Cherry MX loudness scale

Nexo

Can you guys tell me the loudness scale for all the Cherry MX keys?

There's really no scale. MX Blues and Greens are the loudest, and the rest are personal preference, your loud may be my quiet and vice versa. IMO, blues and greens aren't loud at all. To others, it's a jet engine

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

What do you mean by loudness scale? You just mean which switches are loudest or you want an actual measurement? 

EDIT: It can also depend on how you type and the particular keyboard. I bottom out all of my key presses, and my K95 which uses red switches is still loud because of the metal construction. 

Blues are not too loud for me but if you are in a place that your typing needs to be on the quiet side and you still want the tactile feel i would go with the CHerry MX brown

Christian and Proud of it

Please read the CoC                                                                                                                                                                                                                              My Build Log 

What is the most quiet? Blacks?

If you bottom all of them out, Cherry MX Blue and Green are going to be the loudest of all the common (Red, Black, Blue, Green and Brown) key switches.

I like the color scheme of Noctua fans. Deal with it. Forget about the bad memories of the past.

"wunder you really are as straight as a rainbow" - Lanoi "can I fisterino your nose" - WunderWuffle

Forget about the bad memories of the past, take the good ones along with you through the present, and look forwards to the good things that will come in the future.

What types of key switches are there?

Blue, Green, Brown, Clear, Red, Black; sound good?

Intel i5 6600k~Asus Maximus VIII Hero~G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB DDR4-3200 CL-16~Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury Tri-X~Phanteks Enthoo Pro M~Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB~SeaSonic Snow Silent 750~BenQ XL2730Z QHD 144Hz FreeSync~Cooler Master Seidon 240M~Varmilo VA87M (Cherry MX Brown)~Corsair Vengeance M95~Oppo PM-3~Windows 10 Pro~http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ynmBnQ

Do you guys think black is the most quiet?

Do you guys think black is the most quiet?

Cherry MX Red and Black are probably the quietest out of the common MX switches.

I like the color scheme of Noctua fans. Deal with it. Forget about the bad memories of the past.

"wunder you really are as straight as a rainbow" - Lanoi "can I fisterino your nose" - WunderWuffle

Forget about the bad memories of the past, take the good ones along with you through the present, and look forwards to the good things that will come in the future.

Cherry MX Red and Black are probably the quietest out of the common MX switches.

Alright thanks! :D

I have blues. The loudest part is the keycap bottoming out. I just bought some silicone o-rings from a bead/art shop which dramatically reduced the sound and made them feel nicer.

They measure  5mm ID, 1.8mm wall thickness. Or you can pay 20 times more and buy "mechanical keyboard o-rings"

You guys are crazy. You know you guys are self-destructive. There's a funny farm somewhere and it's got your names written all over it. But I'm gettin' outta here.

What types of key switches are there?

Browns reds blacks clears blues greens and then there are also topre and alps

I have blues. The loudest part is the keycap bottoming out. I just bought some silicone o-rings from a bead/art shop which dramatically reduced the sound and made them feel nicer.

They measure  5mm ID, 1.8mm wall thickness. Or you can pay 20 times more and buy "mechanical keyboard o-rings"

Can you give me a link to these orings?

blues and greens are the clicky's the rest are just different feels, they do not create a noise when there activated bottoming any key though will make more noise

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790k CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i Chassis/Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2  Motherboard: Asus Z87-Deluxe RAM:  Team Vulcan 2x4Gb(2133Mhz)  Video Card: Asus 7970 Direct CU II Custom Rom (150% Power, 1100 core 6Ghz Memory)  Power Supply: Fractal Integra R2 750 Watt  Keyboard: Cooler Master Quick Fire Rapid (MX Blue Switches)  MouseCorsair M90 Storage: SX900 128Gb, Seagate 1TB 7200RPM, WD Green 1TB 7200RPM   MY OLD BUILDLOG

The Fastest 8350 @5.33Ghz with a score of 9.16pts in Cinebench 11.5

Can you give me a link to these orings?

I bought them from a bead shop... as in a shop that sells beads lol.

You just need ones that match the size I posted above, or pay a premium for someone selling them as "keyboard o-rings", like this... http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/products/keyboard-accessories/cherry-mx-rubber-o-ring-switch-dampeners-125pcs.html#ad-image-0

I chose silicone as it's softer than your typical nitrile o-rings and available in "clear", so they are a little more friendly on backlit keyboards like mine. If anything they improve the backlighting effect.

You guys are crazy. You know you guys are self-destructive. There's a funny farm somewhere and it's got your names written all over it. But I'm gettin' outta here.

I find the clicky noise that blues make super obnoxious. 

Rig specs: 3930k | 32GB RAM | GTX580 | Asus PB278 | Corsair K90 | Logitech G700 | HD558's 

How about I test it?!

Base volume (measured by my mobile phone, using same distance and placement of the key on a key base for a sample tester kit of switches).

Base volume - 37Db

Any of the keys bottomed out is 56-60Db pretty reliably. But testing my Corsair K70 (Reds) it comes out around 81Db bottomed out and 70-73 Db without bottoming out so more noise will occur on a keyboard compared to my key tester.

On the key tester pad (much quieter):

Reds 40 DB activated

Blues 48-53Db activated

Browns 40Db activated

Clear 43Db activated

Black 41-42Db activated

So there you have it Reds/Browns, Blacks, Clear, Blues in that order, blues are more than 2x as loud at activation point compared to the others. Most keys are barely above background noise.

They're all in inches. You will have to convert and match the sizes as close as possible. 4-5mm ID and 1.8-2.0mm thickness.

i think we should consider the type of material they baseplate of the keyboard is constructed from.

bottoming out my DASKeyboard isnt as loud as my Filco.. that thing is clanky as

blues and green switches make their own clickly sound IN ADDITION to any bottomining-out sound.

:)

you can suppress the sound of bottoming-out by using Dampeners.. there are various kinds but the ones ive tried are from WASD.

they sacifice Travel and may introduce squigginess when bottoming out to varying effect, based on the type of Dampener

The material of the keyboard makes a big difference on my testing. My K70 has a metal base and it produces a significantly louder noise than the same key on a plastic key tester, as I showed with my previous post. Mechanical keys aren't quiet but its very noticeable how much louder they can be made based on how they are mounted.

I removed the O-rings that came preinstalled in my Logitech G710+ with brown switches. I think it feels way better without them. May be different for blues.

Case: Fractal Design R4  Motherboard: Asus Z87-Plus  Processor: Intel i7 4770K  GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X  RAM: Corsair Vengenace Pro 16GB  PSU: Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 10 750W  SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB   Monitor(s): LG 24GM77  Keyboard: Logitech G410  Mouse: Zowie EC1-A  Mousepad: Puretrak Talent White Ed.  Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud II

• 1 year later...

This is 1 year later, i understand. But if anyone is reading this, are rubber domes more quiet than mx reds?

If you play Geometry Dash, would you take the time to rate this demon? 14986973 ;3;