GummyChicken's MadLab

GummyChicken

*Dr. Weird's theme, South Jersey Shore*

Greetings and welcome to this superflous but possibly interesting thread, where i have access to a garage and scrap stuff and try to turn it into other scrap stuff.

Why? Well because [*lost in translation*]. Do not be afraid to bring criticism, nothing made by me is professional.

Let us start with something that [spoilers] is actually a mildly success, the

FRANKEN-STOCK

the amalgamation of two old cpu stock alluminum coolers (pic 1),the bigger one from an old 775 and the smaller one from a stock 1151, both stiched together with an hollow alluminum rod (first drilled the two and then hammered together).

After that, i took measurements to my "office computer" that works with +fm2 mobo and A10-5700 cpu. With a whole morning spent on measurements (because my science works differently), i started working on a flat steel rod: with metal files, rivets, metal hollow rod and lost hair, i managed to give a shape to the "feet" and screwed to the big bulky body (pic 2).

After that, i removed the stock +fm2 cooler and managed to place it into the PC (pic 3).

The results are...

...actually kinds overkill for this type of configuration but still, IT WORKS! (pic 4).

Temperatures are fine (rappresented are in idle), since it is a 400g bulk of aluminum that sucks up all the heat.

So... it works. Any suggestions? More stuff will come in the future, as long as i have scrap stuff, imagination and not the will to study, see you soon

1_FS.jpg

2_FSbracket.jpg

3_FS_done.jpg

4 FS temp.png

i squee.

from my bottom.

of my heart

what's the temp of each cooler before you fused them? load temps?

cant imagine the heat would get to the top of the heatsink well, where there's most airflow

i rate it 10/10 jank 👍

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

i'll try my best to answer:

Moonzy: the two heatsinks could not be tested singularly since they were from different sockets and CPUs. By my researches i can tell that the 1151 stock one (the small one) has for sure a very limited TDP by itself (it worked "fine enough" with an i7-6700, a 65W) meanwhile the 775 heatsink (big one) is unknown since i found it in... actually, i cannot remember where i found it, for sure it was laying around for a few years.

The Franken-stock right now is replacing the fm2 stick heatsink which was used to cool a previous a4-4000 (52w) and now a10-5700 (65w).

P.s. the perfect rating ❤️

JamesEvens: i even forgot that thing existed: my Monster is a historical demonstation of how intel heatsinks "shrank down" during the years.

My original project was to try something slightly different: as seen on the first pic, i used a small diameter hollow aluminum rod.

My idea was to use a larger copper tube to stitch the two parts so it could allow for a larger hollow center, granting a better air flow and saving a bit of weight. Idea that has been left behind for now because i wanted to prove if the project by itself could be done by my limited resources, which is a yes

Follow up P.s.: re-added the stock fm2 cooler for further testing and interesting things happened: even if the average cpu usage is around 25% with both coolers, the temperature varies from 65 C to 75 C.

i will try to apply the original concept to my Monster to see if it actually will make a difference

i squee.

from my bottom.

of my heart

After some evaluation and some inspiration from (big shock) Linus (Sketchy Heatsink series), i dedided to try different approach:

since the Frankenstock was based on the principle that "more mass will give surely some improvements" (404 improvement not found), i've decided to divide the two original heatsinks but to still drill a 12mm hole in the center (pic 1): meanwhile the slimmer 1151 heatsink will remain vacant for a future Franken-stock, i will try with the 775 one, since the fan is actually it's own original one and the bracket is still ready for use (pic 2).

More news in the future

P.s.: i have no name for this one, sorry

IMG_20200924_100417 - Copia.jpg

IMG_20200924_100545 - Copia.jpg

i squee.

from my bottom.

of my heart

I totally agree with @Moonzy. 10/10 jank.

