1440p 144 Hz storage/PSU upgrade

RaphaNadal

Budget (including currency): $350-450 for GPU, $120 or less for PSU. Storage as required (prefer PCIE Gen 3 NVME SSD due to cost).

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Video Games - Control, Cities: Skylines, Assassin’s Creed: Valhalla. Roon Audio Server also, but not simultaneously with playing games right now. 

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy): 

Existing Parts:

CPU: R7 3700X

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S

GPU: Zotac GTX 1650 Super

SSD: Crucial MX500

Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200 MHz CL16 2x8GB

PSU: EVGA 500 W 80+ white

Case: Lian Li Lancool II MESH 

PC PartPicker List Link:

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/RaphaNadal/saved/#view=mHPgbv

GPU, PSU and SSD were purchased in April for use on my old i5-2400 which I retired as it wasn’t running the games I wanted. PSU availability’s improved since then. 

My priorities:

1) Exchange 3200 MHz RAM for CL16 3600 MHz RAM as it’s still in return window. Does this make sense?

2) Add more storage, perhaps NVME SSD. Should I go for a spinning 7200 RPM HDD? Or SATA/NVME SSD?

3) PSU is something I’d like to upgrade to a 650 W 80+ Bronze/Gold rated unit from the PSU Tier List (Antec HCG or Seasonic GX/GM). Is this wattage enough?

4) GPU for 1440p 144 Hz games on my 27GL850 monitor (already have the monitor, waiting for GPU). I’ll wait for GPU.

I can spread out purchases to keep within my budget. 

7899902C-16CA-4DE4-8B7D-F5041D4A51E7.jpeg

6DA01445-302F-4755-B5EE-53B5344F4C64.jpeg

PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
Video Card MSI Radeon RX 5600 XT 6 GB GAMING X Video Card $299.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply SeaSonic FOCUS 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply $119.99 @ Amazon
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total $419.98
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-09-10 18:58 EDT-0400  

These two should be ok, idk how much you wanna spend on the SSD though. If you want to save money you can go for a 7200RPM HDD. Other than the 1650 super being paired with a Ryzen 7, the build specs look decent.

42 minutes ago, vortextech77 said:
PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
Video Card MSI Radeon RX 5600 XT 6 GB GAMING X Video Card $299.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply SeaSonic FOCUS 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply $119.99 @ Amazon
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total $419.98
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-09-10 18:58 EDT-0400  

These two should be ok, idk how much you wanna spend on the SSD though. If you want to save money you can go for a 7200RPM HDD. Other than the 1650 super being paired with a Ryzen 7, the build specs look decent.

I hear you. I had some big-ass pay cuts when I bought my GPU in April, and bought the CPU after my pay cuts were reversed. I’m saving up for the new batch of AMD/Nvidia cards that are coming out later this year.

I'm open to a $140-ish NVME SSD with 1 TB capacity, I think the days of spinning drives are mostly over. 

7 minutes ago, RaphaNadal said:

I hear you. I had some big-ass pay cuts when I bought my GPU in April, and bought the CPU after my pay cuts were reversed. I’m saving up for the new batch of AMD/Nvidia cards that are coming out later this year.

I'm open to a $140-ish NVME SSD with 1 TB capacity, I think the days of spinning drives are mostly over. 

An Intel 665p or a Western Digital SN750 should do the job. You can even find a 1TB Sabrent Rocket Q for about $120.

3 hours ago, vortextech77 said:

An Intel 665p or a Western Digital SN750 should do the job. You can even find a 1TB Sabrent Rocket Q for about $120.

What about Western Digital SN550? Is that not good enough?

6 minutes ago, RaphaNadal said:

What about Western Digital SN550? Is that not good enough?

SN550 is also fine

12 hours ago, vortextech77 said:

SN550 is also fine

Do people use a spinning HDD in new builds these days? The Seagate Barracuda 2 TB is only $55, I’m tempted. 

15 hours ago, RaphaNadal said:

Do people use a spinning HDD in new builds these days? The Seagate Barracuda 2 TB is only $55, I’m tempted. 

HDDs are still very popular, the Seagate Barracuda being a very popular choice

15 hours ago, RaphaNadal said:

Do people use a spinning HDD in new builds these days? 

Yes!

Mine is “warm” storage of media which is backed up “cold” for the legacy stuff and important stuff is also in cloud storage.

I keep the warm one up to date and replicate it out from there. It also means I have quick access to all my media.

It is also the location of user profile “bulk” so it doesn’t clutter my boot drive.

Essentially nothing writes to it unless I choose to so it sits there pretty passive until I boot up Plex and stream a film to my TV or tablet.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz