Can custom fan curves damage your fans quicker ?

Diegonnc

So as the title says thats pretty much my main concern , i got this brand new rx 580 phantom gaming and im just here sitting on msi trying to figure out the best fan curve for it as i read somewhere else that making the fans jump between speeds too much may damage them quicker ? , i just dont know . Also this card came with his own software to control everything automatically but i just cant use riva tunner with it (to check gpu statistic in game) as i need to open msi afterburner making everything kind of a hassle (thats why i just wanted to make everything work using just msi afterburner and avoiding the phantom gaming app) . 

I attached the fan curve im using at the moment and playing "outer worlds" at max settings the card peaked at 59°c which i think its kinda high i want to avoid reaching 60 if i can so i can get longer life span on the card but at the same time i dont want to have the gpu fans at max speed coz of noise , can someone please recommend me some nice curve for it ?

fan curve.jpg

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

those temps are fine, 80c is fine, you don't need to keep it that cool.

But that should affect the fans lifespan too much, they normally last much longer than the card is usable for.

80°c is fine ? jesus i never went more than 60°c with this one 

1 minute ago, Diegonnc said:

yea, they start to trottle the chip at 85c, so you really don't need to keep it that cool. Just let the fans spin at stock and your fine. That curve just seems to make it louder than it would need to be.

If you really want to limit the temperature of the card (which there is no reason to do as stated above) then you should be looking at the temp limit slider in MSI Afterburner, not the fan curve. Leave the fan curve on auto, and adjust the temp limit slider to 60C if you want.

image.png.df3cfdece1414e4313c84741877599c4.png

BabyBlu (Primary): 

• CPU: Intel Core i9 9900K @ up to 5.3GHz, 5.0GHz all-core, delidded
  • Motherboard: Asus Maximus XI Hero
  • RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 @ 4000MHz 16-18-18-34
  • GPU: MSI RTX 2080 Sea Hawk EK X, 2070MHz core, 8000MHz mem
  • Case: Phanteks Evolv X
  • Storage: XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB, 3x ADATASU800 1TB (RAID 0), Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB
  • PSU: Corsair HX1000i
  • Display: MSI MPG341CQR 34" 3440x1440 144Hz Freesync, Dell S2417DG 24" 2560x1440 165Hz Gsync
  • Cooling: Custom water loop (CPU & GPU), Radiators: 1x140mm(Back), 1x280mm(Top), 1x420mm(Front)
  • Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RGB (Cherry MX Brown)
  • Mouse: MasterMouse MM710
  • Headset: Corsair Void Pro RGB

Roxanne (Wife Build):

• CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ up to 5.0GHz, 4.8Ghz all-core, relidded w/ LM
  • Motherboard: Asus Z97A
  • RAM: G.Skill Sniper 4x8GB DDR3-2400 @ 10-12-12-24
  • GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 w/ LM
  • Case: Corsair Vengeance C70, w/ Custom Side-Panel Window
  • Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Silicon Power A80 2TB NVME
  • PSU: Corsair AX760
  • Display: Samsung C27JG56 27" 2560x1440 144Hz Freesync
  • Cooling: Corsair H115i RGB
  • Keyboard: GMMK TKL(Kailh Box White)
  • Mouse: Glorious Model O-
  • Headset: SteelSeries Arctis 7

BigBox (HTPC):

• CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3600 @ 3600MHz 14-14-14-28
  • GPU: MSI RTX 3080 Ventus 3X Plus OC, de-shrouded, LM TIM, replaced mem therm pads
  • Case: Fractal Design Node 202
  • Storage: SP A80 1TB, WD Black SN770 2TB
  • PSU: Corsair SF600 Gold w/ NF-A9x14
  • Display: Samsung QN90A 65" (QLED, 4K, 120Hz, HDR, VRR)
  • Cooling: Thermalright AXP-100 Copper w/ NF-A12x15
  • Keyboard/Mouse: Rii i4
  • Controllers: 4X Xbox One & 2X N64 (with USB)
  • Sound: Denon AVR S760H with 5.1.2 Atmos setup.

