3D printed LGA115X to AM4 cooler adapter

So have a cheap motherboard form Asrock with a Intel i3 4130 CPU but i did not have a CPU cooler for intel LGA1150 / LGA1151

But i did have the AMD Wraith prism cooler that came in the box with my Ryzen 7 2700X, but that is for AM4

Sooo F*** thack i will just print an adapter for the motherboard to accept the AM4 cooler on the intel socket motherboard and i dont think that the stock AMD cooler should have any problems in keeping the I3 4130 cool.

Printed in PLA (And yes i know ABS or PETG would have been better) but kinda just gonna YOLO it at the moment at see if it works.

The print file i used is this one from thingiverse.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4361016

But the designer of the file did not set the correct dimensions for the object so have to scale it up to get it to the right size.

So print settings for the item in Repetier Host
0.2mm resolution

0.4mm nozzel

100% infill
Scale by 9.75 to get it to the correct size. 

The adapter is mounted with small screws through the adapter and secured with plastic washers and self locking nuts on the back of the board.

Anyway, not yet sure how its gonna hold up, dont have any ram to test it with, but if it works.... YAY!! and i not well POOP!!

IMG_20200824_153359.thumb.jpg.cce55a4eb5eca9bea8657222fe32babf.jpg

IMG_20200824_153619.thumb.jpg.c2f52824e2397ac058864507b84dcb34.jpg

IMG_20200824_153609.thumb.jpg.e32ce533c1477218036ef9ace64d5add.jpg

I would definitely move to ABS whenever possible. PLA becomes soft at high temps. The kind of temps a CPU can generate. Over time this will likely become loose but it should work for at least a little while.

This is the kind of thing I'd probably rig together using nuts, machine bolts, and some sheet aluminum. It'd hold up better/longer.

So "borrowed" some RAM form my sons computer and tested the board and CPU in windows 10

Looks like its working.

AIDA64 for a few min and if the cooler did not have OK contact with the CPU i would guess it would spike really fast in temps.

but max temp was around 52 Celsius, sooo looks like the stock AMD cooler dont have a problem with cooling the little Intel i3 CPU.

IMG_20200824_162443.thumb.jpg.d8be585f6012625c533e10b36c535b65.jpg

IMG_20200824_162451.thumb.jpg.affd7867716425e00d7e32a8a47ded15.jpg

2133663176_Screenshot(7).thumb.png.af86828f1f41c355f42402acc3fe0577.png

1668092655_Screenshot(8).thumb.png.c5d2de35cb5fdae518e5c744a5b570a7.png 

8 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

I would definitely move to ABS whenever possible. PLA becomes soft at high temps. The kind of temps a CPU can generate. Over time this will likely become loose but it should work for at least a little while.

This is the kind of thing I'd probably rig together using nuts, machine bolts, and some sheet aluminum. It'd hold up better/longer.

Yep for sure... but sometimes you just wanna see if it works and it looks like it does.

but gonna print with some ABS sometime next week just to be sure, but the screws i am pretty sure will hold as they where from a older cooler setup i once used and just sawed the hardware from, you know "just in case it could be used for something else"

5 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

Solo it have been running aida64 for about an hour now and avarge temp is about 46 Celsius.. pretty good.

The adapter I printed is nowhere near getting warm as I can feel the cold air from the cooler blowing down on  both sides of the adapter I printed

So think I am gonna YOLO it and see how it will hold up over time... 

Gonna re-use a old wooden ammo case I have used before as a PC case and put this thing in there just to see how it will do...

My expectation is it will hold up for a while and you won't notice a problem until you either start thermal throttling or happen to spot that you're idling in the 80℃'s but I'd be surprised if this didn't last at least 3~4 months.

• 2 years later...
On 8/24/2020 at 12:40 PM, Vonplaf said:

Solo it have been running aida64 for about an hour now and avarge temp is about 46 Celsius.. pretty good.

The adapter I printed is nowhere near getting warm as I can feel the cold air from the cooler blowing down on  both sides of the adapter I printed

So think I am gonna YOLO it and see how it will hold up over time... 

Gonna re-use a old wooden ammo case I have used before as a PC case and put this thing in there just to see how it will do...

Hello, I am curious to learn how long this held up. 

5600g, 1650 super, HP erica6, 24gb 2666.

Its still holding with no problem.
I just put the setup in a new case for the kid that have been using it ever sins I made the mount
I looked it all over and its on there good and temps are great.
So for the past 2 years there have not been a problem with it and its still holding on.

• 4 weeks later...

Can I buy a set of these from you?

I cannot find them anywhere but wish, but they won't be delivered until February...

• 2 weeks later...

Hola a todos soy Novato en  eso del 3d 

Tengo esa misma idea para una hp 600 g1 sff el disapador de stock quiero cambiarlo Wraith Prism LED Cooler ...me gustaria si es posible y esta a su alcance que me ayudaran hacer una base asi como la del post ....no tengo impresora 3d pero aqui en Rep Dom se puede imprimir ...gracias ...busca a Cristo que aun puede ser hallado.Que Dios los bendiga