Should minimum wage be increased?

Hikaru12

Right wing conservatives state that by raising the minimum wage it costs jobs because employers are less likely to hire if they can't afford to pay their workers a higher wage. They also claim it affects prices because now employers have to compensate for the higher wages.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, the left believes that the minimum wage should be raised because people can't live on a lower wage and they may not have access to education readily so they could improve their skills and get a higher paying job.

What do you guys believe is the right course of action and why? Stating what country you live in is also useful for debate purposes. :)

The US GOVERNMENT should just drill their own oil, then no more debt, THEN we can move onto a higher minimum wage.

Let's just drill our own oil instead of buying more from the middle east making them richer and use more in debt.

I can see why, but currently with the rich holding on to their money, unwilling to give it out, it shouldn't be as the conservatives are right on this one. If we raise it, we'll just lay off more people since these large corporations don't care, less people out of work means less money pumped into the economy, which will lead to another economic collapse. 

I would like to raise it, but since corporations are very uncooperative, no, it won't work.

The US GOVERNMENT should just drill their own oil, then no more debt, THEN we can move onto a higher minimum wage.

as if things were that easy.

also inb4 CAMMUNIST

Let's just drill our own oil instead of buying more from the middle east making them richer and use more in debt.

The US uses less than 3% of foreign oil. The high gas prices are due to greed not foreign exchange like they so claim.

Right wing conservatives state that by raising the minimum wage it costs jobs because employers are less likely to hire if they can't afford to pay their workers a higher wage. They also claim it affects prices because now enployers have to compensate for the higher wages.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, the left believes that the minimum wage should be raised because people can't live on a lower wage and they may not have access to education readily so they could improve their skills and get a higher paying job.

What do you guys believe is the right course of action and why? Stating what country you live in is also useful for debate purposes. :)

I think it should be raised. It will put a dent in some companies profits yes, but they have no reason to cut jobs. I think there should be a profit cap, say you can only make 50% more profit after factoring in expenses. Most companies find it unacceptable to have less than a 300% profit *cough*NIKE*cough*

Being a waiter or working at the fryer at Mcdonalds shouldn't be a career. They shouldn't make more than other jobs than require higher skills. 

bunch of communists ITT

such unamerican, sam would be disappoint

Error: 410

Being a waiter or working at the fryer at Mcdonalds shouldn't be a career. They shouldn't make more than other jobs than require higher skills. 

except people that don't have a proper education at least deserve to not be in poverty, and be able to support a child that can get them out of the poverty cycle and chooses a proper education, I'm just saying.

The US uses less than 3% of foreign oil. The high gas prices are due to greed not foreign exchange like they so claim.

In 2012 57% of the oil consumed in the US was imported and refined. I doubt it's down to 3%

Yes.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Working at McDonalds pays lower than minimum wage, they make the employees deposit all of their pay on cards and charge a fee for depositing, withdrawing, and using the card in general. It's also not to make it a career, but it's to be able to support yourself so you can actually make a life for yourself and go to college. As it stands you need at least 2 jobs to support yourself on minimum wage.

bunch of communists ITT

such unamerican, sam would be disappoint

@Samdb the american? wat

In 2012 57% of the oil consumed in the US was imported and refined. I doubt it's down to 3%

I saw it in an article somewhere, quite some time ago though I don't think I could find it again.

It's a balancing act,  yes it is good to have an increase in the minimum wage, but along with that comes the increase in the cost of local goods and services.  This leads to small business, (which  cannot compete with the large turnover businesses)  going broke, which creates a monopoly and increases the gap between the rich and the poor. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Even countries in EU have $3/hr min. wage and are... y'know, not 100% jobless. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sovereign_states_in_Europe_by_minimum_wage

What we need, in my opinion, is rather a big stimulus package like the one he (Obama) used in 2008 (which was...pretty effective and an update in law to stop companies from f***ing over their employees as a disposable object!

While I personally would always strive for a better career then so called "dead-end" jobs like McDonalds, SOMEONE has to work it. How do you propose jobs like waitressing and fastfood are staffed if no one makes a career out of it? You can't rely just on students, because they can only work certain hours (plus some areas have maximum allowable hours set for students).

Also, the places that require higher skills generally pay better - a LOT better - then minimum wage, so unless it's entry level, then why are you concerned about that?

Here's a really well thought out (if short) video on considering the two sides of raising minimum wage by John Green:

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Working at McDonalds pays lower than minimum wage, they make the employees deposit all of their pay on cards and charge a fee for depositing, withdrawing, and using the card in general. It's also not to make it a career, but it's to be able to support yourself so you can actually make a life for yourself and go to college. As it stands you need at least 2 jobs to support yourself on minimum wage.

I worked at Mc D's for 4 months, everyone there made more than minimum wage, and we never had to deposit all of our pay onto cards, we got checks to cash out at the bank. Also, my uncle is a manager at 2 mc donalds and owns one, also making over $89k a year.

Even countries in EU have $3/hr min. wage and are... y'know, not 100% jobless. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sovereign_states_in_Europe_by_minimum_wage

What we need, in my opinion, is rather a big stimulus package like the one he (Obama) used in 2008 (which was...pretty effective and an update in law to stop companies from f***ing over their employees as a disposable object!

tbh ever since the scientific method they were DESIGNED to be disposable ;)

wow, you must've had an easy life eh? You're one of those people who think that poor people are poor because they don't work hard enough eh? Well let's throw you into a Favela or a Harlem and see if you'll still say the same sh*t, b****... do you have any idea what it feels like to be in the bottom of the society, hungry? Of course you don't, you well-fed hypocrite..

I worked at Mc D's for 4 months, everyone there made more than minimum wage, and we never had to deposit all of our pay onto cards, we got checks to cash out at the bank. Also, my uncle is a manager at 2 mc donalds and owns one, also making over $89k a year.

I suppose it depends on the area than, in my state and our region that is how the McDonald's work.

Let's cut military wages like the Dems have done and pay more to illegals or Dropouts!I mean it did wonders for Detroit right? The poor have only gotten poorer since Obama. More handouts equals less people willing to work..

It's a balancing act,  yes it is good to have an increase in the minimum wage, but along with that comes the increase in the cost of local goods and services.  This leads to small business, (which  cannot compete with large the turnover businesses)  going broke, which creates a monopoly and increases the gap between the rich and the poor.

I would agree with this. Whether or not it needs to be raised would depend on how you approach the core issue and it that's really the best choice and the consequences associated are most pareto. 

I'm not for abolishing all of poverty like many seem to believe, there needs to be those less fortunate for the sake of a comparative existence, but as of now the wealth distribution and the ratio of rich, to middle class, and to poor is incredibly skewed.

@Samdb the american? wat

Yes, that sam.

Error: 410

Let's cut military wages like the Dems have done and pay more to illegals or Dropouts!

Don't they all have mouths to feed? A life to live? Doesn't seem fair to push them out, it's better to help everyone. 

tbh ever since the scientific method they were DESIGNED to be disposable ;)

I mean, they could put in more care for the employees... some firms are doing it right, while the others aren't. We are humans, after all.

I suppose it depends on the area than, in my state and our region that is how the McDonald's work.

Many McDonalds are franchise, which means that the Owner of the store has a lot of flexibility in how they run their particular business. There are certain guidelines that must be followed in order to keep the McDonalds name, but they still have a lot of control, within the reins of local employment law.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)