Wired Connection Problem, probably IP Conflict

8 minutes ago, Aditya Dighe said:

Yea okay, then you have to go ahead with reinstall. Or rather just refresh your PC, instead of entirely reinstalling ? It is easy too, Your Programs remain same. Just download Windows, open setup.exe . Or do it form advanced options.

I'll try them both ahahahahaha

Thank you :>> I'll update this after nuking it with a reinstall on sunday aahaha

10 minutes ago, Aditya Dighe said:

Yea okay, then you have to go ahead with reinstall. Or rather just refresh your PC, instead of entirely reinstalling ? It is easy too, Your Programs remain same. Just download Windows, open setup.exe . Or do it form advanced options.

I'm not a fan of doing the "refresh" because if it is a third party program causing the issues then nothing will change.

A complete reinstall is the only way to make sure whatever is causing the issues goes away.

58 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

I'm not a fan of doing the "refresh" because if it is a third party program causing the issues then nothing will change.

A complete reinstall is the only way to make sure whatever is causing the issues goes away.

There is Safe mode for that using advanced startup.

I know that also won't 100% guarantee you that a specific program is not causing a problem, but many people have many important apps like office, photoshop, Adobe Premiere Pro, which need to be activated. Some settings need to be done again. Although this more applies to an enterprise PC and just for consumer PC doing a complete fresh install is more easy, other backups also need to be taken, of C drive ( desktop, documents, etc) ....  That is why the refresh was introduced. 

Also then there is another type of upgrade - which installs the same version of windows (if you have the setup) just without the apps. And then it is the Complete wipe and install. If he personally has tried so many anti-virus apps, I don't think there is a virus. Personally - I don't install any antivirus app, Windows Security does its jobs well, others are a bit burden to the PC (especially a bit older ones) . System Restore is also there, if just a newly installed app causes an issue

The problem could be due to multiple reasons

Out of which we ruled out - Router, Cable and connector - because his sister's PC works just fine, no connection time outs in ping, even when he connects the LAN Cable connected to his PC to his sister's PC.

Now it Could be PC/ Drivers/Windows/Registry , Ethernet add-in card, or that particular RJ45 socket. He seems to have tried sfc scannow and DISM , but these commands always don't guarantee the working.

9 minutes ago, Aditya Dighe said:

There is Safe mode for that using advanced startup.

I know that also won't 100% guarantee you that a specific program is not causing a problem, but many people have many important apps like office, photoshop, Adobe Premiere Pro, which need to be activated. Some settings need to be done again. Although this more applies to an enterprise PC and just for consumer PC doing a complete fresh install is more easy, other backups also need to be taken, of C drive ( desktop, documents, etc) ....  That is why the refresh was introduced. 

Also then there is another type of upgrade - which installs the same version of windows (if you have the setup) just without the apps. And then it is the Complete wipe and install. If he personally has tried so many anti-virus apps, I don't think there is a virus. Personally - I don't install any antivirus app, Windows Security does its jobs well, others are a bit burden to the PC (especially a bit older ones) . System Restore is also there, if just a newly installed app causes an issue

The problem could be due to multiple reasons

Out of which we ruled out - Router, Cable and connector - because his sister's PC works just fine, no connection time outs in ping, even when he connects the LAN Cable connected to his PC to his sister's PC.

Now it Could be PC/ Drivers/Windows/Registry , Ethernet add-in card, or that particular RJ45 socket. He seems to have tried sfc scannow and DISM , but these commands always don't guarantee the working.

An application from my sister's tutoring (named acadsoc) was actually denied to access the camera.

I didn't see the log files but it is similar to what happened yesterday before I switched to BitDefender is that there were 8 blocked sites(?) from Avast and I am leaning now to the problem that my pc is now prone to dns attacks

2 minutes ago, Martin Jr. Nalugon said:

An application from my sister's tutoring (named acadsoc) was actually denied to access the camera.

I didn't see the log files but it is similar to what happened yesterday before I switched to BitDefender is that there were 8 blocked sites(?) from Avast and I am leaning now to the problem that my pc is now prone to dns attacks

I wouldn't worry about DNS attacks on a local secured network, that's more of an issue that happens to public websites and perhaps your ISP. 

I know some of these may have already been covered, but just some things to think about if your reinstall doesn't fix your issue: 

• When your internet cuts can you ping other devices on your local network - can you ping your default gateway (hopefully your router) when your internet cuts? 
  • Have you checked Event Viewer (you can search for it in start), check out the System and Application logs after your internet cuts.   Look through it and report through any driver issues, or any reported issues with the network.  - usually the cause of the issue won't be the event itself but events around the event. 

