Air Cooling in hot places!

Greenpty

Hi i see a lot of test and benchm. on air cooling but i notice that almost every of thos test are in placer our country that the room temperature are bellow 24, but what about countrys where the temperatures are above 29, 30, those air cooling will not work as an water cooling solution?

are any benchm. with this type of conditions?

Water cooler is like an air cooler, beefier aircoolers will be fine for temps like 29-30

16GB DDR4 Viper 4 Blackout 3200MHZ Ryzen 5 1500X AB350M-gaming3 GTX 1060 6gb Asus dual OC, 1TB hdd seagate 7200rpm, 120gb samsung m.2 ssd

Just now, Greenpty said:

Hi i see a lot of test and benchm. on air cooling but i notice that almost every of thos test are in placer our country that the room temperature are bellow 24, but what about countrys where the temperatures are above 29, 30, those air cooling will not work as an water cooling solution?

are any benchm. with this type of conditions?

The great thing about air or watercooling testing is that the test doesn't need to fit your ambient (room) temperatures.

It's all about the delta between the ambient temp and CPU temp.

So let's say a cooler can make the CPU run at up to 70° C, while the room is 24° C. That means the difference (delta) is 46° C.

Now you can apply this 46° C delta over ambient to any ambient temp.

Is your room normally 30° C? The cooler will make it so the CPU will run at 76° C.

40° C ambient? CPU at 86° C.

Within reason this can be applied, as of course at a certain point - usually past 85-95° C of CPU temp - the CPU will throttle to make sure it won't overheat and thus the performance will be limited.

A watercooler is usually just better at transferring heat from the CPU in itself, compared to an aircooler. A watercooler also has a larger area to heat. So where-as an aircooler will heat up all area within seconds or minutes, to heat up all the liquid in a watercooler can take many more minutes or even close to an hour+.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Also

The biggest benefit to water cooling is you can choose where you get rid of the heat. Now days you normally see rads mounted to the case either dissipating heat into the case (front mount) then into the room the system sit in or top mount which dissipates directly into the same room. However back in the day it's wasn't uncommon to use a rad tower separate from the system. Which you can place anywhere like outside the room the system is sitting in.

Actually, as long as you can move air in and out of the case with no issue, you should be fine.

I have ThermalTake Versa H26 case, which has 2 front 120mm intake, 3 top 120mm intake and 1 rear 120mm exhaust. I use ThermalTake PurePlus 12 for all my fans (which have good good airflow at around 56.45CFM at 1500rpm. I have to change the CPU cooler to Cooler Master Hyper 212 and also change both fans to Cooler Master MF120 aRGB using push pull configuration with exhaust facing the rear.

So far my AMD Ryzen 5 3600 CPU only reach close to 75c at full load running 3.9GHz all cores while the room temperature is at 36c, which is quite good for me. I still can push the CPU to run at higher frequency as there's plenty of room for me to do so.

Although many people suggested to use the top fans as exhaust, but I find it really hurt my performance especially playing games, where the internal case temperature is too high and causes thermal throttling.

installing 6 fans to the case may seems excessive to many, but in a warmer country, it actually helps the system to sustain longer at full workload before thermal throttling.

So, in conclusion, there's definitely no right and wrong answer on cooling. As long as it cools your system properly, you are good to go. You can experiment with your system and see how the system perform with the cooling setup you got. Changing CPU cooler to a beefier tower cooler can increase CPU sustain load longer. You can also turn rear fan as intake and top as exhaust, but you have to mind for dust as most cases doesn't have air filter at the rear. It can be time consuming to experiment each setup, but a proper cooling will ensure you to have a system that can perform heavy load longer before thermal throttle.

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

I use industrial fans for this reason.. Brute force. Summer gets very hot here, and I don't like to turn my overclock down.. so I don't :)

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN8501TB, SN850X2TB
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14, TL-D14X

1 hour ago, freeagent said:

I use industrial fans for this reason.. Brute force. Summer gets very hot here, and I don't like to turn my overclock down.. so I don't :)

ambient temperature is ambient temperature.

With a higher ambient room temperature, the Cpu cooler will run at a higher temp gradient.

Which in turn will increase the overall load temperatures of the processor.

With most modern processors having a 95c / 100c thermal limit, most people can actually get away with a higher ambient room temperature without a sacrifice to performance like throttling. 

Just wouldn't expect much overclocking to happen though. 

11 hours ago, narrdarr said:

ambient temperature is ambient temperature.

Yes.. and?

You won’t get under ambient of course, but moving a lot of air helps keep the delta down. I tried this when I lived in an apartment with broken ac during a hot July. My case of choice was the Meshify C filled with 120x38s. I am back to my old R4 because my Asus mobo died, and it’s replacement ended up being an eatx board which is about 26mm wider. I don’t have a dremel and even if I did this pc is close to 10 years old.. my old case would look like shit when I put a new system in it shortly.. bought a newer Santa Fe so no car payment.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN8501TB, SN850X2TB
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14, TL-D14X