Something is throttling my friend's internet speed.

So my friend came to me (thought that I'd happen to know about Networking even though I majored in Computer Science) asking about what's been happening with his home network.

Apparently something is throttling his internet speed. I chose the word throttle because his throughput would be fine during the first minutes of connecting. Then after usually 2-5 minutes, the throughput drops significantly.

This is also not a new problem to him as he has few workarounds to "reset" his PC's network interface just to get his full speed back. These are:

• Turning on and off Firewall
  • Changing the network profile.
  • Enable and disabling the network adapter

But these workaround still result in the same phenomenon, after just 2-5 minutes the throughput will drop back to low numbers. Can anyone explains what might be happening?

Some additional info:

• His ISP's official network bandwidth is 150 Mbps.
  • His Speedtest result: 
    unknown.png
  • His real-world scenario (Steam Download) before the phenomenon:
    unknown.png
  • His Steam Download speed after he changes his network profile: 
    unknown.png
  • His Steam Download speed (again) after some time:
    unknown.png

16 minutes ago, Faradise said:

the throughput drops significantly.

You sure it's not his ISP being jerks about the bandwidth he's using?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

2 hours ago, Faradise said:

Steam

Where do I start. Steam is not a good indication of issues. Steam servers are know to stroke out during heavy usage. Most people even with good internet will not down load games at full speed. 

Are any other services effected? 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

9 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

You sure it's not his ISP being jerks about the bandwidth he's using?

If they want to be jerk, they can just cap his speed all the time. This is also the first time I've heard of this with his ISP. Though I think he hasn't report this to his ISP, so that's worth a try.

7 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Where do I start. Steam is not a good indication of issues. Steam servers are know to stroke out during heavy usage. Most people even with good internet will not down load games at full speed. 

Are any other services effected? 

Considering it happens every time he downloads from Steam and that it's happening at roughly the same interval after he connected, I doubt it's Steam. We also live in a region which I doubt many people downloading games at the same time.

From what he said to me, I can safely assume it's also happening to his other services. Tho I'll ask for more evidence.

6 minutes ago, Faradise said:

Steam

I just know people who are on Fiber and steam can be slow. I mean I remember summer sales where the first few hours the servers would be unreachable. And they would be flaky the rest of the sale. Steam is never a good indicator of internet speed as a result. Have him try the speed test at DSLreports.com. If that reports full speed then the issue is defiantly steam OR the peering point his traffic is going thru to get to Steam. If not then it all comes down to the type of internet connection. 

44 minutes ago, Faradise said:

If they want to be jerk, they can just cap his speed all the time. This is also the first time I've heard of this with his ISP. Though I think he hasn't report this to his ISP, so that's worth a try.

Might then be a failing router.

Is he wired, or wireless?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

3 hours ago, Donut417 said:

I just know people who are on Fiber and steam can be slow. I mean I remember summer sales where the first few hours the servers would be unreachable. And they would be flaky the rest of the sale. Steam is never a good indicator of internet speed as a result. Have him try the speed test at DSLreports.com. If that reports full speed then the issue is defiantly steam OR the peering point his traffic is going thru to get to Steam. If not then it all comes down to the type of internet connection. 

I fail to see how changing the network profile would temporarily relieve the problem if it was Steam or the router.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

4 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

I fail to see how changing the network profile would temporarily relieve the problem if it was Steam or the router.

Good point. Must have missed that part. Then it has to be machine related. 

BUT I still stand behind my statement. Steam is not a good indicator of if your getting the proper internet speed.