Connecting Audioengine A2's with usb to computer

CheekyBugger

I´m looking for a pair of desktop speakers for my computer and found a used pair of Audioengine A2´s (70 bucks, is that a fair price?) and i´m wondering how i could connect these to the rear of my pc, directly to the motherboard. Would a simple USB-2RCA cable do the job? Or does it have be powered to work? If so a link would be appreciated :)

I´m referring to one of these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/SODIAL-Phono-Cable-Audio-Adapter-Black/dp/B07M74BYXF/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=USB+to+2RCA&qid=1600188760&sr=8-1

Motherboard: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-Z97P-D3-rev-10#ov

38 minutes ago, nox_ said:

They are powered. Why usb though?https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-3-5mm-2-Male-Adapter-Stereo/dp/B01D5H8JW0 just use this.

or 3,5mm to 3,5mm cable that should be included.

Because i want to connect it to the rear of my case, and i assume i can only use the usb-ports there and not any of the other ports. Is that correct? (i linked to the motherboard in the post) But you´re saying that the cable that i linked in my post will work?

Id use the jack to phono cable.

On your motherboard is a audio converter which turns digital 1 and 0s into a sound wave(called a DAC digital to analogue convert). The same thing is in that USB cable. The questions is do you want to use the cable or your motherboard to covert the digital signal. Your motherboard company has spent a lot of money developing and manufacture the audio processing while that cheap usb cables from china has spent pennies.

Those speakers also have a USB input so maybe could just use a USB cable to connect them.

1 minute ago, Ahoy Hoy said:

Id use the jack to phono cable.

On your motherboard is a audio converter which turns digital 1 and 0s into a sound wave(called a DAC digital to analogue convert). The same thing is in that USB cable. The questions is do you want to use the cable or your motherboard to covert the digital signal. Your motherboard company has spent a lot of money developing and manufacture the audio processing while that cheap usb cables from china has spent pennies.

Those speakers also have a USB input so maybe could just use a USB cable to connect them.

The one i´ve found is the old A2 model which don´t have usb in. The A2+ does. 

So what cable can i use that connects to the back of my pc (on the motherboard) to the speakers? I know that the speakers themselves are powered.

1 minute ago, CheekyBugger said:

The one i´ve found is the old A2 model which don´t have usb in. The A2+ does. 

So what cable can i use that connects to the back of my pc (on the motherboard) to the speakers? I know that the speakers themselves are powered.

My bad. But still 70 is a great price for those speakers.

44 minutes ago, nox_ said:

They are powered. Why usb though?https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-3-5mm-2-Male-Adapter-Stereo/dp/B01D5H8JW0 just use this.

or 3,5mm to 3,5mm cable that should be included.

The one Nox recommended.

On the back of your motherboard you got audio outputs. Jack end of the cable into the green hole then the two phonos into the speakersimage.png.35617db92b3db517633135fadd56b917.png

Obviously i know i can use a 3.5mm to 2-Male RCA or 3.5mm-3.5mm cable but that jack is at the front of the case. I want to connect my speakers to the rear of the case.

11 minutes ago, CheekyBugger said:

and i assume i can only use the usb-ports there and not any of the other ports. Is that correct?

No, you are not limited to usb ports. You can connect it to the back of the mb using included 3,5 mm to 3,5 mm, pretty much every mb has 3,5mm audio jack, on your mb it's here : 10153_src.png.caebf6ab13034c9d0d9ef38785de4d23.png,  or you can use the cable you linked, my cable that i linked. But why buy something when there is a cable included?

Obviously i know i can use a 3.5mm to 2-Male RCA or 3.5mm-3.5mm cable but that jack is at the front of the case. I want to connect my speakers to the rear of the case.

there is one at the back...

1 minute ago, Ahoy Hoy said:

My bad. But still 70 is a great price for those speakers.

The one Nox recommended.

On the back of your motherboard you got audio outputs. Jack end of the cable into the green hole then the two phonos into the speakersimage.png.35617db92b3db517633135fadd56b917.png

Oh ok i didn´t know that green was for audio! So this one is all i need? : https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-3-5mm-2-Male-Adapter-Stereo/dp/B01D5H8JW0

2 minutes ago, nox_ said:

or just use 3,5mm to 3mm that is included. but yeah, you can use this.

Any difference in SQ?

No difference in SQ?

Shouldn't be. You can always get an rca to 3,5mm if there are any issues. I don't own these speakers, can't say for sure, but it should be fine.

2 minutes ago, CheekyBugger said:

Great, thanks for the quick help to both of you!

Happy to help.