If for some reason you are infected with malware, which is pretty unlikely if you have good antivirus (most targeted attacks happen to organizations and governments) then reinstalling should definitely resolve your issue. 

My best guess is it's a driver issue, either way, check your event logs if you get another cut out and send us through anything of concern.  It will give us more information about what's going on. 

17 minutes ago, Akolyte said:

I wouldn't worry about DNS attacks on a local secured network, that's more of an issue that happens to public websites and perhaps your ISP. 

I know some of these may have already been covered, but just some things to think about if your reinstall doesn't fix your issue: 

• When your internet cuts can you ping other devices on your local network - can you ping your default gateway (hopefully your router) when your internet cuts? 
  • Have you checked Event Viewer (you can search for it in start), check out the System and Application logs after your internet cuts.   Look through it and report through any driver issues, or any reported issues with the network.  - usually the cause of the issue won't be the event itself but events around the event. 

If for some reason you are infected with malware, which is pretty unlikely if you have good antivirus (most targeted attacks happen to organizations and governments) then reinstalling should definitely resolve your issue. 

My best guess is it's a driver issue, either way, check your event logs if you get another cut out and send us through anything of concern.  It will give us more information about what's going on. 

I'll report to this thread upon having another disconnection 

For some news I used the LAN driver from my mobo's manufacturer and I am going to see if there are anymore problems occuring next.

The last driver was from realtek, the 2020 version which did work but still has that occuring disconnection.

Next is that I used the mobo's recommended driver from ASUS (Mobo model: H110m-d) and it worked so far. There was however another problem that occured and it was "Ethernet" was not properly configured like that (I forgot the error message), it had problems detecting the wired connection so...

i reinstalled the driver which was the 2020 version and then it didn't work. Hooked up my wifi adapter thus searched the mobo's specific lan river which was a 2017 version one and it worked. 

I'll try and update any news if the frequent "ethernet is connected but no internet" problem is still going on tomorrow.

I'm still leaning to reinstall windows though to also clear up my C : Drive and possibly fix the problem with it

2 minutes ago, Martin Jr. Nalugon said:

I'll report to this thread upon having another disconnection 

For some news I used the LAN driver from my mobo's manufacturer and I am going to see if there are anymore problems occuring next.

The last driver was from realtek, the 2020 version which did work but still has that occuring disconnection.

Next is that I used the mobo's recommended driver from ASUS (Mobo model: H110m-d) and it worked so far. There was however another problem that occured and it was "Ethernet" was not properly configured like that (I forgot the error message), it had problems detecting the wired connection so...

i reinstalled the driver which was the 2020 version and then it didn't work. Hooked up my wifi adapter thus searched the mobo's specific lan river which was a 2017 version one and it worked. 

I'll try and update any news if the frequent "ethernet is connected but no internet" problem is still going on tomorrow.

I'm still leaning to reinstall windows though to also clear up my 😄 Drive and possibly fix the problem with it

Generally reinstalling helps anyway, antivirus could also cause issues.  Pretty much everything on your system could, that's the thing about Windows it's enormously complex, and you can't really have a granular control or view of anything because it's all just kinda jumbled together.  At least from my experience anyway. 

*UPDATE* 

sorry a bit late, its 12:40 AM as of 28/09/2020 and I also reinstalled windows twice to make sure that there isn't anymore viruses (because my sister used it in a jiffy with her app and we will get into it a bit)

basically all of these problems were not caused by ip conflicts or faulty hardware

i checked everything from pinging them from in cmd to see if there were any loss

• ping 8.8.8.8 -t 
  • ping 127.0.0.1
  • and pinging my router's ip address 

So my sister's app is causing the network to crash which was a Spoof attack from according to my brother and explains on to why my Instagram got hijacked last week. My brother launched a program called Xarp which they use for cybersecurity (probably)  from his past job.

The application or program is either Acadsoc or ClassIn (ClassIn is a virtual classroom like Zoom) and these are the 2 apps that is used by my sister for her teaching students from her agency which is Acadsoc and is requiring ClassIn as their go to program.

My brother did suggest buying a better router with a built-in firewall but I said to him to hold on to it because it is going to be a joint project by the family.

All I can say that my connection is getting spoof attacks which explains all of those downtimes and also "Ethernet Connected but no Internet Connection" problem that I am posting to this thread.

@Aditya Dighe Thank you for your advices :'>>> they helped a ton and also @LAwLz for boosting my moral when this kept happening and to all the people that helped on this thread.

If there are any recommendations and procedures you guys want to help and say here in order to prevent spoofing will be really appreciated ahahhahah, I'm sorry if I sound a bit demanding but I really don't have a single clue in cybersecurity. 

I don't know much about cybersecurity. But there isn't anything similar happening on your sister's PC because she is using all the apps ? Or didn't any of her friends face any other issues ? Seems like a Man in the middle attack or DoS ? .

If you are sure, about the attack, you can do one thing. Make an Account on Cisco Open DNS.  Force your router to Use Open DNS by setting DNS server in WAN to 208.67.222.222 and Alternate DNS Server to 208.67.220.220. Also install Open DNS updater app. After that before 12am night, shut off all other network devices, except your pc ( don't keep any app open ) . and the next day morning , open DNS will show you logs which Domains and websites were accessed.

If there are many, you can't block all, some are ad-related websites, (some are those windows update, time update, windows live tile updates) , so set the PC To metered connection temporary. Also if you block those ads, your web-page load times would get slow, because browsers load webpage - element by element , and they will wait for a longtime for ad to load, until being timed out. From OPEN DNS you will also get which domain was accessed the most - from there you can get a clue if it is a legitimate or not, and block that domain in opendns, so it stops further transmission of any data packets.

Currently I have blocked my router's one of its own server, because it access that domain 1400 times per day ! .. It is also from a Chinese company Tenda.

Once you block a domain, and if you manually access it from browser, you will see something like this 

image.thumb.png.177bc8fb4069f260218adb936ca496fc.png

25 minutes ago, Aditya Dighe said:

I don't know much about cybersecurity. But there isn't anything similar happening on your sister's PC because she is using all the apps ? Or didn't any of her friends face any other issues ? Seems like a Man in the middle attack or DoS ? .

If you are sure, about the attack, you can do one thing. Make an Account on Cisco Open DNS.  Force your router to Use Open DNS by setting DNS server in WAN to 208.67.222.222 and Alternate DNS Server to 208.67.220.220. Also install Open DNS updater app. After that before 12am night, shut off all other network devices, except your pc ( don't keep any app open ) . and the next day morning , open DNS will show you logs which Domains and websites were accessed.

If there are many, you can't block all, some are ad-related websites, (some are those windows update, time update, windows live tile updates) , so set the PC To metered connection temporary. Also if you block those ads, your web-page load times would get slow, because browsers load webpage - element by element , and they will wait for a longtime for ad to load, until being timed out. From OPEN DNS you will also get which domain was accessed the most - from there you can get a clue if it is a legitimate or not, and block that domain in opendns, so it stops further transmission of any data packets.

Currently I have blocked my router's one of its own server, because it access that domain 1400 times per day ! .. It is also from a Chinese company Tenda.

Once you block a domain, and if you manually access it from browser, you will see something like this 

image.thumb.png.177bc8fb4069f260218adb936ca496fc.png

I'll try this out with my brother because he is the one that knows the router's username and password.

Thank you for this information ::__:: but do you recommend VM's?  

15 hours ago, Martin Jr. Nalugon said:

I'll try this out with my brother because he is the one that knows the router's username and password.

Thank you for this information ::__:: but do you recommend VM's?  

Virtual machines ? No Why do you need a one though ? I mean you think something will happen to your VM first( in a rare case ) and it won't affect your PC and you may then simply copy the data and start another virtual machine and a new windows ?  ... But anything that is going to get plugged in, ( like a pendrive ) is to your computer , and communication ports of virtual machine ? Still there will be little advantages of security , but won't recommend it. But it will slowdown your performance a bit.

On 9/29/2020 at 1:47 AM, Aditya Dighe said:

Virtual machines ? No Why do you need a one though ? I mean you think something will happen to your VM first( in a rare case ) and it won't affect your PC and you may then simply copy the data and start another virtual machine and a new windows ?  ... But anything that is going to get plugged in, ( like a pendrive ) is to your computer , and communication ports of virtual machine ? Still there will be little advantages of security , but won't recommend it. But it will slowdown your performance a bit.

That's what I concluded also when I searched about VM's

im using eset's trail for now and it works, everything is working fine for 2 days now

im thinking of using snort for an IDS like eset's built in IDS protection for possible ARP spoofing 

would you recommend snort? and paired it with a anti-virus firewall for more protection? 

On 9/30/2020 at 10:36 AM, Martin Jr. Nalugon said:

That's what I concluded also when I searched about VM's

im using eset's trail for now and it works, everything is working fine for 2 days now

im thinking of using snort for an IDS like eset's built in IDS protection for possible ARP spoofing 

would you recommend snort? and paired it with a anti-virus firewall for more protection? 

Really haven't used eset... can't say much ! Sorry for the late reply...