Should i go on with programming?

Jeroen1322

Hi guys!

In a year i have to choose an education route, and i (ofcourse) choose ICT ("Information and Communication Technology"). I'll first take a 3 year course of ICT employe on (Let's just call it "level") level 3, That is changing / maintaning hardware and software.. really simpel but if i take this to get to leven 4 where i can do Application development.. I love to code of the web (but HATE Javascript) and haven't tried anything else. 

I heard that if you want to program in like any C language you'll have to be good at math and i really suck at that! Also you have a 9 to 5 job in a boring office building.. That really isn't for me! 

I'm an intern at a company that makes a digital pen and i'm at the app programming department but it is really boring.. You only hear the keyboards and breathing. I've realised that that isn't for me.

I really want to work with tech because that is almost everything i do all day, every day. But i just think the challenge even learning the language is to much because of my poor math skills..

Programmer LTT forum members.. How is your job and is the hard learning worth it?

Thanks! :)

Sorry if i wan't really clear.

Edit: 'cuz words.. (fixed some grammer)

[CPU: AMD FX-6100 @3.3GHz ] [MoBo: Asrock 970 Extreme4] [GPU: Gigabyte 770 OC ] [RAM: 8GB] [sSD: 64gb for OS] [PSU: 550Watt Be Quiet!] [HDD: 1TB] [CPU cooler: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock Pro Sr1]  -Did i solve your question/problem? Please click 'Marked Solved'-

you could become an IT teacher, but my teacher told me he hates his job and he's in charge of all of the PC problems in our school xD

you could become an IT teacher, but my teacher told me he hates his job and he's in charge of all of the PC problems in our school xD

No.. never! i really hate kids! (altho i'm 14.. :P ) They are soooooooo dumb..  

[CPU: AMD FX-6100 @3.3GHz ] [MoBo: Asrock 970 Extreme4] [GPU: Gigabyte 770 OC ] [RAM: 8GB] [sSD: 64gb for OS] [PSU: 550Watt Be Quiet!] [HDD: 1TB] [CPU cooler: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock Pro Sr1]  -Did i solve your question/problem? Please click 'Marked Solved'-

You can start creating a game like blackjack as I am doing now in school. At this day it's a good thing to know programming, it should be thought in schools like a foreign language, there are so many things you can use it for.

http://prntscr.com/2xtj84 <- that's a little snippet of the game I am creating in c#

You can start creating a game like blackjack as I am doing now in school. At this day it's a good thing to know programming, it should be thought in schools like a foreign language, there are so many things you can use it for.

http://prntscr.com/2xtj84 <- that's a little snippet of the game I am creating in c#

I've made a text game but wasn't that exiting tho. I also really think it should be thought in schools! I was in class and we needed to make a website.. My freaking computer teacher was blown away that i knew how to use CSS.. So first we need to get some good teachers!

I didn't know you could also make games in C# i only though C++, silly me :P  

Not all programming involves math and there are plenty of areas where the only thing you need to know is being able to add 1 to a loop counter. Of course if you want to go into something like game making and you're making a physics engine...yes you'll need math.

I've made a text game but wasn't that exiting tho. I also really think it should be thought in schools! I was in class and we needed to make a website.. My freaking computer teacher was blown away that i knew how to use CSS.. So first we need to get some good teachers!

I didn't know you could also make games in C# i only though C++, silly me :P

I think C# is used in Unity 3D to create games, but I probably wont start with unity until I am better at creating games. 

I heard that if you want to program in like any C language you'll have to be good at math and i really suck at that! Also you have a 9 to 5 job in a boring office building.. That really isn't for me! 

I'm an intern at a company that makes a digital pen and i'm at the app programming department but it is really boring.. You only hear the keyboards and breathing. I've realised that that isn't for me.

I really want to work with tech because that is almost everything i do all day, every day. But i just think the challenge even learning the language is to much because of my poor math skills..

You need logic, not necessarely a deep comprehension of super advanced math concepts. With the Internet nowadays you will be able to find a lot of help and guidance when you're stuck.

