Troubleshooted PSU please help

I followed an tutorial online in troubleshooting a PSU, to check its performance with that paper clip method. But before all of that I was testing with my PC. First it was turning on for 3 seconds and then turns off, then after attempts it doesn't turn on anymore. So I tested the PSU alone this time with that paper clip method and got some results. I turned it on which was plugged into the wall outlet. Then as I noticed the same 3 seconds and then turn off showed itself again but I heard a faint tick sound once it hit the 3rd second mark and then off. I tested it five more times but this time I paid close attention to the noise without distraction with my ear close to listen and yes. The faint tick sound on the 3rd second mark and then turns off. Does that mean my PSU was defective? 

If you short pin 16 to ground on the 24 pin connector and the PSU cycles on and off repeatedly before flipping what is probably a relay causing it to stop cycling the PSU is most definitely defective.

What should happen when you short pin 16 to ground is it turns on and stays on.

21 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

If you short pin 16 to ground on the 24 pin connector and the PSU cycles on and off repeatedly before flipping what is probably a relay causing it to stop cycling the PSU is most definitely defective.

What should happen when you short pin 16 to ground is it turns on and stays on.

Update: So I went back to my prior PSU. Now it literally won't turn on anymore that I even tried a different socket.

1 hour ago, johndii1991 said:

Update: So I went back to my prior PSU. Now it literally won't turn on anymore that I even tried a different socket.

Have you verified that your old PSU is still good?

What power supplies are you using?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

20 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

Have you verified that your old PSU is still good?

Yes I have which was tested afterwards and working fine by doing the paperclip method. Could my motherboard be dead too?

15 hours ago, Spotty said:

What power supplies are you using?

Corsair RM850 Gold 80+

13 minutes ago, johndii1991 said:

Yes I have which was tested afterwards and working fine by doing the paperclip method. Could my motherboard be dead too?

Potentially. When you say it does nothing the power button shows absolutely no sign of life? Not even a blip? Did you try switching the PSU off & back on?

From here I would try disconnecting all cables from the PSU except A/C, EPS, 24-pin, & GPU. See if the behavior changes.

31 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Potentially. When you say it does nothing the power button shows absolutely no sign of life? Not even a blip? Did you try switching the PSU off & back on?

From here I would try disconnecting all cables from the PSU except A/C, EPS, 24-pin, & GPU. See if the behavior changes.

I turned on and off a couple times and not a blip. I have yet to try that method and press the power button again to check?

25 minutes ago, johndii1991 said:

I turned on and off a couple times and not a blip. I have yet to try that method and press the power button again to check?

Yep. See if it's an issue with fans or storage devices first them we can test core components.

6 hours ago, johndii1991 said:

Corsair RM850 Gold 80+

Are you using only the cables that came with the PSU or are you using additional cables?

3 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Are you using only the cables that came with the PSU or are you using additional cables?

I was using the cables that came with it.

On 8/8/2020 at 5:59 PM, Windows7ge said:

Sorry for the late reply Windows7ge,

Update: I tried disconnected everything except the listed cables you mentioned. And the behavior was the same. Not a blip.

2 minutes ago, johndii1991 said:

Sorry for the late reply Windows7ge,

Update: I tried disconnected everything except the listed cables you mentioned. And the behavior was the same. Not a blip.

Alright. Shut the PSU off. Take that time to disconnect the CPU 8-pin. Leave the 24-pin & GPU. See if it gives you any sign of life after flipping it back on and hitting the power button.

5 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Alright. Shut the PSU off. Take that time to disconnect the CPU 8-pin. Leave the 24-pin & GPU. See if it gives you any sign of life after flipping it back on and hitting the power button.

Disconnected cpu 8pin. Leave 24pin & Gpu Pin. And yet again no sign of life.

3 minutes ago, johndii1991 said:

Disconnected cpu 8pin. Leave 24pin & Gpu Pin. And yet again no sign of life.

Make sure you reset the PSU with each test. If it's a short circuit the PSU uses over-current protection.

Turn off the PSU, disconnect the GPU entirely so now the only thing it's running is the main 24-pin.

If it still shows no sign of life but you verified the PSU is good it's looking like a dead motherboard. You could try reconnecting everything but pull the CPU. If pulling the CPU allows the system to turn over you may have a dead processor.

4 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Make sure you reset the PSU with each test. If it's a short circuit the PSU uses over-current protection.

Turn off the PSU, disconnect the GPU entirely so now the only thing it's running is the main 24-pin.

If it still shows no sign of life but you verified the PSU is good it's looking like a dead motherboard. You could try reconnecting everything but pull the CPU. If pulling the CPU allows the system to turn over you may have a dead processor.

Yes I've been doing that method. Turn off PSU, unplug the gpu pin and leave the 24pin only. Then turn back on. Still not working. And i've tested my prior psu after my new defective one failed and it works fine when testing it solo with paperclip. 

Pulling the cpu out I will try next. When you mean turn over, do mean if it would show sign of life?

43 minutes ago, johndii1991 said:

Yes I've been doing that method. Turn off PSU, unplug the gpu pin and leave the 24pin only. Then turn back on. Still not working. And i've tested my prior psu after my new defective one failed and it works fine when testing it solo with paperclip. 

Pulling the cpu out I will try next. When you mean turn over, do mean if it would show sign of life?

If there's a short somewhere between the motherboard & CPU yes. It may show a sign of life if removing the CPU clears it.

Do you know if the motherboard normally has any standby LEDs?