Gigabyte Motherboard Forcing Really High voltages Into 9600kf

I'm currently using a 9600kf with a Gigabyte Z390D- and I've noticed that the CPU has a high Vcore of around 1.42v using auto voltages @ 4.8ghz. When I try to manually enter a voltage- like 1.32, my PC fails to boot into Windows. Please help!

Revert any changes you might've made, set the all-core multiplier to 43, disable SVID, set your Vcore to 1.25V and LLC to Medium.

When you're booted into Windows, run HWiNFO64 to check temps, CPU-Z to check voltage and clock speeds, Cinebench R20 for checking performance and Prime95/Aida64/Linpack/etc for stability testing.

If it's not stable, bump up the voltage slowly by say 0.010-0.025V. If it is stable, bump up the multiplier by 1.

You'll want to stay under around 1.35V for 24/7 use (you can go higher on Coffee Lake but it depends on your cooling and I'd rather not have you fry your CPU unknowingly) for Vcore, not thermal throttle during Prime95 and stay under ~85C sustained in real-world intensive workloads.

Or just check out this video:

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

9 minutes ago, Pcmr_unofficial said:

I'm currently using a 9600kf with a Gigabyte Z390D- and I've noticed that the CPU has a high Vcore of around 1.42v using auto voltages @ 4.8ghz. When I try to manually enter a voltage- like 1.32, my PC fails to boot into Windows. Please help!

Looks to me like your motherboard is trying to overclock your cpu. But afaik, 1,42V is fine, as long as you are able to keep the temps under 70 degree.

Your CPU has a boost clock of 4,6 GHz, so, obviously, if you try to run 4,8GHz at 1,32V your motherboard is gonna tell you that this wont work and refuses to boot the system (at least thats my assumption)

Usually, a 9600k should work with 1,39V at 4,8 - 5.0 GHz.
Is the 1,42 peak voltage or stable voltage? 

Remember: If you want me to see your reply - Quote me!

If your question has been solved, please mark the thread as solved by choosing the answer that has helped you the most as the correct/solving one.

Please also use appropriate titles. Titles should be a short description of your situation to get people interested in looking at your thread. Titles such as "help" or "i have a problem" (etc.) will only lead to you getting less to zero help, cause people won't be able to tell what this thread is about and therefore don't bother looking into it.

1 minute ago, JayBe said:

Looks to me like your motherboard is trying to overclock your cpu. But afaik, 1,42V is fine, as long as you are able to keep the temps under 70 degree.

Your CPU has a boost clock of 4,6 GHz, so, obviously, if you try to run 4,8GHz at 1,32V your motherboard is gonna tell you that this wont work and refuses to boot the system (at least thats my assumption)

Usually, a 9600k should work with 1,39V at 4,8 - 5.0 GHz.
Is the 1,42 peak voltage or stable voltage? 

1.42 is the peak voltage- it jumps around a lot when idle- from around 1.32-1.4, and 1.42 is the highest I've seen for a prolonged amount of time- 1.46 is the highest I've EVER seen, but that was only for around 2 seconds.

2 minutes ago, JayBe said:

Under 70C in what scenario, idle? Anything up to 85C sustained at 100% load is totally safe for modern chips.

2 minutes ago, JayBe said:

Do note that the 4.6GHz boost is for single-core. The all-core boost of the 9600K is 4.3GHz.

Motherboards tend to shove unnecessary voltage on Auto, especially if you start randomly increasing the multiplier, in an attempt to make sure that your system isn't unstable.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

6 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

Revert any changes you might've made, set the all-core multiplier to 43, disable SVID, set your Vcore to 1.25V and LLC to Medium.

When you're booted into Windows, run HWiNFO64 to check temps, CPU-Z to check voltage and clock speeds, Cinebench R20 for checking performance and Prime95/Aida64/Linpack/etc for stability testing.

If it's not stable, bump up the voltage slowly by say 0.010-0.025V. If it is stable, bump up the multiplier by 1.

You'll want to stay under around 1.35V for 24/7 use (you can go higher on Coffee Lake but it depends on your cooling and I'd rather not have you fry your CPU unknowingly) for Vcore, not thermal throttle during Prime95 and stay under ~85C sustained in real-world intensive workloads.

Thanks dude. I'll have a look.

One thing- my mobo doesn't have an option to switch between all-core and single core mode- is that a problem?

2 minutes ago, Pcmr_unofficial said:

One thing- my mobo doesn't have an option to switch between all-core and single core mode- is that a problem?

When you go to change the multiplier, you should have an option along the lines of "Sync all cores". That's where you set the multiplier for one core and all the other cores will run at the same speed.

Check out Buildzoid's video I linked, he's also running a Gigabyte board in the video so the BIOS should be fairly similar if I had to guess.

10 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

I can't find an option called SVID, would it be called anything else on my mobo? 

P.s. My mobo doesn't have an auto-overclock button or anything, and SVID is, from what I know, something that a mobo controls.

1 minute ago, Pcmr_unofficial said:

I can't find an option called SVID, would it be called anything else on my mobo? 

P.s. My mobo doesn't have an auto-overclock button or anything, and SVID is, from what I know, something that a mobo controls.

https://youtu.be/FJ-1WSvN4aQ?t=1203

Maybe it's "Voltage Optimisation", like above at that timestamp?
I'm not too familiar with Gigabyte's BIOS unfortunately, so I can't say for sure from personal experience.

4 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

When you go to change the multiplier, you should have an option along the lines of "Sync all cores". That's where you set the multiplier for one core and all the other cores will run at the same speed.

Check out Buildzoid's video I linked, he's also running a Gigabyte board in the video so the BIOS should be fairly similar if I had to guess.

Hmm. I've looked, and there isn't a sync all cores option, but I guess the mobo runs ion that mode automatically- my evidence is this screenshot.

Picture1.png

4 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

https://youtu.be/FJ-1WSvN4aQ?t=1203

Maybe it's "Voltage Optimisation", like above at that timestamp?
I'm not too familiar with Gigabyte's BIOS unfortunately, so I can't say for sure from personal experience.

Yep thats it. 

5 minutes ago, WereCat said:

1.42V on idle is perfectly fine. 

What's the voltage under full load? 

1.42v is the average under full load (sorry should have said so)- my idle voltage jumps between 1.32 and 1.4.

1 minute ago, Pcmr_unofficial said:

1.42v is the average under full load (sorry should have said so)- my idle voltage jumps between 1.32 and 1.4.

16 minutes ago, Pcmr_unofficial said:

1.42 is the peak voltage- it jumps around a lot when idle- from around 1.32-1.4, and 1.42 is the highest I've seen for a prolonged amount of time- 1.46 is the highest I've EVER seen, but that was only for around 2 seconds.

Its totally fine then, so imo, there is no need to tweak anything in the bios. 

If your question has been solved, please mark the thread as solved by choosing the answer that has helped you the most as the correct/solving one.

Please also use appropriate titles. Titles should be a short description of your situation to get people interested in looking at your thread. Titles such as "help" or "i have a problem" (etc.) will only lead to you getting less to zero help, cause people won't be able to tell what this thread is about and therefore don't bother looking into it.

1 minute ago, JayBe said:

Its totally fine then, so imo, there is no need to tweak anything in the bios. 

Ok thanks. Was worried as some ppl said it might fry my CPU. However, I am gong to tweak things in the bios as I would like to get 5GHz stable.

27 minutes ago, Pcmr_unofficial said:

1.42V under an all-core stress test I'd imagine is quite hot. Have you checked thermals?

54 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

1.42V under an all-core stress test I'd imagine is quite hot. Have you checked thermals?

Thats why i was saying as long as it is around 70 degrees it should be fine.

6 minutes ago, JayBe said:

Thats why i was saying as long as it is around 70 degrees it should be fine.

I'm currently trying offset voltages, which are stable, but make my temps rlly high.

I'm actually finding that the 4th core is much hotter than the others. How can I fix this?