possible performance bottlenecks with gtx 1070

Sonkyhaner

Cpu: i5 7400

Ram: 16gb 3200Mhz DDR4

gpu: gtx 1070

Current gaming resolution: 1080p

Hi, was wondering if anyone with more information on general bottlenecks could tell me if i have much to gain from upgrading my cpu in 1080p and possibly 1440p.

given what i have read it seems like i may have more performance to eventually gain with a cpu upgrade. however i do not know if this performance boost is worth exchanging cpu's for.

i do allso have the possibility of running 2 1070's in sli on my board

Many new games would benefit from a CPU upgrade.

Don't bother with SLI. 

If you are happy with the performance you have now and don't have any issues then maybe don't worry about upgrading for now. 

You're unlikely to be bottlenecked by that CPU, unless you're playing games that are heavily multi-core. Turns would take forever in Civ 6, for example, though that's not really a bottleneck of GPU, per se.

Don't bother with SLI. It's dead. Very few games support it, and not well when they do.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

you will benefitt with a cpu upgrade, having a 4c/4t cpu is certainly holding you back in some games and workloads.

you could get a 6700/7700 and that will be a lot better. but if the workload doesn't require the extra threads, then it's fine.

there's a bottleneck in every system, but in the sense that the cpu will slow down the gpu, then in that case, the 7400 shouldn't do that.

10 hours ago, Sonkyhaner said:

of running 2 1070's in sli on my board

yea don't bother with it, doesn't scale well and brings little to no performance benefits.

Edited by TofuHaroto

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: