Embedded tweets appear vertical instead of horizontal

Go to solution Solved by colonel_mortis,

Looks like tweet styling had been patched by IPS to make it play better with the embed system that we're using, but twitter made a change at some point which broke it. It was already fixed by IPS for the next version, and I've backported the fix so it should be working now.

I'm not sure if this is a bug or should be posted as a feature suggestion but why is it that when tweets are embedded, it appears vertical which I strongly believe to be a waste of screen real estate. Is this some kind of bug in IPS or did Twitter changed their APIs? I kinda prefer how it looks before.

Examples below :/

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

What are you expecting it to look like (and what does it look like to you)? I'm not quite sure I follow what you mean by horizontal and vertical in this context.

HTTP/2 203

11 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

What are you expecting it to look like (and what does it look like to you)? I'm not quite sure I follow what you mean by horizontal and vertical in this context.

Man how am I gonna put this to words (woes of a non-native English speaker). What I mean is few years ago, tweets would embed horizontally hence I don't have to scroll less.

5 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

The width on the embedded tweets is too narrow. Makes it difficult to read and stretches the post out longer than it needs to be. Lots of wasted, empty space on the right side of the post.

This is how it looks for me on desktop (Firefox)

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.288bb055590b4cc1ff3021741c1fe075.png

If the embedded tweet was wider (on desktop) it would make it easier to read and make better use of the space.

It's not as bad on mobile due to the narrow vertical orientation display.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 minute ago, captain_to_fire said:

Man how am I gonna put this to words (woes of a non-native English speaker). What I mean is few years ago, tweets would embed horizontally hence I don't have to scroll less.

Right, but what does embedding horizontally actually mean? Are you thinking of the tweets being physically next to each other, each individual tweet in an embedded conversation being placed next to each other (so in your second example the "Ultimately" tweet is on the same line as "Let's"), or just that the embed is wider to take up more horizontal space (so less vertical space)?

HTTP/2 203

1 minute ago, Spotty said:

The width on the embedded tweets is too narrow. Makes it difficult to read and stretches the post out longer than it needs to be. Lots of wasted, empty space on the right side of the post.

Reveal hidden contents

image.thumb.png.288bb055590b4cc1ff3021741c1fe075.png

If the embedded tweet was wider (on desktop) it would make it easier to read and make better use of the space.

It's not as bad on mobile due to the narrow vertical orientation display.

this is what I mean @colonel_mortis , sorry if I can't put it to words

Looks like tweet styling had been patched by IPS to make it play better with the embed system that we're using, but twitter made a change at some point which broke it. It was already fixed by IPS for the next version, and I've backported the fix so it should be working now.

HTTP/2 203

7 hours ago, Spotty said:

That is very odd/interesting... mine looks like:

Spoiler

535730474_Screenshot2020-08-09125921.png.6f45f21b32db21911051b4b08e56658f.png

To better show what a whole post looks like:

Spoiler

Post1.thumb.PNG.218e2d43f293627196e4311a0c2c1ee6.PNG

I am using Firefox (79.0), as well... In fact, this has been how it's looked for me for as long as I've been using the forum. Has never bothered me, though...

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7 6850K

GPU: nVidia GTX 1080Ti (ZoTaC AMP! Extreme)

Motherboard: Gigabyte X99-UltraGaming

RAM: 16GB (2x 8GB) 3000Mhz EVGA SuperSC DDR4

Case: RaidMax Delta I

PSU: ThermalTake DPS-G 750W 80+ Gold

Monitor: Samsung 32" UJ590 UHD

Keyboard: Corsair K70

Mouse: Corsair Scimitar

Audio: Logitech Z200 (desktop); Roland RH-300 (headphones)

2 minutes ago, The1Dickens said:

That is very odd/interesting... mine looks like:

To better show what a whole post looks like:

I am using Firefox (79.0), as well... In fact, this has been how it's looked for me for as long as I've been using the forum. Has never bothered me, though...

That's Firefox's built in tracking protection. For the tweets to render correctly you would need to turn that off by clicking the shield at the left of the URL bar.

HTTP/2 203

3 minutes ago, The1Dickens said:

Are you using any adblockers or other extensions that might interfere? 

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Just now, Spotty said:

Are you using any adblockers or other extensions that might interfere? 

Yes.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7 6850K

GPU: nVidia GTX 1080Ti (ZoTaC AMP! Extreme)

Motherboard: Gigabyte X99-UltraGaming

RAM: 16GB (2x 8GB) 3000Mhz EVGA SuperSC DDR4

Case: RaidMax Delta I

PSU: ThermalTake DPS-G 750W 80+ Gold

Monitor: Samsung 32" UJ590 UHD

Keyboard: Corsair K70

Mouse: Corsair Scimitar

Audio: Logitech Z200 (desktop); Roland RH-300 (headphones)