Advice on CPU upgrade

Go to solution Solved by zeusthemoose,
2 hours ago, Silencix said:

this i chose to upgrade my current i7-7700 is it ok to buy this or should i change something? 

That will definitely work. However, you should consider waiting until later this year when ryzen 4000 drops though because that will be more worth your money.

Hi, I have a 7700 and want to upgrade, I use the pc to play. My budget is 20,000 Argentinean pesos for the cpu and the motherboard. I hope that with your experience you can help me to choose the best cpu and motherboard to upgrade my pc. The online store where I can buy is https://www.mercadolibre.com.ar/.

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

1 minute ago, Silencix said:

Hi, I have a 7700 and want to upgrade, I use the pc to play. My budget is 20,000 Argentinean pesos for the cpu and the motherboard. I hope that with your experience you can help me to choose the best cpu and motherboard to upgrade my pc. The online store where I can buy is https://www.mercadolibre.com.ar/.

What are you missing out on your PC currently (as in, what games don't play well or whatever)? What videocard do you have currently?

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

wait for zen 3 (Q3/Q4 of this year supposedly) and check what it has to offer. 

Edited by TofuHaroto

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

1 minute ago, minibois said:

What are you missing out on your PC currently (as in, what games don't play well or whatever)? What videocard do you have currently?

because the 7700 I think is obsolete, video card I have an rtx 2070.

2 minutes ago, Silencix said:

It's certainly not obsolete. 

What are you not getting from the 7700 that makes you want to upgrade?

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

cheap and easy cable management is my fetish.

3 minutes ago, Silencix said:

Are you happy with your performance? If so, doesn’t matter if there is newer stuff, don’t upgrade.

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

Graphics Card Cooling Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/5/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/7/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/12/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/19/20 Techlinked

1 minute ago, Skipple said:

What are you not getting from the 7700 that makes you want to upgrade?

5 minutes ago, zeusthemoose said:

Are you happy with your performance? If so, doesn’t matter if there is newer stuff, don’t upgrade.

because I think there must be some processor that has more efficiency and performance than mine, but I don't know if it's within my budget so I ask here in the forum.

Why does the Council in the title mean.

Does it have anything to do with you saying this to your CPU:

Lighting Light Candle Darkness

(The Council will decide your fate)

please quote me or tag me @wall03 so i can see your response

motherboard buying guide      psu buying guide      pc building guide     privacy guide

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

RAM: 16GB DDR4-3200 CL-16

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.6GHz

SSD: 256GB SP

GPU: Radeon RX 570 8GB OC

Cinebench R23 score: 9097 (multi) 1236 (single)

don't some things look better when they are lowercase?

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

1 minute ago, wall03 said:

Why does the Concil in the title mean.

I'm using an online translator, which doesn't literally translate what I write in Spanish. 😄

Just now, Silencix said:

there must be some processor that has more efficiency and performance than mine

There will always be better hardware then what you have.

But unless there is something about your current hardware that requires you to upgrade, anything you do will be superfluous.

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

cheap and easy cable management is my fetish.

2 minutes ago, Silencix said:

because I think there must be some processor that has more efficiency and performance than mine, but I don't know if it's within my budget so I ask here in the forum.

It doesn’t not look like there is a cpu in your budget that would give you a good increase in performance or efficiency.

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

I ask because there are so many advances that a Ryzen 3 3100 has the same amount of cores as my 7700. Maybe even better than my 7700. 

18 minutes ago, Silencix said:

I ask because there are so many advances that a Ryzen 3 3100 has the same amount of cores as my 7700. Maybe even better than my 7700. 

Same amount of cores, and threads, but a little less performance. You should keep the 7700 for now, new products should arrive soon, we will see how prices change.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

15 minutes ago, Silencix said:

Maybe even better than my 7700. 

Nope. 

Not a good upgrade. More of a side grad. 

Wait for zen 3. Because unless you absolutely need an upgrade now, the 7700 will do the job. 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

21 minutes ago, Silencix said:

Like others have said, not an upgrade. At best it will be equal but most of the time the 7700 will be very slightly ahead. But it doesn’t seem your budget could fit a 3100 and a motherboard anyways.

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Unknowingly I said my opinion and then I found this video. 

:)

• 2 weeks later...

On 8/9/2020 at 1:36 PM, zeusthemoose said:

Like others have said, not an upgrade. At best it will be equal but most of the time the 7700 will be very slightly ahead. But it doesn’t seem your budget could fit a 3100 and a motherboard anyways.

In your experience which is better, the 10400, 10600K, 10700, 10700k or the 3600 or 3700x? On the net there are thousands of comparisons that confuse me. In real performance, whether for gaming and editing, which one is better? 

within that price range I can buy a processor to upgrade. I've increased the budget a little bit. 

1 hour ago, Silencix said:

In your experience which is better, the 10400, 10600K, 10700, 10700k or the 3600 or 3700x? On the net there are thousands of comparisons that confuse me. In real performance, whether for gaming and editing, which one is better? 

within that price range I can buy a processor to upgrade. I've increased the budget a little bit. 

I don’t have any personal experience with these CPUs, but from the reviews and benchmarks I’ve seen. In gaming the 10400 and 3600 trade blows and which one is faster depends on the game, the 3700x is slightly faster than those, the 10600k is a bit faster, then the 10700 which once again is slightly faster, and lastly the 10700k. But with light overclocking, the 10600k can easily match or outperform the stock 10700k. I wouldn’t recommend buying a locked (non-k) Intel cpu.

In performance tasks which use more cores and threads, it goes 10400, 10600k, either 3600, 10700, or 10700k (idk 100% which performs better here but I’m guessing it’s the 3600), and lastly the 3700x.

Maybe this will help you a bit more as well: https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3589-best-cpus-of-2020-so-far-gaming-production-overclocking-budget

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

3 hours ago, zeusthemoose said:

I don’t have any personal experience with these CPUs, but from the reviews and benchmarks I’ve seen. In gaming the 10400 and 3600 trade blows and which one is faster depends on the game, the 3700x is slightly faster than those, the 10600k is a bit faster, then the 10700 which once again is slightly faster, and lastly the 10700k. But with light overclocking, the 10600k can easily match or outperform the stock 10700k. I wouldn’t recommend buying a locked (non-k) Intel cpu.

In performance tasks which use more cores and threads, it goes 10400, 10600k, either 3600, 10700, or 10700k (idk 100% which performs better here but I’m guessing it’s the 3600), and lastly the 3700x.

Maybe this will help you a bit more as well: https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3589-best-cpus-of-2020-so-far-gaming-production-overclocking-budget

this i chose to upgrade my current i7-7700 is it ok to buy this or should i change something? 

1058305881_Sinttulo.thumb.png.d46a7949fb02de8d04f4ad18fbee5f0f.png

2 hours ago, Silencix said:

That will definitely work. However, you should consider waiting until later this year when ryzen 4000 drops though because that will be more worth your money.

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

1 minute ago, zeusthemoose said:

Thank you very much. I already made the purchase. :)