i7 6700K vs i7 9700

Hi

I currently have an i7 6700K that I mostly run on a Hackintosh. I am thinking of upgrading to a i7 9700 as this looks like it's the fastest CPU I can run without changing my motherboard. I have looked at the various benchmarks and while the 9700 does better, those benchmarks don't mean much to me.. I do a lot of coding, mostly Java and iOS.. I also do some Ps work. Will I really notice a difference ?

Thanks

J

Sadly you will have to change the board to get a 9700. 

As to performance increase. Depends on the workload. 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

You'll need a modded BIOS to get Coffee Lake to run on 100/200 series chipsets.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

1 minute ago, TofuHaroto said:

Sadly you will have to change the board to get a 9700. 

As to performance increase. Depends on the workload. 

Ah thanks.. I thought since they were both 1151.. So I guess there's more to it then that ?

J

Just now, shampoo said:

Ah thanks.. I thought since they were both 1151

Yea they have the same socket but that's LGA 1151V2 so you will need a new board. 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

You can't really upgrade from a 6700K on that board. I mean, there is the 7700K, but that's hardly an upgrade at all. Kaby Lake = Pointless Lake.

The 9700 is a true eight-core, instead of a 4/8, so you'll see some improvement. Thing is, Intel got cheeky with LGA 1151 because they've been on it forever, and designed CPUs that require different chipsets so you can't reuse a board across more than two generations. 100/200 both work for Skylake and Pointless Lake, 300 works for 8th/9th-gen. Is the improvement enough to spend up for a 300-series board and the new CPU? That's up to you and depends on what you're doing.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

8 minutes ago, shampoo said:

Ok. Thanks everyone. I've learned something today. I appreciate it.

J

Looks like the 9900k is supported. If you do make the jump, I’d go to that simple because this very well may be the last hackintosh you are able to build.... might as well give it as much “future proof”-ing as possible.

With apple going to their own CPU’s, hackintosh is likely about to all but die; they certainly won’t be cresting first party driver support for future intel chipsets. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

6 minutes ago, LIGISTX said:

Looks like the 9900k is supported. If you do make the jump, I’d go to that simple because this very well may be the last hackintosh you are able to build.... might as well give it as much “future proof”-ing as possible.

With apple going to their own CPU’s, hackintosh is likely about to all but die; they certainly won’t be cresting first party driver support for future intel chipsets. 

Just to make sure, I am looking for the i7 9900k ?

Thanks!

J

1 hour ago, shampoo said:

Just to make sure, I am looking for the i7 9900k ?

Thanks!

J

i9 9900k. And if you go that route you will want a good mobo to go with it. 9900k’s can suck down a good bit of power under full load. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

On 8/21/2020 at 2:28 PM, LIGISTX said:

i9 9900k. And if you go that route you will want a good mobo to go with it. 9900k’s can suck down a good bit of power under full load. 

Thanks for the reply.

I've found the CPU and a mobo to go with it.. Anyone have any idea if this is worth the upgrade given that I currently have ? I have this costed out at $1000 Canadian dollars..

Thanks!

1 hour ago, shampoo said:

Thanks for the reply.

I've found the CPU and a mobo to go with it.. Anyone have any idea if this is worth the upgrade given that I currently have ? I have this costed out at $1000 Canadian dollars..

Thanks!

Well, it’s hard to say what’s “worth” it. I have a 6700k @4.6 ghz as a second PC, with my main one being my 9900k @5ghz. Is there a huge difference, honestly, not really? The only “intense” work I do is Lightroom and photoshop. I have a d850 so I’m editing 46 MP raws. It is faster in photoshop and Lightroom, for sure. It’s literally twice the cores, 6700k is a 4 core 8 thread, 9900k is 8 core 16 thread, and the 9900 has much faster clock speeds out of the box (6700k normally isn’t anywhere near 4.6ghz, 9900k stock does 4.7 all core, 5ghz single core boost), and the 9900k has a faster cache speed. It’s not fast enough where when I use it over my 6700k I am like “oh wow, this is entirely different”. But I am sure if I tried to photo edit on them side by side, yea I would notice; it’s literally twice the cores, AND they are clocked higher.

Now, hoe often you do “intense” workloads, that’s up to you to decide value. I still use my 6700k machine, and for normal everyday tasks, hell even my dual core MacBook Air feels just as fast as my 9900k beast of a rig. Would I want to photo edit or stack Astro photography images on my MacBook... no. But only in those actual demanding workloads will you be like “oh, yea, this is what I paid for”.