As for the working environment, don't worry. There are just so many places you can work for as a developper (software development companies, video games studios, tech department of banks, insurance companies, you can work as a freelancer, in small, 5 employees companies and for 100+ employees tech department of a bigger company) that you can always change "department" if you're not happy.

For the working hours, it'll be close to 9 to 5, depending on where you work. Some jobs are more "stable" (9 to 5 everyday) while some other are more relaxed (ex: 9 to 1, 8 to 3, that sort of thing) but with a rush when the release date of their software is near. I know some people who work for Ubisoft, as they are close to the deadlines their workload increase by 200%. :P

What don't you like about Javascript? It's a much better representation of programming than HTML/CSS. But hey, if HTML/CSS is what you like, you can make a career out of it if you learn PHP/mySQL too. You'll need to have a certain knowledge of JS if you're working as a web designer or something like that, but it's a lot different than being a programmer.

didn't know you could also make games in C# i only though C++, silly me

You can use pretty much every language to make a game. C, C#, C++, Java, even Javascript, PHP and whatnot. The main difference is the available libraries, hence why C++ is very popular and Java is not. (for video games)

Don't be pushed away by the math aspect, it's not that bad. If you want to be a 3D artiste who makes the content and animations for video games however, you do need a solid math/physics knowledge since you're in charge of that, pretty much.

TL;DR It really depends on where you work. As a programmer/developper, you can work at a ton of different places, and the work environment/working hours depends a lot on where you work. (what you work on, how many people, etc) A good knowlegde of math is important, but you don't need to be an expert with super complex math concepts either. ;)

You're only 14, it's already quite impressive that you know HTML/CSS at that age. Give yourself a bit of time, by the time you're ready to work you will have gained sufficient math knowledege to be a good programmer.

as far as i know you could also do network manedgement level 4 thats what i will do and then you only HAVE to do 1 year of programming and after that you dont have to anymore 

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

wait there is blackjack code in C# or did u get that from somewhere?

I do IT support, I never went the whole programming route because it didn't seem right and I like the hardware side of things as well as network infrastructure.

Maths is negligible from the scripts and things I have written thinking logically is more important, as long as you can do the math it doesn't matter how good you are at it. Unless as said above you are going to make something heavily math based.

You will probably be in a 9-5 role as a programmer or as support or in almost every other role you can think of, although it seems like a grind once you are used to it it is ok (speaking as someone who once worked shift based work so nights ,weekends and all the bits in between. 9-5 is awesome!)

reading about your computer teacher mine basically had her mind blown when I finished the 4 hour exam she had set in around 30 we were supposed to be using a wysiwyg editor when I popped up notepad and hand coded that stuff and still got top marks she thought I was cheating haha.

Right onto the question... sorry bout that... If it doesnt feel right then try and find something technical to do think of th eother things you like and see if there is a part of IT that would closely fit that then well do it. Look at job sites to see a listing of different roles. if you have access to someone who is in a tech role or a programmer go talk to them ask them.

Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate Wants you! Join now!

UOLTT Basop | Misc Freelancer & Origin M50

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

-Groucho Marx

No.. never! i really hate kids! (altho i'm 14.. :P ) They are soooooooo dumb..  

hahaha totally understand xD you could go into webdesign

hahaha totally understand xD you could go into webdesign

that's what I am studing to. Don't know shit about it yet but I'm gonna start learning soon:D

I think C# is used in Unity 3D to create games, but I probably wont start with unity until I am better at creating games. 

Ironically, I just yesterday made a blackjack game in Unity using Js for a friend :D.

Programming is such a wide field, you can end up doing all kinds of projects (I've worked on a system for Egyptian restaurants, a fitness-oriented social network and a university in the last year) but it can be tiring and hard to get started in.

If you enjoy programming or at the least enjoy a challenge and the satisfaction of solving a programming problem, then go for it. A lot of the time I want to pull my hair out but finishing up a project feels good.

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |

that's what I am studing to. Don't know shit about it yet but I'm gonna start learning soon:D

I mean joining a company that works on company's websites and refreshes/ fixes and builds them or something like squarespace?

wait there is blackjack code in C# or did u get that from somewhere?

That's a string being used, that's just a little source code I have so far.