Which Linux distribution would you recommend?

Go to solution Solved by GoldDragon007,

I've just copy here some text from here that I've found a few days ago when I looked for the same question:

Your use case will define what you need to install. What you need to remember is:

- All distros can virtually run the exact same software nowadays, so choosing one doesn’t close any doors
- All desktop user focused distros can play games.

With that out of the way, we can boil down your choice to 2 factors:

- What desktop environment do you want to use
- Do you prefer to use something stable, or do you want the latest software available

Desktop environments:
GNOME is the one that ships by default on most distributions, including the biggest one, Ubuntu. GNOME is very simple, sleek and minimalistic. It’s really easy to handle once you’ve spent 5 minutes with it. It can be customized using extensions, but these aren’t always super stable. GNOME is the default for Ubuntu, Fedora, and a GNOME variant is also shipped by almost all distributions.

KDE or Plasma is the second big one. it offers customization options for almost everything. From the position of the panel, the widgets you want to add to it, the whole layout of the desktop, the behaviour of the windows, the position of the window controls, everything can be adjusted to your liking. KDE is the default on KDE Neon, its flagship distribution, and KDE variants are available for most major distros.

Now you get many smaller desktop environments.

Cinnamon is the pendant of KDE, but using GNOME-like technologies and applications. Its default layout is also very close to wht you’d get on Windows, but it can be changed to your liking easily.

XFCE is a lightweight desktop environment, which might not look as good by default as the big ones, but is still very easy to customize, and runs on lower end machines without a hitch.

Mac users might prefer Pantheon, which ships on elementary OS, and uses a layout reminiscent of OSX, with a similar dock and top bar, minus the global menu.

You can also use MATE, which is using the same technologies as GNOME, but with a more traditional desktop behavior, or Budgie, which is a derivative of GNOME as well, with its own notification center and more customization options.

If your PC is not that fast, I’d recommend XFCE, although KDE can run pretty well with little system resources as well.

The distribution

Ok, so now you’ve chosen the desktop environment you want to go with. Now you need to decide which distribution you’re going to get.

GNOME:
If you’ve chosen GNOME, and you want stability, your options are either Ubuntu LTS, which has a very stable base, but older software, or Fedora, if you’d rather avoid proprietary software. If you’re allergic to the Ubuntu Orange, Zorin OS is also a very good choice, it uses the same base as Ubuntu LTS, but has tweaks that make it look a lot more modern, in my opinion.

If you’ve chosen GNOME and want the latest software versions and updates, you can go with Manjaro GNOME edition. It’s what we call a rolling release: this means it doesn’t have “versions”, it’s just continually updated with the latest software as they come out.If you want a healthy middle ground between stability, and up to date programs, go for the latest Ubuntu release. ubuntu has long term support releases, OR LTS, but it also has a new version every 6 months.

Pop!OS would also be a nice contender

KDE
If you’ve chosen KDE, the stable choice is KDE Neon. It’s a distribution based on Ubuntu LTS, so it’s rock solid, and has the latest KDE Plasma updates as a rolling release.If you’d prefer a more bleeding edge system all around, go for Manjaro KDE, or the latest Kubuntu release

Cinnamon
If you’ve elected to use Cinnamon, your stable option is Linux Mint. It’s also based on Ubuntu LTS, and has the latest Cinnamon updates. It’s customizable, simple to use, and won’t die or crash on you.Once again, the less stable route will be Manjaro Cinnamon

XFCE
XFCE has less choices, but you can get a very stable one in the form of Xubuntu, the XFCE based Ubuntu variant. Zorin OS Lite also offers a very good looking XFCE.Manjaro XFCE will give you a great, bleeding edge experience.

Pantheon
Your only real choice for Pantheon is elementary OS. elementary OS developers actually develop Pantheon as well, and they ship it in a beautiful package.

The above well describes what you need to consider, however a little sidenode, he says "All desktop user focused distros can play games" that's true, but the amount of time and hate affinity you may need to put into may differ.

On top of that I would not say that linux is beginner friendly, so if you change, be prepared (I mean, I using for my work linux for 8 years by now, and I still hate it, but I have no other choice, because the developer tools aren't existing for windows... yet).

Hello. I hope this doesn't start a war, but I was wondering, which Linux distro do you think is the absolute best, and which one you'd recommend overall? (just doing this out of curiosity, since I've never really thought about it until now) 

9 minutes ago, blazesword2008 said:

do you think is the absolute best,

Ubuntu 14.04 LTS.

Because SystemD is shit.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Just now, Radium_Angel said:

Ubuntu 14.04 LTS.

Because SystemD is shit.

I thought Ubuntu was good too.

4 minutes ago, Andrew Systems said:

I'm about to make the switch to manjaro after a good amount of looking about was going to go for arch however I choose to go with manjaro as to just have less headaches 

I know this might sound stupid to you, but I've never heard of Manjaro. I know of Arch, since I know how great it is to make it your own, but never heard of Manjaro. (gui looks pretty nice, though)

I personally like Arch 

PC specs:

Ryzen 9 3900X overclocked to 4.3-4.4 GHz

Corsair H100i platinum

32 GB Trident Z RGB 3200 MHz 14-14-14-34

RTX 2060

MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge wifi

NZXT H510

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

2 TB WD hard drive

Corsair RM 750 Watt

ASUS ROG PG248Q 

Razer Ornata Chroma

Razer Firefly 

Razer Deathadder 2013

Logitech G935 Wireless

Just now, spartaman64 said:

i like arch linux but theres a steeper learning curve

Just now, eeeee1 said:

I personally like Arch 

Yeah Arch is great, but it definitely requires you to learn a lot about it to use it to its fullest.

would like to just name this.

please quote me or tag me @wall03 so i can see your response

motherboard buying guide      psu buying guide      pc building guide     privacy guide

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

RAM: 16GB DDR4-3200 CL-16

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.6GHz

SSD: 256GB SP

GPU: Radeon RX 570 8GB OC

Cinebench R23 score: 9097 (multi) 1236 (single)

don't some things look better when they are lowercase?

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

10 minutes ago, Caroline said:

Ubuntu if you're a regular user who wants to try something that's not windows but not too different from it 

Arch if you're a professional masochist and like to bang your head against the desk every time you want to install something but needs 10+ dependencies and 3 drivers that you can only find in Japanese after scrolling forums for hours. I 100% recommend it.

Oh alright.

8 minutes ago, handymanshandle said:

When I used it, openSUSE wasn't bad. It performed quite nicely and stuff was easy enough to install.

Yeah, but that's gone now. (at least the one I knew of)

2 minutes ago, Cvet76 said:

Wrong question. Every distro has its purpose and there is no "absolute best"

I'm dual booting win10 and Fedora right now. Fedora is a blast. Everything I try to set up as I'm learning is just a breeze. That being said, I also loaded boxes (VM) with Ubuntu and everything I tried setting up in there also worked (for once). So, depending on your needs, pick one and just start doing stuff. Whatever it is you'd hypothetically want to do.

A steep learning curve would be an understatement. More like every time something doesn't work you try to stay sane and not cut yourself...or the ones you love (I'm fine, I promise)

Alright. So there is no "best", but more on what Linux Distro is right for you. That makes sense.

Well depends on your use case but for me my go to’s is Mint (If I just want the computer to run simple and lightweight but still familiar) Ubuntu (just like it still a good desktop experience and good for my laptop) Kubuntu (just kubuntu but KDE so I can customize some more)

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

"Best" is very subjective to each person's use case. One distro could be best for one person but the worst for another. There is no universally accepted "best" distro especially with how modular GNU/Linux is and how you can compile an application from one distro to make it run on another.

If you're just getting your feet wet I can recommend any of Ubuntu/Mint/PopOS/XUbuntu(kind of a MacOS feel). These are all based on Debian and have a lot of support from the community if you have trouble.

I've just copy here some text from here that I've found a few days ago when I looked for the same question:

Your use case will define what you need to install. What you need to remember is:

- All distros can virtually run the exact same software nowadays, so choosing one doesn’t close any doors

- Do you prefer to use something stable, or do you want the latest software available

Desktop environments:
GNOME is the one that ships by default on most distributions, including the biggest one, Ubuntu. GNOME is very simple, sleek and minimalistic. It’s really easy to handle once you’ve spent 5 minutes with it. It can be customized using extensions, but these aren’t always super stable. GNOME is the default for Ubuntu, Fedora, and a GNOME variant is also shipped by almost all distributions.

KDE or Plasma is the second big one. it offers customization options for almost everything. From the position of the panel, the widgets you want to add to it, the whole layout of the desktop, the behaviour of the windows, the position of the window controls, everything can be adjusted to your liking. KDE is the default on KDE Neon, its flagship distribution, and KDE variants are available for most major distros.

Cinnamon is the pendant of KDE, but using GNOME-like technologies and applications. Its default layout is also very close to wht you’d get on Windows, but it can be changed to your liking easily.

XFCE is a lightweight desktop environment, which might not look as good by default as the big ones, but is still very easy to customize, and runs on lower end machines without a hitch.

Mac users might prefer Pantheon, which ships on elementary OS, and uses a layout reminiscent of OSX, with a similar dock and top bar, minus the global menu.

You can also use MATE, which is using the same technologies as GNOME, but with a more traditional desktop behavior, or Budgie, which is a derivative of GNOME as well, with its own notification center and more customization options.

If your PC is not that fast, I’d recommend XFCE, although KDE can run pretty well with little system resources as well.

The distribution

Ok, so now you’ve chosen the desktop environment you want to go with. Now you need to decide which distribution you’re going to get.

GNOME:
If you’ve chosen GNOME, and you want stability, your options are either Ubuntu LTS, which has a very stable base, but older software, or Fedora, if you’d rather avoid proprietary software. If you’re allergic to the Ubuntu Orange, Zorin OS is also a very good choice, it uses the same base as Ubuntu LTS, but has tweaks that make it look a lot more modern, in my opinion.

If you’ve chosen GNOME and want the latest software versions and updates, you can go with Manjaro GNOME edition. It’s what we call a rolling release: this means it doesn’t have “versions”, it’s just continually updated with the latest software as they come out.If you want a healthy middle ground between stability, and up to date programs, go for the latest Ubuntu release. ubuntu has long term support releases, OR LTS, but it also has a new version every 6 months.

KDE
If you’ve chosen KDE, the stable choice is KDE Neon. It’s a distribution based on Ubuntu LTS, so it’s rock solid, and has the latest KDE Plasma updates as a rolling release.If you’d prefer a more bleeding edge system all around, go for Manjaro KDE, or the latest Kubuntu release

Cinnamon
If you’ve elected to use Cinnamon, your stable option is Linux Mint. It’s also based on Ubuntu LTS, and has the latest Cinnamon updates. It’s customizable, simple to use, and won’t die or crash on you.Once again, the less stable route will be Manjaro Cinnamon

XFCE
XFCE has less choices, but you can get a very stable one in the form of Xubuntu, the XFCE based Ubuntu variant. Zorin OS Lite also offers a very good looking XFCE.Manjaro XFCE will give you a great, bleeding edge experience.

Pantheon
Your only real choice for Pantheon is elementary OS. elementary OS developers actually develop Pantheon as well, and they ship it in a beautiful package.

The above well describes what you need to consider, however a little sidenode, he says "All desktop user focused distros can play games" that's true, but the amount of time and hate affinity you may need to put into may differ.

On top of that I would not say that linux is beginner friendly, so if you change, be prepared (I mean, I using for my work linux for 8 years by now, and I still hate it, but I have no other choice, because the developer tools aren't existing for windows... yet).

2 hours ago, Caroline said:

like to bang your head against the desk every time you want to install something but needs 10+ dependencies and 3 drivers that you can only find in Japanese after scrolling forums for hours. I 100% recommend it.

Yea that sums up my experience with Linux. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

2 hours ago, GoldDragon007 said:

Desktop environments:

The distribution

GNOME:

KDE

Cinnamon

XFCE

Pantheon

Thanks dude! :)

2 hours ago, Kanna said:

Well depends on your use case but for me my go to’s is Mint (If I just want the computer to run simple and lightweight but still familiar) Ubuntu (just like it still a good desktop experience and good for my laptop) Kubuntu (just kubuntu but KDE so I can customize some more)

Alright, thanks for the helpful information.

5 minutes ago, blazesword2008 said:

Alright, thanks for the helpful information.

Keep in mind this is just what "I" think

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

Best for what?  Impossible to answer -- like asking. "What is the best song ever"  without specifying a genre or time period.

Mod should have stopped this troll!

14 minutes ago, sp331yi said:

Best for what?  Impossible to answer -- like asking. "What is the best song ever"  without specifying a genre or time period.

Mod should have stopped this troll!

Hope that's sarcasm, because it was really just pure curiosity. If I was violating something, I can delete the post if you want. (I might of been whoosed but I guess I kind of deserve that if I didn't get the joke)

If a potential User gives info on the machine specs of his or her PC to be used, User's intended usage of Linux, User's experience base with PCs in general, and User's desires for a distro (there are many hundreds of distributions to choose from, literally), THEN maybe a reasonable recommendation can be made.

To ask a question like the one posed it to, as you said, cause controversy unnecessarily -- hence, trolling. In this case, ignorance is protecting you from this. Just take note for the future.

We're good.