Also, what mobo did you pick? The 9900k can be a power sucking monster, make sure the mobo has a good VRM. I highly recommend the Gigabyte Aorus Elite as it’s a good price to performance board, but I’m not sure if it’ll be happy as a hackintosh. I’m sure whatever tonymac’s site suggests will be fine though. 

39 minutes ago, LIGISTX said:

Well, it’s hard to say what’s “worth” it. I have a 6700k @4.6 ghz as a second PC, with my main one being my 9900k @5ghz. Is there a huge difference, honestly, not really? The only “intense” work I do is Lightroom and photoshop. I have a d850 so I’m editing 46 MP raws. It is faster in photoshop and Lightroom, for sure. It’s literally twice the cores, 6700k is a 4 core 8 thread, 9900k is 8 core 16 thread, and the 9900 has much faster clock speeds out of the box (6700k normally isn’t anywhere near 4.6ghz, 9900k stock does 4.7 all core, 5ghz single core boost), and the 9900k has a faster cache speed. It’s not fast enough where when I use it over my 6700k I am like “oh wow, this is entirely different”. But I am sure if I tried to photo edit on them side by side, yea I would notice; it’s literally twice the cores, AND they are clocked higher.

Now, hoe often you do “intense” workloads, that’s up to you to decide value. I still use my 6700k machine, and for normal everyday tasks, hell even my dual core MacBook Air feels just as fast as my 9900k beast of a rig. Would I want to photo edit or stack Astro photography images on my MacBook... no. But only in those actual demanding workloads will you be like “oh, yea, this is what I paid for”.

Also, what mobo did you pick? The 9900k can be a power sucking monster, make sure the mobo has a good VRM. I highly recommend the Gigabyte Aorus Elite as it’s a good price to performance board, but I’m not sure if it’ll be happy as a hackintosh. I’m sure whatever tonymac’s site suggests will be fine though. 

Thanks for that. I appreciate it.

I have a D810 and I mostly use Lr and Ps as well. I find Lr to be a little sluggish at times. I might take a stab at this. I got this box in 2016 and have only spent money on a new GPU in those years. I have friends who got iMacs a year before I got my Hackintosh and their iMacs are not longer supported on Big Sur. Which led me to believe that going Hackintosh, even for only another 5 years is better for the environment and my pocketbook.. 

As for the mobo, I have a GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi in my Amazon basket.. 

Thanks again.

58 minutes ago, shampoo said:

Thanks for that. I appreciate it.

I have a D810 and I mostly use Lr and Ps as well. I find Lr to be a little sluggish at times. I might take a stab at this. I got this box in 2016 and have only spent money on a new GPU in those years. I have friends who got iMacs a year before I got my Hackintosh and their iMacs are not longer supported on Big Sur. Which led me to believe that going Hackintosh, even for only another 5 years is better for the environment and my pocketbook.. 

As for the mobo, I have a GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi in my Amazon basket.. 

Thanks again.

That’s a great mobo. Likely more than you need, but if it checks the boxes for you, certainly a great performer.

I used to shoot a 800/810 as well! Great body’s. I should have kept one as a dedicated Astro photog setup!

But yea, LR can be a bit sluggish for me too tbh. The 9900k did help though. The biggest thing is any multi photo edit, export, and import. Those are where it really makes a very noticeable difference.

Hope it works out for ya! You can also likely sell the 6700k parts for a couple hundred bucks to offset the cost. 

5 hours ago, LIGISTX said:

That’s a great mobo. Likely more than you need, but if it checks the boxes for you, certainly a great performer.

I used to shoot a 800/810 as well! Great body’s. I should have kept one as a dedicated Astro photog setup!

But yea, LR can be a bit sluggish for me too tbh. The 9900k did help though. The biggest thing is any multi photo edit, export, and import. Those are where it really makes a very noticeable difference.

Hope it works out for ya! You can also likely sell the 6700k parts for a couple hundred bucks to offset the cost. 

I am veering off topic here but the issue Have with the D810 and I suspect more so with the D850 is my glass isn't good enough!

