Never buy anything from ASUS and vertical mounts (trust me)!!!

empleat

Asus scammed me with this mobo: https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-Z390-I-GAMING

It has gigantic I/O shield blocking pci-e slot and you can't connect to it larger gpu than 1060! Even support linked me page, where is gpu support list, i didn't see it anywhere on that page and there is no reason for people to check this info. Because it is uncommon, no other mobo literally has that. If mobo has pci-e it will always fit in... Even geek in specialized computers never heard of it... So i was forced to get garbage vertical mount. Which is hard to plug in, because you have to install first gpu, before connecting a cable and than there is no space even in huge big tower... I had my pci-e gen 3 running at pci-e x2 3.0. Which is like wtf? I had in bios gen 3 and there is nothing you can do. I thought it is already broken, because today hardware is so garbage, it breaks every day. If i counted, i would be like on streak getting faulty hardware, or something... So i guess, because gpu doesn't cover pci-e slot when in vertical mount, dust gets there easily... SO i am stuck on this garbo and every couple weeks or so, i will have to take it apart and dust it off with compresed air, FML... Vertical mount is so obnoxious to take out and install in, even in big tower there is no space and i have dust filter and almost no dust in computer after months, yet 1 micro particle complete f2cked my pci-e. Geeez.... F2ck asus.

Never buy anything from ASUS and never use vertical mount!!!

So you didn't check that your GPU was compatible, and you're now blaming ASUS for your ignorance.

I appreciate your frustration, and I know this must be incredibly irritating for you, but it seems overly harsh to claim that ASUS is a scam company just because of one mobo that didn't fit your needs.

Admittedly ASUS aren't entirely blameless here - they should have made the compatibility information easier to find - but even so, why not just return the mobo, and buy a more suitable one?

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

3 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

So you didn't check that your GPU was compatible, and you're now blaming ASUS for your ignorance.

I appreciate your frustration, and I know this must be incredibly irritating for you, but it seems overly harsh to claim that ASUS is a scam company just because of one mobo that didn't fit your needs.

Admittedly ASUS aren't entirely blameless here - they should have made the compatibility information easier to find - but even so, why not just return the mobo, and buy a more suitable one?

You didn't read and talking nonsense lol. I literally checked their site and there was nothing, i can't find it even now... Even in specialized computer shop never heard of it. And standard is that pci-e is compatible with all gpu. Only link speed matters, every has same pci-e 3.0/4,0. So that isn't problem. There is literally no reason for you to be checking this infomation. Gpu should be compatible in every mobo, no other mobo has this... Why would you make expensive gaming mobo and than you would block your own pci-e slot. That is illogical. And retarded.... I bet no one ever heard of this...

12 minutes ago, empleat said:

yet 1 micro particle complete f2cked my pci-e. Geeez...

Yeah, I really hate when that happens...! 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 minute ago, empleat said:

You didn't read and talking nonsense lol. I literally checked their site and there was nothing, i can't find it even now... Even in specialized computer shop never heard of it. And standard is that pci-e is compatible with all gpu. Only link speed matters, every has same pci-e 3.0/4,0. So that isn't problem. There is literally no reason for you to be checking this infomation. Gpu should be compatible in every mobo, no other mobo has this... Why would you make expensive gaming mobo and than you would block your own pci-e slot. That is illogical. And retarded.... I bet no one ever heard of this...

Ok, now that you've put it this way instead of rambling like an even more drunk person, I understand what you're talking about. And to that, I would say yes, ASUS probably should put some kind of note in the marketing about how GPUs with a thick backplate may not fit.

And with that out of the way, return the fvcking motherboard and get one that supports a thick backplate.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

9 minutes ago, empleat said:

And standard is that pci-e is compatible with all gpu. Only link speed matters, every has same pci-e 3.0/4,0. So that isn't problem. 

Uhh... not necessarily. There have been cases in the past where GPUs with larger than strictly necessary backplates have cause compatibility problems especially for SLI/Crossfire configurations. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

44 minutes ago, empleat said:

. Why would you make expensive gaming mobo and than you would block your own pci-e slot. That is illogical. And retarded.... I bet no one ever heard of this...

Why didn't you just return the mobo then, which would be the normal response to this situation, rather than finding a dissatisfactory solution to the problem and making an angry forum post about how dissatisfactory it is?

But no matter, as that's not even what I take issue with. I take issue with you describing ASUS as a scam company, when they make lots of high quality hardware which many people have had no problems with for years.

You're right that ASUS shouldn't have hidden their compatibility information btw. But just because you had one bad experience you shouldn't discount a whole brand.

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

-= Locked =-

I believe this conversation has run its course. 

OP I would suggest returning the mobo for a different one.

IMO Asus could possibly add that info BUT it is also on you to make sure your build fits, knowing an understanding the size of the parts you buy (this information is easy to find as its include in all products). After reading this my take is you didn't do your due diligence before buying and placing blame in the wrong direction.

My 2cents; I buy primarily ASUS mobos but [besides this] I always check my clearances before purchasing by checking the dimensions provided in the product description. To me if the GPU has a thicker than normal backplate, that would be an automatic flag to make sure which mobo I would chose that the manufacture has noted that the space is appropriate. If I cannot find the information readily available I would do extra Investigation such ask the manufacturer or peruse forums asking if anyone knows Before purchasing and wasting my time. If all else fails, go to a store and request to open a box and physically measure it. This is possible to do... well maybe not so easily at this moment with retarded covid restrictions but you get my meaning here.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER