Beter wait for the 3070?

JoeyThePixelGuy

HI guys i wanted to upgrade but i don't know what to get right now.

i want to get the 3080 but i don't really know if i need the 3070 or 3080 so i am asking for some advice.

i am currently running on a R7 1800X stock with 16gb ram i still have the gtx 1080 but that one is sold when i get a new card.

i am using a 1080P 144Hz screen 

What i mostly play is Virtual reality like VRchat and beatsaber, i havent played a triple A game in a year or so but i want to get back playing them only if i get a new card.

I wont be upgrading my CPU and Screen for atleast a year or 2.

If i need to address more info just ask pls.

You probably wouldn't need more than the 3070 at 1080p.

"I try to put good out into the world...that way I can believe it's out there." --CKN                  “How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.” --Wayne Dyer            

[Needs Updating] My PC: i5-10600K @TBD / 32GB DDR4 @4000MHz / Z490 AORUS Elite AC / Titan RTX / Samsung 1TB 960 Evo / EVGA SuperNova 850 T2

3080 is a waste for 1080p 144Hz monitor. Even 3070 is plenty for 1440p 144Hz, if 3070 is indeed performing similarly to 2080Ti.

1 hour ago, GuruMeditationError said:

You probably wouldn't need more than the 3070 at 1080p.

That's right but if OP can afford the 3080 it would still be a better option for "future proofing" perhaps.

I only get a 3070 because that's all I can afford, otherwise this would be no question (for me)

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 hour ago, JoeyThePixelGuy said:

HI guys i wanted to upgrade but i don't know what to get right now.

i want to get the 3080 but i don't really know if i need the 3070 or 3080 so i am asking for some advice.

i am currently running on a R7 1800X stock with 16gb ram i still have the gtx 1080 but that one is sold when i get a new card.

i am using a 1080P 144Hz screen 

What i mostly play is Virtual reality like VRchat and beatsaber, i havent played a triple A game in a year or so but i want to get back playing them only if i get a new card.

I wont be upgrading my CPU and Screen for atleast a year or 2.

If i need to address more info just ask pls.

14 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

That's right but if OP can afford the 3080 it would still be a better option for "future proofing" perhaps.

I only get a 3070 because that's all I can afford, otherwise this would be no question (for me)

@JoeyThePixelGuy 3080 might be useful to you when you finally do upgrade. It excells at 4K although some think the 10GB RAM is too little for 4K going forward; it's 1440p performance is not as good as its 4K performance.

If you're upgrading to a 1440p screen in a year from now or longer it might be worth seeing what's available around that time. There'll probably be a refresh about that time, certainly in 2 years, if not the 4000 series on the horizon.

If you bought a 3080 now it could hold its value if you wanted to sell it in a year or so, when you upgrade your monitor, but it might be better to save the money up front and just go with a 3070.  

"I try to put good out into the world...that way I can believe it's out there." --CKN                  “How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.” --Wayne Dyer            

[Needs Updating] My PC: i5-10600K @TBD / 32GB DDR4 @4000MHz / Z490 AORUS Elite AC / Titan RTX / Samsung 1TB 960 Evo / EVGA SuperNova 850 T2

What about an ultrawide 1440p 120Hz monitor?  Will those extra pixels need the 3080, or should 3070 suffice.