Best Gen 3 Threadripper Cooling options

Go to solution Solved by jaslion,
8 minutes ago, Iam_wrosetta_stone said:

I NEED HELP !!!!

I just upgraded my system to TR 3960x w/AsRock Trx40 Taichi mother, 64Gb Ram, same 1080ti Gpu and Thermaltake 1200 gold power supply, various SSDs.... 

The issue im having is Threadripper Cooling. Idk what to get that will cover the entire chip besides the Noctua NH-U14S Tr4-Sp3 which is huge but oh well.

What AIO or other options do i have for cooling a TR CPU that will cover the entire chip? Bc rn im literally in the middle of a build bc MicroCenter gave me the wrong cooler Noctua NH-D15.

Ty in advance for any assistance. It will truly be appreciated.

The NHD15 doesn't have a threadripper version. The NHU14 is your only other option for noctua coolers. It's smaller than a D15 so why are you saying it's huge?

I NEED HELP !!!!

I just upgraded my system to TR 3960x w/AsRock Trx40 Taichi mother, 64Gb Ram, same 1080ti Gpu and Thermaltake 1200 gold power supply, various SSDs.... 

The issue im having is Threadripper Cooling. Idk what to get that will cover the entire chip besides the Noctua NH-U14S Tr4-Sp3 which is huge but oh well.

What AIO or other options do i have for cooling a TR CPU that will cover the entire chip? Bc rn im literally in the middle of a build bc MicroCenter gave me the wrong cooler Noctua NH-D15.

8 minutes ago, Iam_wrosetta_stone said:

I NEED HELP !!!!

The NHD15 doesn't have a threadripper version. The NHU14 is your only other option for noctua coolers. It's smaller than a D15 so why are you saying it's huge?

6 minutes ago, jaslion said:

I was going to ask the same question. Maybe they're referring to the height, since the U14S is slightly taller than the D15, but it's definitely less bulky.

There's also be quiet's Dark Rock Pro TR4, which has roughly the same dimensions as the NH-D15.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

17 minutes ago, Iam_wrosetta_stone said:

MicroCenter gave me the wrong cooler Noctua NH-D15

How did a retailer "give" you the wrong cooler??? I believe there is also a Cooler Master Threadripper cooler designed specifically for TR4 sockets. 

And welcome to the forums!

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

https://www.kitguru.net/components/cooling/luke-hill/threadripper-3990x-cpu-cooling-comparison-how-to-tame-the-beast/11/

tl;dr Don't buy the Wraith Wripper TR4 or bequiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 TR4.

Noctua U14S is still your best bet unless you want to deal with an AIO for a workstation, which is highly not reccomended.

As a wise master once said, 

Put as much effort into your question as you would expect a stranger to add to their answer!

Desktop: AMD Ryzen 5 3800XT | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB 4000Mhz CL18 | MSI RX 5700 XT Gaming X | Two WD Black SN750 1TB NVMe SSD | Corsair AX850 Titanium | Fractal Design Define 7 White, Solid

Laptop: Apple Macbook Pro 16 | i9 9980H | 16 GB RAM |  1TB SSD | AppleCare+ | Space Grey

Peripherals: RAMA U-80 Lake | Logitech MX Master 3 | Kanto YU2 White + Beyerdynamic DT 177X GO 

Displays: LG GX 55"| Acer XB273K | Dell Ultrasharp U2720Q | LG 32UN650-W 

Thermalright makes one too.

http://thermalright.com/product/silver-arrow-tr4/

AMD R9 5900X | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, T30,TL-C12 Pro
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1496 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

• 1 month later...
On 9/3/2020 at 9:05 AM, jaslion said:

I was saying it was huge bc i had the D15 and that thing was enormous. Im new to PC builds so i didnt kno i needed the D14. I believe Microcenter gave me the D15 knowing that it wasnt the right fit just so i would complete the $3000 purchase. 

On 9/3/2020 at 7:12 AM, CommanderAlex said:

How did a retailer "give" you the wrong cooler??? I believe there is also a Cooler Master Threadripper cooler designed specifically for TR4 sockets. 

And welcome to the forums!

Easy, when it's ur first build and u have a list of items to get but they dont have exactly what u need.... i specifically requested an air cooler for my workstation but didnt know which one fit the Tr3960x so i left that to Microcenter and since they didnt have the Noctua NH U14S Tr4 Sp3 or the NH U12S... they gave me the NH D15 so i wouldnt cancel my order. That's how that happened. 

Isn't liquid cooling the best option for that beast of a cpu ?

''Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.''
''For every idiot proof system devised, a new, improved idiot will arise to overcome it.''

Today is life-the only life you are sure of. Make the most of today.

3 hours ago, Xyed said:

Isn't liquid cooling the best option for that beast of a cpu ?

On 9/3/2020 at 11:41 PM, Duckson McQuack said:

https://www.kitguru.net/components/cooling/luke-hill/threadripper-3990x-cpu-cooling-comparison-how-to-tame-the-beast/11/

tl;dr Don't buy the Wraith Wripper TR4 or bequiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 TR4.

Noctua U14S is still your best bet unless you want to deal with an AIO for a workstation, which is highly not reccomended.

However low the chance of AIO breaking, you don't want to deal with that when you're working.

Main Rig :

Ryzen 7 2700X | Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 8 GB | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 | 16 GB TeamGroup Elite 2400MHz | Samsung 750 EVO 240 GB | HGST 7200 RPM 1 TB | Seasonic M12II EVO | CoolerMaster Q300L | Dell U2518D | Dell P2217H | 

Laptop :

Thinkpad X230 | i5 3320M | 8 GB DDR3 | V-Gen 128 GB SSD |

I'm using a Noctua NH-U14s. Doesn't quite fit in my case so I have the side window off unfortunately, but it works okay otherwise. Added a second fan in push/pull. 3970x btw.

Seems like you're basically forced to do a custom loop if you really care about performance due to the lack of decent AIOs and the air coolers just barely adequate.