Hooray to PC gaming

cnhoff

Hi gents,

Just feeling in the mood for sharing my experience, please do not read further if you don't care for that. Also console gamers, keep on loving your systems,  don't want to start anything here.

I have been a PC gamer from the late 80's (anyone cares about Wing Commander or basically any LucasArts game?) until about 2010, when I sold my gaming PC for lack of time. Built basically every system I have owned from scratch and really loved it.

Couldn't stand not gaming at all after a while and bought a PS4 in 2016. Boy I was impressed at the visual quality but never befriended playing FPS with a controller. First game was Phantom Menace and I remember feeling like a complete idiot dying to every enemy I encountered. Went on to play a lot of BF1 which I honestly think is one of the best online shooters ever made and got the hang of it with some decent playtime put into it, finally scoring constantly among the first 20% on the scoreboard. Really liked the feel of the Martini, but never felt I was in control of aiming. Aiming for headshots kept being a dream for me.

2 weeks ago i surrendered to the urge of building a new rig and I am totally awe-struck. Playing some BF1 and I instantly was able to aim for headshots pulling of some really nice streaks and scoring first on the scoreboard for the last three games. Am blown away by the visual quality of playing RDR2 on 1440p ultra, especially the lighting is so much better than on Xbox One X and adds so much more mood and beauty.

Don't get me wrong, I have the utmost respect for all the console pro gamers beasting using a controller, but I immediately felt at home with mouse and keyboard after being away for 10 (!) years or so. PS5 and XBox series x will be killer, but I personally could not be happier to come home again to PC gaming.

Never mind this long, meaningless post, but I just had to share that :-)

Regards

Chris

Don’t want to rain on your parade, but I just hit a rather ugly looking cloud. 

You may wan to read the thing about foreshadow.

It appears specter/meltdown just came back even uglier than before.  Hardware mitigation doesn’t work.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

13 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Don’t want to rain on your parade, but I just hit a rather ugly looking cloud. 

You may wan to read the thing about foreshadow.

It appears specter/meltdown just came back even uglier than before.  Hardware mitigation doesn’t work.

Well... consoles would probably suffer from the same issues since they use pretty normal CPUs aswell... Don't make @cnhoff regret his decision.

8 minutes ago, Caroline said:

I can't be a gamer because of my sex as gamers are male

Don't think like that. Everyone can play whatever he/she wants. There are always weird people.

good news on console without cross paltform with PC is that your aim only needs to be better than the others with controlers.

Also everyone also plays at potato fps. I still remember playing at 24fps fullhd on a 100$ gpu potato bf3 and noticing I was getting rekt

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.

4 hours ago, Caroline said:

I can't be a gamer because of my sex as gamers are male and also play online games, which I don't.

Don't be this person. Don't look for a problem where there's none. You play games, i play games. We cool.

10 hours ago, Caroline said:

The difference though is that I'm not a gamer, I simply play games. I can't be a gamer because of my sex as gamers are male and also play online games, which I don't.

Sorry to hear that you feel that way and I am pretty sure you are FAR FAR more of a gamer than myself. Its disappointing and sad that there are so many people out there trying to ruin the experience for others and that we can't just all get along and game.

Online communities can be very toxic and not just to people of certain gender or ethnic persuasions. I try to do my part and speak up against garbage like that, but sometimes its like screaming into the wind. Its one of the reasons I like to stick to single player experiences more because the behaviour of many gaming communities its really not necessary.

OP, glad to hear you are enjoying your return to PC gaming. As a casual console and PC gamer, I do agree that for FPS controllers are difficult and doesnt feel as "right" as K&M.

Theres been so many game that I have enjoyed on PC over the year, but as you brought up the franchise, I really liked Wing Commander 3. 

I quit mmos some years ago.  I asked what happened after you hit max level and was told “that’s when the “real game” starts, so I hurried to max level.  The “ real game” turned out to be sucky and awful and filled with that, so I wrote off mmos.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

On 8/7/2020 at 9:21 PM, Caroline said:

The difference though is that I'm not a gamer, I simply play games. I can't be a gamer because of my sex as gamers are male and also play online games, which I don't.

On 8/8/2020 at 2:52 PM, Caroline said:

I literally just said I'm not a gamer.

My bad, I made the mistake thinking that the reason you are not a “gamer” was both because of “community” based issues and a misunderstanding of the term “gamer”, specifically how it applies to person and whether it’s required to have an  online component. A persons sex, regardless of what some a-holes say doesn’t stop them from being a “gamer” and people who play single player offline can also be gamers. I would describe my self as a casual gamer, mainly because I don’t play too regularly, and most of the time it’s single player, but I still enjoy games and “gaming”.

I think my misunderstanding can be clearly seen in the quote with text in bold, I apologize if by taking your words at face value, I had inadvertently taken those words out of context.