reason for security essentials

i haven't used any since like 2008

I keep malwarebytes around for on demand scanning.

I so the exact same

I budget build well. Want to learn? PM me if you want advice. 

Avast free paired with Malwarebytes Pro. I may try Ad-aware free.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk RAM: Kingston HyperX Predator RGB 32 GB (4x8GB) DDR4 GPU: EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 SSD: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512 GB NVME | Samsung QVO 1TB SSD  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 4TB | Seagate Barracuda 8TB Case: Phanteks ECLIPSE P600S PSU: Corsair RM850x

I am a gamer, not because I don't have a life, but because I choose to have many.

I run Norton 360

When I got my laptop for X-mas my dad installed Avast free

2 weeks later Avast let in a virus

instantly switched back to Norton

I've also gone through 2 Trojan Horses whenever I got rid of Norton so yeah...