However it'd be interesting to see what happens, if you use heatpipes and maybe thermal compound in the holes for those heatpipes.

in the meantime, while i wait to get some thermal paste, here is another specimen from the past:

this heatsink has been scavenged from a decomissioned Dell Optilex from 2004 (in the sidepanel of the proprietary case there was stamped the date) that was sitting in my uncle's office (pic1).

This specimen is especially interesting since it has 6 heatpipes and even a copper base (pic2), however i found it in a half cracked plastic breacket and the fan was not attached directly to the heatsink but connected through a plastic "tunnel" to a side mounted 5 pin fan (astonishing).

Here's my resurrection planning:

- (pic3) i attached the intel stock cooler fan through a "temporary" device (pic 4 and yes, i need to create something more stable, less intrusive to the fan flow and possibly nicer to look)

- since it was originally though to be attached to the mobo thorugh proprietary bracket, i need to see if i can use the aluminum sides as base  for the new bracket

This has the potential to be a pretty effective boyo, that's why i decided to nickname it the

CATS'N'COOL

because... *shrugs*

IMG_20201002_163153.jpg

IMG_20201002_163219.jpg

IMG_20201002_163244.jpg

IMG_20200311_175336.jpg

i squee.

from my bottom.

of my heart

19 hours ago, GummyChicken said:

in the meantime, while i wait to get some thermal paste, here is another specimen from the past:

this heatsink has been scavenged from a decomissioned Dell Optilex from 2004 (in the sidepanel of the proprietary case there was stamped the date) that was sitting in my uncle's office (pic1).

This specimen is especially interesting since it has 6 heatpipes and even a copper base (pic2), however i found it in a half cracked plastic breacket and the fan was not attached directly to the heatsink but connected through a plastic "tunnel" to a side mounted 5 pin fan (astonishing).

Here's my resurrection planning:

- (pic3) i attached the intel stock cooler fan through a "temporary" device (pic 4 and yes, i need to create something more stable, less intrusive to the fan flow and possibly nicer to look)

- since it was originally though to be attached to the mobo thorugh proprietary bracket, i need to see if i can use the aluminum sides as base  for the new bracket

This has the potential to be a pretty effective boyo, that's why i decided to nickname it the

CATS'N'COOL

because... *shrugs*

IMG_20201002_163153.jpg

IMG_20201002_163219.jpg

IMG_20201002_163244.jpg

IMG_20200311_175336.jpg

You'd just need a proper mounting bracket for the cooler and you basically have a quite a good cooler.

• 2 weeks later...

i decided to hack the intel stock fan a little more: i sawed off the 4 plastic "attachment feet" and attached the fan to the side of the heatsink through the original "heatsink attachment". Semplification that comes with many positives:

- removed iron wiring that went all around the heatsink, removed the dual homemade scrap support, removed nuts and bolts (see previous photos);

- still solid yet no rattlings;

- probably better airflow (no scrap support and fan closer to the heatsink)

- aestetically pleasing

so, mounting bracket aside, it's

nice

p.s.: should i resize images or bigger is better?

IMG_20201013_182758.jpg

IMG_20201013_182739.jpg

IMG_20201013_182727.jpg

i squee.

from my bottom.

of my heart

• 2 months later...

"gentlemen, behold!"

i continue the old thread, with more jank! And the next one is the jankiest of them all so far! i nicknamed it the

scREEEn

my old laptop's screen, vivisected, grafted with a control board and transplanted in this first emergency hand made plexiglass casing. The two aluminum tubes will be the vertical support on the sides of the device, making it a portable screen powered by an old modem plug.

As seen on the last photo, it works perfectly! infact i am typing on it right now.
it can be disassembled, folded and inserted into a small pocket to be a (good) portable screen.

IMG_20201220_152954.jpg

IMG_20201219_173301.jpg

IMG_20201220_153018.jpg

IMG_20201227_163901.thumb.jpg.7eef683c1f0b99e2bd576597becdaec9.jpg

IMG_20201220_160454.jpg

i squee.

from my bottom.

of my heart