Mixed dual PSU

roastedkitten

It is safe to use dual PSU from difference brand and 80+ rating ?

It is safe to use seasonic prime, 1300watt, 80+ platinum, with corsair rm850, 850watt, 80+ gold ?

Is 24 Pin Splitter for dual PSU dangerous ?

Is connect this 24 Pin Splitter to my motherboard is dangerous ?

And it is safe to use difference PSU for dual PSU ?, 850w with 1300w

images.jpeg

You cannot use this to power 1 main board from 2x PSU. You can power 2x main board from 1 PSU with this cable.

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

What are you trying to accomplish?

Looking at that image that looks like it takes the 24pin connector from one power supply and splits it in to two 24pin connectors to plug in to two motherboards. Not sure why you would want to do that.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

You cannot use 2x PSU on one system.

Can, i was used dual psu many times, but with same watt and 80+ ratings, also same brand

I was used 4x tesla k80 with dual rm 750, but not sure for use rm 850 with seasonic prime 1300 in another builds

It's recommended to use two of the same PSU, but not necessary. That said a Seasonic 1300 PSU powers a lot of computer, what are you plugging in that needs more?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

2 hours ago, BobVonBob said:

It's recommended to use two of the same PSU, but not necessary. That said a Seasonic 1300 PSU powers a lot of computer, what are you plugging in that needs more?

I need four GPUs

2 hours ago, roastedkitten said:

I need four GPUs

And my system is 2x xeon e5 with use 290w, and that motherboard use 150w

@BobVonBob

1 minute ago, roastedkitten said:

And my system is 2x xeon e5 with use 290w, and that motherboard use 150w

Okay yeah that's a lot of computer.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

Just now, BobVonBob said:

Okay yeah that's a lot of computer.

And it is safe to use HDD with two power sources ?, i use RAID controller for my HDD is connected to primary PSU but HDD power is connected to secondary PSU i was tested in 48 hours and safe, but i am not sure with long term use

17 minutes ago, roastedkitten said:

Can, i was used dual psu many times, but with same watt and 80+ ratings, also same brand

In that case, your main board has 2x 24pin PSU connectors and is thus protected internally. You CANNOT connect 2 PSUs directly, that is very dangerous! Theoretically one could add this protection, but the very fact you've asked this question means you do NOT have the knowledge to safely provide this safety requirement nor understand what you need or how to construct it.

(FYI: I've been in electronics since the late 1980's, so I'd like to think I know a thing or 2 about that stuff 🙄)

7 minutes ago, roastedkitten said:

And it is safe to use HDD with two power sources ?, i use RAID controller for my HDD is connected to primary PSU but HDD power is connected to secondary PSU i was tested in 48 hours and safe, but i am not sure with long term use

That's a maybe. I'd suspect it would work fine, but you might get some ground loop weirdness that probably isn't good for the drives. Better to connect to the same PSU if you're able.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Laptop:

7 minutes ago, Dutch_Master said:

In that case, your main board has 2x 24pin PSU connectors and is thus protected internally. You CANNOT connect 2 PSUs directly, that is very dangerous! Theoretically one could add this protection, but the very fact you've asked this question means you do NOT have the knowledge to safely provide this safety requirement nor understand what you need or how to construct it.

(FYI: I've been in electronics since the late 1980's, so I'd like to think I know a thing or 2 about that stuff 🙄)

Ok, but what's the purpose of these adapter existed ?

https://uk.thermaltake.com/dual-psu-24pin-adapter-cable.html

pic1.jpg

If you look carefully, and have a bit of knowledge on how these 24pin Molex connectors are wired, you'd see that the main board is only powered by 1 PSU. The other one is only switched on by the first, to power other devices, like HDDs or other peripherals.

*** Threads merged ***

Please don't post multiple times about same subject. Also moved to Cases and Power Supplies.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

1 hour ago, LogicalDrm said:

*** Threads merged ***

Please don't post multiple times about same subject. Also moved to Cases and Power Supplies.

Ok, but my question is substance is NOT same, one is asking for use two PSU in one motherboard and one another is asking for use two PSU system with difference PSU model and watt, and there is in difference PC build

6 minutes ago, roastedkitten said:

Ok, but my question is substance is NOT same, one is asking for use two PSU in one motherboard and one another is asking for use two PSU system with difference PSU model and watt, and there is in difference PC build

From opening posts that's not made clear. The difference of build part, rest are about same subject. But overall could be done in same thread as answers are related.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

4 hours ago, roastedkitten said:

It is safe to use dual PSU from difference brand and 80+ rating ?

The brand and 80+ rating wouldn't matter.

3 hours ago, roastedkitten said:

Ok, but what's the purpose of these adapter existed ?

https://uk.thermaltake.com/dual-psu-24pin-adapter-cable.html

That is carrying the power on signal from the motherboard over to the other PSU so that the second PSU starts when the first one starts.

You *could* power a system this way with one PSU powering say the CPU(s), motherboard, and maybe one GPU with the other PSU powering the 3 other graphics cards. Or whatever configuration you come up with to balance the load. Maybe the 1300W powering the CPUs, motherboard, and 2 graphics cards (~1000W) and the RM850 powering the other 2 cards (~600W).

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

As

4 hours ago, roastedkitten said:

Is 24 Pin Splitter for dual PSU dangerous ?

Is connect this 24 Pin Splitter to my motherboard is dangerous ?

And it is safe to use difference PSU for dual PSU ?, 850w with 1300w

images.jpeg

That splitter is to take a single PSU and used it to power two motherboard. Not the adapter you are looking for.

Anyways, the adapter you had shown with the thermaltake PSUs is what you want. Basically, the extra connector is ponytailing off of the PS-ON and ground pin, so when you press the power button, both PSU is turned on at the same time.

The main thing you need to worry about is ensuring that the secondary PSU is an independent / DC-DC regulated PSU, as typically that is used mostly as a +12V supplementary PSU and will be put in a severe crossload scenario and cheap group-regulated PSU cannot handle that. Both the Seasonic Prime and Corsair RM are both DC-DC regulated, so you don't have to worry about this.

3 hours ago, Spotty said:

The brand and 80+ rating wouldn't matter.

That is carrying the power on signal from the motherboard over to the other PSU so that the second PSU starts when the first one starts.

You *could* power a system this way with one PSU powering say the CPU(s), motherboard, and maybe one GPU with the other PSU powering the 3 other graphics cards. Or whatever configuration you come up with to balance the load. Maybe the 1300W powering the CPUs, motherboard, and 2 graphics cards (~1000W) and the RM850 powering the other 2 cards (~600W).

Ok, thanks for your advice

3 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

From opening posts that's not made clear. The difference of build part, rest are about same subject. But overall could be done in same thread as answers are related.

Ok

3 hours ago, quan289 said:

As

That splitter is to take a single PSU and used it to power two motherboard. Not the adapter you are looking for.

Anyways, the adapter you had shown with the thermaltake PSUs is what you want. Basically, the extra connector is ponytailing off of the PS-ON and ground pin, so when you press the power button, both PSU is turned on at the same time.

The main thing you need to worry about is ensuring that the secondary PSU is an independent / DC-DC regulated PSU, as typically that is used mostly as a +12V supplementary PSU and will be put in a severe crossload scenario and cheap group-regulated PSU cannot handle that. Both the Seasonic Prime and Corsair RM are both DC-DC regulated, so you don't have to worry about this.

Thanks for your advice, btw... how I can know if a PSU is DC-DC regulated ?

7 hours ago, roastedkitten said:

Thanks for your advice, btw... how I can know if a PSU is DC-DC regulated ?

Sometimes the manufacturer will advertised this. You could also look at professional PSU reviews that test and disassemble the unit, where they will even show you the DC-DC module.

One way that you are able to do it yourself, is by looking at the output chart on the PSU. Typically, if it used a DC-DC module for the generation of the minor rails, the 12V rated more or less the same as the rated wattage. In the case of the Seasonic Prime 1300w, without looking at the chart, I can guess it is rated for 108.33A or for 108A rounded down (1300 (w) / 12 (v) = 108.3333 (A)).