Harmonic (NAS/Game/Plex/Other Server):

• CPU: Intel Core i7 6700
  • Motherboard: ASRock FATAL1TY H270M
  • RAM: 64GB DDR4-2133
  • GPU: Intel HD Graphics 530
  • Case: Fractal Design Define 7
  • HDD: 3X Seagate Exos X16 14TB in RAID 5
  • SSD: Inland Premium 512GB NVME, Sabrent 1TB NVME
  • Optical: BDXL WH14NS40 flashed to WH16NS60
  • PSU: Corsair CX450
  • Display: None
  • Cooling: Noctua NH-U14S
  • Keyboard/Mouse: None

NAS:

• Synology DS216J
  • 2x8TB WD Red NAS HDDs in RAID 1. 8TB usable space

1 hour ago, HairlessMonkeyBoy said:

If you really want to limit the temperature of the card (which there is no reason to do as stated above) then you should be looking at the temp limit slider in MSI Afterburner

Does not apply to AMD cards last I checked.

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

8 hours ago, Diegonnc said:

60 is really low. You can allow it to get to about 70 without any problems at all. I always keep my temps between 70 and 80, but I push cards to overclock limits (or close to it, within the allowed extra power draw for a given model)

7 minutes ago, HumdrumPenguin said:

60 is really low. You can allow it to get to about 70 without any problems at all. I always keep my temps between 70 and 80, but I push cards to overclock limits (or close to it, within the allowed extra power draw for a given model)

On the 5700 XT, it's not doing any harm to get up to 100°c on any of the components. It's only a problem if you exceed 110°c.

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

Been running my r9 290 card for a few years now at 80-90 degrees and nothing happened in that time. Still runs fine. Fan curve is on auto and have not messed about with temperature limit or anything like that.

I think for my card in particular amd said it was designed to run at 90C or something? 

OP, just leave everything on default. Should be fine if you have decent airflow within your case.

Thanks for every single reply so far, i now left the fan curve at default and didnt changed anything . I only did a very small overclock and thats it , max reached temp its 64°C on horizon zero dawn everything on ultra 1080P so im super happy with it , also fans seems to speed up when card reaches 64 then it continues like that till the card hits 60°C then back to normal speeds and then back and forth it continues to do that but noise is very very quiet im honestly impressed.

65c-ish is excellent, i personally keep my card below 70c, i lower the power limit but still apply OC

most of the time, i dont lose much perf, but temps and power draw drops a ton (yey quieter + more efficient rig)

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

1 hour ago, Moonzy said:

65c-ish is excellent, i personally keep my card below 70c, i lower the power limit but still apply OC

most of the time, i dont lose much perf, but temps and power draw drops a ton (yey quieter + more efficient rig)

Thats exactly what i was aiming for , im not much of an expert on cards as this is my second one (previous one was a very old (R9 270 2gb) and in that one i just overclocked by using the sliders and that was pretty much it was it didnt had voltage control . This new card has all those bells and whistles but for now ill keep things simple and just do a small overclock without touching any voltage stuff . On future when i read more about it and feel comfortable enough i may go for it , for now im happy as it is . Oh and also i personally think any temps bellow 70°C are ok too but as this is my first "real" gpu that i bought im being overly cautious as i want to really take care of this card lol . Thanks for your reply :)

yea AMD is a bit more finicky to undervolt i heard, nvidia is as simple as dragging the power limit down

but yea you're fine, as many have told you

even a 70c limit is quite extreme, 80c is what most people set their limits at.

though for GPU (especially high end ones with big Die), lower temp is absolutely better for reasons (chip degradation)

but dont worry too much about it, 70c is absolutely fine

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

2 hours ago, Moonzy said:

yea AMD is a bit more finicky to undervolt i heard, nvidia is as simple as dragging the power limit down

but yea you're fine, as many have told you

even a 70c limit is quite extreme, 80c is what most people set their limits at.

though for GPU (especially high end ones with big Die), lower temp is absolutely better for reasons (chip degradation)

but dont worry too much about it, 70c is absolutely fine

Thanks , much love man 

Yes, if you do it wrong and they turn on/off a lot because of that it's gonna wear them out faster. It's kinda hard to say just looking at that fan curve, but it's probably okay. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

spacer.pngDSC_4427.thumb.JPG.ae7b63125b64d16b8bad2f3e00d78134.JPG

Here's my fan curve for example.

IMG_20200913_005503.thumb.jpg.d371a6b1d21c9d86d2ac9d3d1838384f.jpg

That's ingame (MHW) at around 84% GPU usage , when hunting it goes to around 99% and 54-58C, I've set it precisely so because I heard the 1060 starts throttling at 60C (which I can confirm after many tests, my card never clocks down with this OC as long it stays under 59-60C)

Yes it's Nvidia so not directly comparable.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity