Configuring new Bluetooth card for desktop PC help

EthanWater

So I wanted to be able to connect my bluetooth headphones to my PC and went ahead and picked up a little m.2 key e bluetooth wifi card 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SH6GV5S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

and I installed it on my evga z370 classified K motherboard, downloaded and installed the drivers, and it shows up as active, but I can't get anything to connect. Would anyone be able to give me some advice? 

5 minutes ago, EthanWater said:

I can't get anything to connect

are you able to turn on bluetooth?

this option:

Spoiler

image.png.7a451140ea2710509d499b7cdc2e320f.png

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Just now, Moonzy said:

are you able to turn on bluetooth?

this option:

Hide contents

image.png.7a451140ea2710509d499b7cdc2e320f.png

Yes, I've got it on
image.png.0a1b1f166945826db78a214a93500cc9.png

1 minute ago, EthanWater said:

Yes, I've got it on

weird that it's not blue but -shrug-

click add new device, select bluetooth, it'll enter search mode

then make the device you're connecting it to into pairing mode

see if it appears

Just now, Moonzy said:

weird that it's not blue but -shrug-

click add new device, select bluetooth, it'll enter search mode

then make the device you're connecting it to into pairing mode

see if it appears

Tried that a few times, with different devices (headphones, iphone, speaker). And it's black because I changed the theme color of my PC. 

run windows update. make sure the additional software option is enabled. 

is that doesn't work, contact evga and see what they say. there could be a weird bios settings that is stopping you. 

12 minutes ago, EthanWater said:

So I wanted to be able to connect my bluetooth headphones to my PC and went ahead and picked up a little m.2 key e bluetooth wifi card 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SH6GV5S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

and I installed it on my evga z370 classified K motherboard, downloaded and installed the drivers, and it shows up as active, but I can't get anything to connect. Would anyone be able to give me some advice? 

Did you attach the external antennae to the sockets on the card itself?

Tried that a few times, with different devices (headphones, iphone, speaker). And it's black because I changed the theme color of my PC. 

if nothing appears, then try disconnected it, uninstall the driver, and plug it back in

also try using it without the drivers from the card, windows have built in driver and it might work

2 minutes ago, Saksham said:

run windows update. make sure the additional software option is enabled. 

is that doesn't work, contact evga and see what they say. there could be a weird bios settings that is stopping you. 

auto updates are on, I check, and I'm up to date. I'm not sure where the Additional software setting is though. 

1 minute ago, Falcon1986 said:

Did you attach the external antennae to the sockets on the card itself?

I did not, didn't come with any. 

1 minute ago, Moonzy said:

if nothing appears, then try disconnected it, uninstall the driver, and plug it back in

also try using it without the drivers from the card, windows have built in driver and it might work

tried the uninstall and reinstall already, and it wouldn't work without the drivers, I tried that when I first installed it. 

ah ha! that makes more sense. you just installed the adapter but you still need the antenna. the card you bought is intended for laptops which already have the antenna built in. you either need to buy those or get a dedicated desktop wifi card. 

oh, there's your problem

these cards needs a wire as antenna to work

connected here

image.png.343b412d6dad7e84e95bed71791304f7.png

these kind of internal antenna wire

image.png.25bda96412c480728c397ab37e80c628.png

Just now, Saksham said:

ah ha! that makes more sense. you just installed the adapter but you still need the antenna. the card you bought is intended for laptops which already have the antenna built in. you either need to buy those or get a dedicated desktop wifi card. 

I don't really need the wifi, just the bluetooth connection for audio stuff. It says that this card works on desktops, which could just be bullshit though. Do you have to have the antenna? I'm connecting it to something about 2 feet away

Just now, EthanWater said:

I don't really need the wifi, just the bluetooth connection for audio stuff. It says that this card works on desktops, which could just be bullshit though. Do you have to have the antenna? I'm connecting it to something about 2 feet away

yes. its required for all communications with the device. 

Just now, Saksham said:

yes. its required for all communications with the device. 

well shit, looks like I'm off to amazon for another purchase. 

59 minutes ago, EthanWater said:

evga z370 classified K motherboard,

Let me get this straight. Evga did the bother of putting on a M.2 E keyed slot. Which is for WiFi/Bluetooth BUTTTTT they didn't run the hookups for antennas? 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

18 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Let me get this straight. Evga did the bother of putting on a M.2 E keyed slot. Which is for WiFi/Bluetooth BUTTTTT they didn't run the hookups for antennas? 

do desktop motherboards ever come with the antennas built in? I thought only the wifi models of mobos had them included

3 hours ago, Saksham said:

do desktop motherboards ever come with the antennas built in? I thought only the wifi models of mobos had them included

Yeah, generally if the motherboard has WiFi capability they have antennas, its pretty stupid not to include. 

3 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Yeah, generally if the motherboard has WiFi capability they have antennas, its pretty stupid not to include. 

That's only if it comes with the WiFi card pre-installed, there are some models that instead have it as an add-on kit.

At least the socket is easy to get to, ones which come with it pre-installed under the IO shield require you to completely dismantle your PC just to replace the WiFi card.  So I can see some merit to both options.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

22 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

That's only if it comes with the WiFi card pre-installed, there are some models that instead have it as an add-on kit.

If your going to have to use a PCI slot for antennas, then you might as well just get a PCIe card. Its a waste of a E keyed M.2 slot of they dont just built the antennas on the board. 

On 8/11/2020 at 3:22 AM, Donut417 said:

If your going to have to use a PCI slot for antennas, then you might as well just get a PCIe card. Its a waste of a E keyed M.2 slot of they dont just built the antennas on the board. 

They should at least include the punch outs on the IO panel so you aren't wasting an expansion slot.  Although I do hate that as the flimsy metal causes the antenna ports to come loose over time, but its better than nothing.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7