How can I get the most out of my gigabit Internet?

TearGod

So basically, yesterday we finally decided to upgrade our internet from 150mbps down and /150mbps up to 980mbps down and / 880mbps up.

Surely I know I'm not going to get the full speed over wifi, but I definitely want to make the moust of of this speed. My mother hates running wires

throughout the house. So running an ethernet cable from my bedroom to my brothers bedroom where the router is, sadly isn't an option. The closest

I would be able to get is a powerline adapter.

After getting everything set up with our new router and finishing up on the phone with FIOS. On wifi I am getting between 110-120mbps down on Fast.com

over wifi, and that is using the 5ghz connection. On the 2.4ghz connection I get 30mbps. My internet adapter is fairly old, it's a Netgear WNDA 4100. The

rep over the phone told me I could use a wifi extender and run an ethernet cable from it to my PC, but when I look that up I just see articles about how using

an ethernet cable with a wifi extender is just for set up? Or am I wrong?

My options:

Target has in stock the following:

Netgear AC1200 WiFi USB Adapter

Netgear AC1200 Wifi Range Extender

Netgear AC1750 WiFi Mesh Extender

Best Buy has in stock the following:

Linksys AC750 Boost Range Extender

Netgear AC750 Dual-Band WiFi Range Extender

Linksys AC1200 Dual Band WiFi Range Extender

Linksys Velop Plug-In AC1300 Dual Band WiFi Mesh Extender

Netgear AC1200 Dual Band WiFi Range Extender

Netgear Nighthawk AC 1900 Dual Band Gigabit Mesh Capable WiFi Range Extender

A WiFI extender is for carrying signal coverage farther, but it will reduce speeds in the process. If you're already get a good signal, this will only hurt.

Your adapter is WiFI 4 (N), so you're pretty much maxing out the speeds it's capable of. You didn't give any information about your home's router, but if that's also WiFi 4, buying a new adapter isn't going to help you. If it's WiFi 5 (ac) or WiFi 6 (ax) then you'll do better with a 5 or 6 adapter. To truly max out that 1Gbps link, though, you're going to need both to be WiFi 6.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

To "get the most" out of your wifi, you need to be using the latest technology gear. New stuff is the fastest and designed for higher throughput. But there is no magical tweak to take existing gear and make it go faster however. So if you can't wire it, it just gonna be replacing equipment. Dump the Ford and buy the Porsche.

9 hours ago, TearGod said:

?

I wouldn't touch an extender with a 30 foot pole. What I would do is run some Ethernet and hook up Wireless access points thru out the space. How many you will need depends on the square footage of the house, the number of floors and most importantly the building materials of the house. 

Even then WiFi has limitations on speed. If you want maybe slightly faster WiFi you can look at WiFi 6 gear, but its going to be expensive. Generally WiFi 5 is fast enough right now to handle most stuff. The other suggestion I have is wiring up anything that has an Ethernet port. This will take strain off of your WIFi and give you a better experience overall. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.