I like shooting wide and I often use a 17-35 F2.8 and the corners on my D810 look horrible ! I bought that lens when the F5 was THE camera to own.. (to give you an idea of how old I am 😉 ) But I noticed that here locally, the 14-24mm is going more then half price new. I can't help but wonder if the DSLR market and photography in general is dying with how good smartphones are getting. I mean a perfectly working 14-24 F2.8 for more than half price ? That was unheard of 10 years ago. Glass rarely lost too much of its value.

I shot professionally with lots of strobes for several years.. Now that's a job that pays bollocks.. Then two of my Nikons a D4s and a D800 got totally water logged during an outdoor sports shoot.. Luckily my insurance covered it.. I took the money didn't replace the bodies and never went back to shooting for money.

I have a buddy that shoots astro photography. Man you gotta be patient to shoot that. Really impressive what you can do though. If you can send some link of your work, I'd love to see it.

Whoa, I really got off track there.. Thanks again for all your help !

4 minutes ago, shampoo said:

I am veering off topic here but the issue Have with the D810 and I suspect more so with the D850 is my glass isn't good enough!

I like shooting wide and I often use a 17-35 F2.8 and the corners on my D810 look horrible ! I bought that lens when the F5 was THE camera to own.. (to give you an idea of how old I am 😉 ) But I noticed that here locally, the 14-24mm is going more then half price new. I can't help but wonder if the DSLR market and photography in general is dying with how good smartphones are getting. I mean a perfectly working 14-24 F2.8 for more than half price ? That was unheard of 10 years ago. Glass rarely lost too much of its value.

I shot professionally with lots of strobes for several years.. Now that's a job that pays bollocks.. Then two of my Nikons a D4s and a D800 got totally water logged during an outdoor sports shoot.. Luckily my insurance covered it.. I took the money didn't replace the bodies and never went back to shooting for money.

I have a buddy that shoots astro photography. Man you gotta be patient to shoot that. Really impressive what you can do though. If you can send some link of your work, I'd love to see it.

Whoa, I really got off track there.. Thanks again for all your help !

Yea, I was a bit lucky. My dad...... used to shoot an F3 and has been into Nikon ever since. I........ started on his D1x when he got that, then D2x, D800, D810, now D850. I do have the holy trinity and I think my most used lenses are the 24-70 f2.8 and my 58mm 1.4. I don't shoot for money, never have and never really plan to; its just a fun hobby to me. I have only gotten actually serious over the past couple years, and now my claim to fame (imo) is my astro photog. I have a solid andromeda and orion shots, and I mean, I do have plenty of good standard photog shots as well. But I am FAR from being a pro. 

Go ahead and download this full size..................... its rather large lol. I made most of the background in photoshop as I shot this with my 200-500 F5.6 lens and andromeda is not full frame, but its about 70% filling the frame. So content aware fill and some clone stamping and I made it a much better composition. A little cheating, but, thats art for ya ;)

M31 - Andromeda Galaxy - 2h23m40s Crop

The Neowise comment from recently:

Neowise Comet 6 Minutes

Other good shots:

FX1_0937 FX1_1127 FX2_7561

10 hours ago, LIGISTX said:

Yea, I was a bit lucky. My dad...... used to shoot an F3 and has been into Nikon ever since. I........ started on his D1x when he got that, then D2x, D800, D810, now D850. I do have the holy trinity and I think my most used lenses are the 24-70 f2.8 and my 58mm 1.4. I don't shoot for money, never have and never really plan to; its just a fun hobby to me. I have only gotten actually serious over the past couple years, and now my claim to fame (imo) is my astro photog. I have a solid andromeda and orion shots, and I mean, I do have plenty of good standard photog shots as well. But I am FAR from being a pro. 

Go ahead and download this full size..................... its rather large lol. I made most of the background in photoshop as I shot this with my 200-500 F5.6 lens and andromeda is not full frame, but its about 70% filling the frame. So content aware fill and some clone stamping and I made it a much better composition. A little cheating, but, thats art for ya ;)

Those are some really nice shots. Well done ! The first two are really spectacular. Thanks again for your help. I think I am going to buy that CPU and Mobo.. It's been a LONG time since built a PC. So this should be interesting.

All the best to you

J

3 hours ago, shampoo said:

Those are some really nice shots. Well done ! The first two are really spectacular. Thanks again for your help. I think I am going to buy that CPU and Mobo.. It's been a LONG time since built a PC. So this should be interesting.

All the best to you

J

Good luck. Hackintosh can be.... let’s say exciting. Cuz ya never quite know how it’s going to go lol. And thanks! Photog is fun, def a great hobby.