Does it actually matter which AIB RTX 3080 card you buy?

MarioKart641
Go to solution Solved by MarioKart641,

Thanks folks :)

I'll read up on build quality/durability as it's a more important factor for me personally over benchmark performance.

Hi All,

Relative newbie here... I've been looking at the reviews of the new RTX 3080 performance for all the AIB cards in the market.

As an enthusiast who's not too fussed about peak performance i.e. overclocking, I don't see too much difference between the AIB cards apart from a few extra frames per second and marginally lower gpu temp.

Does it actually matter which card I end up getting? Like, it is going to be a game changer between the MSI Gaming X Trio vs the Zotac Trinity?

I'm looking to build a 1440p ultrawide gaming setup to play the latest AAA titles with a 120Hz refresh rate. Looking for more immersion in games rather than lowest response times for FPS.

Thanks

yes and no

Zotac trinity might be bad, but as long as it functions, then it's just like any other 3080, maybe within 5% perf difference at most (longetivity is another thing but -shrug-)

but if you're paying $700, wouldnt hurt to find out which card is better built anyways

asus TUF sells for the same price (MSRP anyways) and it's miles better from what i can tell from reviews

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Well if you don't care about the few extra frames and lower temperature, not really. I guess the first months the biggest difference will be availability. I'd pick an AIB that gets good reviews generally across generations of GPU, mostly looking at build quality and customer service (in case of RMA), and which has a card that looks good if you have a window in your case.

PSU tier list // Motherboard tier list // Community Standards 

My System:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, Gigabyte RTX 3060TI Gaming OC ProFractal Design Meshify C TG, 2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200MHz, MSI B450 Gaming Plus MaxSamsung 850 EVO 512GB, 2TB WD BlueCorsair RM850x, LG 27GL83A-B

They all deliver similar performance. I'd be looking at temperature, noise, and build quality as bigger deciding factors with these cards.

The MSI, Asus, and Gigabyte all seem great and better than the FE. I haven't seen a great review of the EVGA yet.

Zotac seems a bit worse than those cards.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

13 minutes ago, MarioKart641 said:

Does it actually matter which card I end up getting?

Typically no, but there are exceptions, like e.g. how Asus really screwed the pooch with the Asus TUF 5700 XT -- when used in a testbed, the card worked fine, but due to serious mistake Asus made, the heatsink couldn't maintain proper mounting-pressure when in a normal case and the card ran stupid-hot and throttled heavily.

This is to say, always read a couple of reviews first.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

I'll read up on build quality/durability as it's a more important factor for me personally over benchmark performance.

3 hours ago, MarioKart641 said:

For that, there really isn't much info yet. Just make sure to get one with a backplate, and you should be good.

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms