RAM at 2133mhz after upgrading to 16GB HP Pavilion

Hey guys, I upgraded from 8GB to 16GB of RAM and my initial stick was clocked at 2400Mhz and I bought another one at 2400Mhz.

But now both are clocked at 2133Mhz and in this HP Laptop all the BIOS settings are locked, so there is no way to change the RAM speed there.

Here is a picture of the new stick.

As I said, the first stick was clocked at 2400Mhz, now both at 2133mhz and when I bought the new stick it said it was a 2400mhz stick.

The CPU is an i5 8250U which can hold ram up to 2400mhz.

Spoiler

photo5861714998886249987.jpg.344336eee81c283727a2670683defc60.jpg

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4.4GHz 1.2v / GPU: MSI Radeon RX 5700 Mech OC GP (5700XT Bios) @ 2GHz / MB: Asus ROG Strix B450-F / RAM: Kingston HyperX 16GB DDR4 3200MHz CL16 / CASE: MSI MAG Vampiric 010X

2133 MHz is the base clock of every DDR4 RAM. So, if you get a RAM higher than that, you need to overclock, cause the BIOS will always apply its 2133 MHz standard first.
2400 MHz is only the frequency the RAM is able to work with.
Therefore, you have to enable XMP or oc it yourself to get the 2400 MHz.

You say that the BIOS is locked and that you cant change any settings. That would explain why it before worked on 2400 MHz and now isnt. I'd think that it's because its a locked system and HP doesnt want you to change anything in there and then try to get a refund or guarantee case on it.
Have you checked if you get back to the 2400 MHz when you take the new RAM out again?

Remember: If you want me to see your reply - Quote me!

If your question has been solved, please mark the thread as solved by choosing the answer that has helped you the most as the correct/solving one.

Please also use appropriate titles. Titles should be a short description of your situation to get people interested in looking at your thread. Titles such as "help" or "i have a problem" (etc.) will only lead to you getting less to zero help, cause people won't be able to tell what this thread is about and therefore don't bother looking into it.

9 minutes ago, JayBe said:

2133 MHz is the base clock of every DDR4 RAM. So, if you get a RAM higher than that, you need to overclock, cause the BIOS will always apply its 2133 MHz standard first.
2400 MHz is only the frequency the RAM is able to work with.
Therefore, you have to enable XMP or oc it yourself to get the 2400 MHz.

You say that the BIOS is locked and that you cant change any settings. That would explain why it before worked on 2400 MHz and now isnt. I'd think that it's because its a locked system and HP doesnt want you to change anything in there and then try to get a refund or guarantee case on it.
Have you checked if you get back to the 2400 MHz when you take the new RAM out again?

Yes, if I put only one of them it runs at 2400MHZ (it does not matter which of both sticks) but when i put them together they run at 2133mhz

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4.4GHz 1.2v / GPU: MSI Radeon RX 5700 Mech OC GP (5700XT Bios) @ 2GHz / MB: Asus ROG Strix B450-F / RAM: Kingston HyperX 16GB DDR4 3200MHz CL16 / CASE: MSI MAG Vampiric 010X

2 minutes ago, LordWk said:

Yes, if I put only one of them it runs at 2400MHZ (it does not matter which of both sticks) but when i put them together they run at 2133mhz

Looks to me like a manufacture locked bios tho. I dont know whether or not you can get around that, but maybe someoneelse does.
If there is no workaround, you have to choose between having 16 more GB of RAM or a slightly faster one (i dont think that those ~300 more MHz will give you a feelable change in speed, so i'd stick with the 16 more GB of RAM).

If your question has been solved, please mark the thread as solved by choosing the answer that has helped you the most as the correct/solving one.

Please also use appropriate titles. Titles should be a short description of your situation to get people interested in looking at your thread. Titles such as "help" or "i have a problem" (etc.) will only lead to you getting less to zero help, cause people won't be able to tell what this thread is about and therefore don't bother looking into it.

Called HP and they told me that in this model they only guarantee a single slot at 2400mhz, you can upgrade but its at your expenses without them having the ability to do nothing.

There is no way to change them to 2400mhz without the BIOS?

9 minutes ago, JayBe said:

Looks to me like a manufacture locked bios tho. I dont know whether or not you can get around that, but maybe someoneelse does.
If there is no workaround, you have to choose between having 16 more GB of RAM or a slightly faster one (i dont think that those ~300 more MHz will give you a feelable change in speed, so i'd stick with the 16 more GB of RAM).

19 minutes ago, LordWk said:

Called HP and they told me that in this model they only guarantee a single slot at 2400mhz, you can upgrade but its at your expenses without them having the ability to do nothing.

There is no way to change them to 2400mhz without the BIOS?

Thought so... and no, afaik, there is no other way.