Build for Coders

Can we have a build Guide for Software Engineers/Developers only?

1. Economic
2. Premium

3. Optimestic 
4. Portable 

Here is one example for portable 

1. R9 3900x
2. ASRock B550M-ITX/AC

3. GSkill 3600Mhz 64gb(32x2)

4. Fractal Design Node 202

5. 450w Intrega PSU

6. 1tb NVMe samsung

7. GPU VisionTek Radeon VT 7750 or Quadro P series (minimum price, may be used) => single slot

8. Bifurcation PCIe having a Capture card for code streaming 
9. Good quality wifi/Bluetooth dongle or even stream card dongle

This will help individual developers choosing parts based on requirements. 

Thanks

I wouldn't call any particular build the build for developers. System requirements will vary wildly from user to user.

Your parts list terrifies me... Why would a developer benefit from a Quadro P or a 7750? Why a 450w PSU? Why would you need a capture card?

Make sure to quote me or use @PorkishPig to notify me that you replied!

Desktop

CPU - Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler - Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570-PLUS RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 32GB Case - Meshify C

GPU - RTX 3080 FE PSU - Straight Power 11 850W Platinum Storage - 980 PRO 1TB, 960 EVO 500GB, S31 1TB, MX500 500GB | OS - Windows 11 Pro

Homelab

CPU - Core i5-11400 | Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S | Motherboard - ASRock Z590M-ITX RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 32GB (2x16)  | Case - Node 304

PSU - EVGA B3 650W | Storage - 860 EVO 256GB, Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB, WD Red 4TB (x6 in RAIDZ1 w/ LSI 9207-8i) | OS - TrueNAS Scale (Debian)

Yeah, there's just too many variables with programming. For the most part, it's more core/threads, the better, but not all programming really needs high multi-core, and for things like game development, you'd actually be better with a more pedestrian CPU and throw more into a high end graphics card. On the flip side, a lot of programming wouldn't necessarily need anything more than the bare minimum GPU that can drive a couple of displays. You'd have to do something like best Unity build, best Python build, etc., but even that wouldn't cover all the bases.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

1 hour ago, shantonu said:

Thanks

Are you suggesting a video by LTT or asking an actual build guide here in forum?

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

2 hours ago, Chris Pratt said:

there's just too many variables with programming.

Well , I am not asking build one pc for all devs, I am asking build based on parameters where developers can choose parts.

The example that I gave is good for any java, dotnet , c++ , python developer with not much GPU power needed but the pc case has capacity to hold 2080ti also. That AMD gpu in build has 6 display(all 4k) output so, developers used multi monitor setup can use that.

1 hour ago, SansVarnic said:

Are you suggesting a video by LTT or asking an actual build guide here in forum?

yes, it will be helpful. 

Don't forget if you want to suggest it to LTT as a video idea to post it in this thread where the writers are more likely to see it.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

10 hours ago, shantonu said:

I don't see how this helps any developer any more than literally any other random build.

10 hours ago, shantonu said:

7. GPU VisionTek Radeon VT 7750 or Quadro P series (minimum price, may be used) => single slot

These parts are WAY too specialized to be useful for programmers in general. I can do streaming -- including of my programming -- perfectly well with a regular Geforce GTX or even the Intel built-in iGPU, for example, and literally nothing I do requires a Quadro.

No, fuck this build. This is not a helpful build and it's way overkill for a huge number of programmers, it's not enough for another huge number of programmers, it's too specialized to be even an okayish generalized build and you have not provided any actual justification for any of the component-choices. Programming in and of itself isn't a clearly-defined concept with specific requirements and trying to come up with a build for that is entirely god damn pointless.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

34 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

*snip*

Don't forget, his example is for a portable build ... Not sure he has the same definition we have of a portable build.

He said software engineer/developer, and as you pointed out, the needs vary GREATLY. The dev at my work need office grade computers ; they work with an internal application that sends request to a SQL DB... While one of my previous job was at a video game company, some of the software engineers needed performance hardware and high end consumer GPU because they were working on game engines, while others needed above average builds because, even if they also were working on games, they have specialties ; the ones working on triple A games don't have the same need as the guys working on DS games.

Then there's also the fact that I'm video games, "devs" can mean anything, from level designers to 3D modelers and animators..

Edited by wkdpaul

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

On 8/8/2020 at 9:48 PM, wkdpaul said:

Don't forget, his example is for a portable build ... Not sure he has the same definition we have of a portable build.

He said software engineer/developer, and as you pointed out, the needs vary GREATLY. The dev at my work need office grade computers ; they work with an internal application that sends request to a SQL DB... While one of my previous job was at a video game company, some of the software engineers needed performance hardware and high end consumer GPU because they were working on game engines, while others needed above average builds because, even if they also were working on games, they have specialties ; the ones working on triple A games don't have the same need as the guys working on DS games.

Then there's also the fact that I'm video games, "devs" can mean anything, from level designers to 3D modelers and animators..

yes, i know there are lot of type of developers out there, but I was suggesting more of a general developers who want to have powerful dev pc to work on. And , typically a powerful office PC is enough but,  with multi monitor setup (3+), high speed SSD etc can be added to configuration.  

On 8/8/2020 at 9:17 PM, WereCatf said:

I don't see how this helps any developer any more than literally any other random build.

These parts are WAY too specialized to be useful for programmers in general. I can do streaming -- including of my programming -- perfectly well with a regular Geforce GTX or even the Intel built-in iGPU, for example, and literally nothing I do requires a Quadro.

No, fuck this build. This is not a helpful build and it's way overkill for a huge number of programmers, it's not enough for another huge number of programmers, it's too specialized to be even an okayish generalized build and you have not provided any actual justification for any of the component-choices. Programming in and of itself isn't a clearly-defined concept with specific requirements and trying to come up with a build for that is entirely god damn pointless.

The reason I choose Bifurcation , to have code streaming options. And mini itx has single GPU. The GPU, i have choosen as example has 6 4k@60hz output, so for developers like me would be dream to have that setup. And putting it in a mini itx, i can bring to office or any place where I can present my code(I dont like low power laptop). 

the whole point for this to let LTT to consider average developer's PC. because , any kid can buid a gaming PC now a days with loads of cash but a gaming PC runs 24/7 is not a logical argument. And, why a average Dev(not a game dev) would spend money on high performance GPU. LTT guys has lots of experience on a budget & well performance build. So, their suggession and testing would help average non gamer people like me. 

Thanks 

On 8/8/2020 at 10:59 AM, PorkishPig said:

I wouldn't call any particular build the build for developers. System requirements will vary wildly from user to user.

Your parts list terrifies me... Why would a developer benefit from a Quadro P or a 7750? Why a 450w PSU? Why would you need a capture card?

capture card for code streaming

On 8/8/2020 at 5:57 PM, wkdpaul said:

You didn't answer.

Question was "A or B", and you replied "yes" ...

image.png.5c9eced8194bda507e5db24c2ca80d14.pngI have answered this.. where you are having problem with my asnwer? I think "SansVarnic" understood.

On 8/8/2020 at 8:57 PM, Spotty said:

Don't forget if you want to suggest it to LTT as a video idea to post it in this thread where the writers are more likely to see it.

Thanks, I will try to post there

42 minutes ago, shantonu said:

image.png.5c9eced8194bda507e5db24c2ca80d14.pngI have answered this.. where you are having problem with my asnwer? I think "SansVarnic" understood.

No, he didn't.

His question was

A : are you suggesting an LTT video

Or 

B : asking for a build guide here on the forum

Your reply was "yes, it will be helpful"

What will be helpful? An LTT video or a forum build guide?

49 minutes ago, shantonu said:

me

i

I

That's the whole point: the build you presented isn't some all-encompassing build suitable for most devs as it is, indead, what you want.

51 minutes ago, shantonu said:

but a gaming PC runs 24/7 is not a logical argument

There is nothing wrong with running a gaming-PC 24/7.

51 minutes ago, shantonu said:

average Dev

No such thing exists.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

55 minutes ago, shantonu said:

yes, i know there are lot of type of developers out there, but I was suggesting more of a general developers who want to have powerful dev pc to work on. And , typically a powerful office PC is enough but,  with multi monitor setup (3+), high speed SSD etc can be added to configuration.  

You posted a "portable" build as an example.

But what you listed was anything BUT portable. A portable "build", would be a laptop, or some sort of NUC style PC.

And I would argue that a "general developer" (that's a weird statement on it's own) doesn't need a powerful "dev PC" (because, again, the people that need 3900x and Quadro GPU are very VERY limited as far as software engineer and devs go).

... But hey, I've only worked 10 years in the video game industry, so what do I know, right?

1 minute ago, wkdpaul said:

And I would argue that a "general developer" (that's a weird statement on it's own) doesn't need a powerful "dev PC" (because, again, the people that need 3900x and Quadro GPU are very VERY limited as far as software engineer and devs go).

Indeed! I'd argue that web-devs -- front-end and back-end -- far outweigh those kinds of devs and web-devs are very unlikely to need such specs. A front-end dev would likely want a high-end, high-quality display, though. As for choosing the Quadro just for having a lot of displays: that's just stupid. If one wants a lot of displays, there are far cheaper options. The reason for choosing Quadro would be heavy GPU-computing and/or a large number of simultaneous NVENC-sessions and neither of those things apply to this imaginary "average developer."

7 hours ago, shantonu said:

capture card for code streaming

Yes, I understand, but the question still stands. There will not be a significant enough performance impact to warrant the need for a capture card, especially for a system with a 3900x.

Make sure to quote me or use @PorkishPig to notify me that you replied!

Desktop

CPU - Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler - Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570-PLUS RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 32GB Case - Meshify C

GPU - RTX 3080 FE PSU - Straight Power 11 850W Platinum Storage - 980 PRO 1TB, 960 EVO 500GB, S31 1TB, MX500 500GB | OS - Windows 11 Pro

Homelab

CPU - Core i5-11400 | Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S | Motherboard - ASRock Z590M-ITX RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 32GB (2x16)  | Case - Node 304

PSU - EVGA B3 650W | Storage - 860 EVO 256GB, Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB, WD Red 4TB (x6 in RAIDZ1 w/ LSI 9207-8i) | OS - TrueNAS Scale (Debian)

9 hours ago, shantonu said:

I did not understand your answer, I just haven't yet replied.

Apparently, you missed the OR in my question.

Capture.JPG.11fe132b44677ea5dfd2f92d25d3eb0c.JPG

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

On 8/8/2020 at 12:49 AM, shantonu said:

1. Economic
2. Premium

3. Optimestic 
4. Portable 

Here is one example for portable 

1. R9 3900x
2. ASRock B550M-ITX/AC

3. GSkill 3600Mhz 64gb(32x2)

4. Fractal Design Node 202

5. 450w Intrega PSU

6. 1tb NVMe samsung

Thanks

As others have noted, there is a wide range of requirements depending on the sort of development work.

But for me the greatest mitigator of utility is the rapid pace of change and pricing. What makes for a good medium priced build today will not be so in six months.

Far better for those seeking guidance to post a request outlining specific needs and budget.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

4 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

I did not understand your answer, I just haven't yet replied.

Apparently, you missed the OR in my question.

Capture.JPG.11fe132b44677ea5dfd2f92d25d3eb0c.JPG

Sorry for missing that.  I am suggesting a video

12 hours ago, WereCatf said:

Indeed! I'd argue that web-devs -- front-end and back-end -- far outweigh those kinds of devs and web-devs are very unlikely to need such specs. A front-end dev would likely want a high-end, high-quality display, though. As for choosing the Quadro just for having a lot of displays: that's just stupid. If one wants a lot of displays, there are far cheaper options. The reason for choosing Quadro would be heavy GPU-computing and/or a large number of simultaneous NVENC-sessions and neither of those things apply to this imaginary "average developer."

So, what options you would suggest for a 4+ display output options?

12 hours ago, wkdpaul said:

You posted a "portable" build as an example.

But what you listed was anything BUT portable. A portable "build", would be a laptop, or some sort of NUC style PC.

... But hey, I've only worked 10 years in the video game industry, so what do I know, right?

those are just example, a 3900x is best performance for money and quadro or 7750 for decent multi monitor. I asked due to different part choosing options available based on need and a guide would be helpful 

I argue for NUC build for decent performance in limited budget because, I have used intel nuc with i7 6700hq, brixpro i7 4770r, those are good portable mechine but not enough for a full stack development now a days. 

An avarage backend dev like me usually have to use 

1. 1/2 instance if IDE

2. 2/3 VMs running 
3. VPNs 
4. Profilers for monitoring 
5. Series of Chat Apps for different teams
6. Tons of chrome tabs for office platforms and problem soultions

my daily usages 16gb ram is not enough and i7 8750h strugles regular basis. I am monitoring heavy person, so I monitor trafic and my app which I work on. So, for me this is not enough.

so, this was just an help to know all available options based on 4 types for developers. I know, there are build for gamers and content creators can have lots of options. So, it was only suggestions for developer focus only, may be they can choose developer type and make a build for each type. Its LTT, they have the respurces to do that.