is 850 W enough?

Dr-Nite
so i am building a new pc and is wondering if 850 w PSU is good enough for the pc or is it overkill or do i need even more? down below you can the the components.
AMD Ryzen 9 3900x 3.8ghz (CPU)
asus geforce 2080 super (GPU)
asus rog strix x570-f gaming (motherboard)
G.skill 16gb 3200mh (RAM)
alphacool eisbaer aurora 360 rgb (water cooler)

Yes, it's more than double what your components will consume.

What PSU do you plan on getting?

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

2 minutes ago, Dr-Nite said:
so i am building a new pc and is wondering if 850 w PSU is good enough for the pc or is it overkill or do i need even more? down below you can the the components.

850 is more than enough. Most people recommend a good 650 for high end builds.

Which particular unit? I'd trust an RMx or other good 550 a lot more than a cheap 850.

Just now, Dr-Nite said:

850w should be good. Consult this forum post. When making a selection.

Daily Driver (Lenovo Y700 Laptop)

Manjaro Linux  ||||  Intel Core i7-6700HQ  ||||  16GB DDR4-2666    ||||   GeForce GTX 960m  

250GB Samsung 970 Evo | 500GB Samung 840 Evo 

Windows Gaming PC

Windows 10 Pro  |||   Intel Core i7-10700k  |||   32GB DDR4-3600  |||   GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER  |||   MSI z490 A-Pro  |||   EVGA Supernova G2 650w 80+ Gold

120GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue 7200RPM

Bedroom HTPC and Emulation Box

Manjaro Linux  ||||   Intel Xeon E3-1231v3  ||||   8GB DDR3-1333  |||  Radeon RX 460   |||  Asus B85M-G

120GB SSD

Living Room HTPC - Optiplex 790 SFF

Manjaro Linux  |||  Intel Core i5-2400  |||  8GB DDR3-1333  |||  Radeon HD 5450

120GB SSD

2 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

Yes, it's more than double what your components will consume.

What PSU do you plan on getting?

i am planning the asus rog thor with the OLED-display

Are you sure that you want to pay that much extra just for a display? The ASUS Thor is pretty overpriced for what it is.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Just now, Mateyyy said:

Are you sure that you want to pay that much extra just for a display? The ASUS Thor is really overpriced for what it is.

i am wondering on just go back to the asus 850 with no Oled-displaty its 100$ cheaper but lets so my budget is pretty high but lets so what i end up with

It's kind of interesting how many people overbuild their PSU. I think one reason is because Techtuber get always the top PSUs from manufacturers and use them for their builds. That suggests that these kind of power is needed for a build. Some note that it's overpowered, but often they don't. I guess it's part of the manufacturers strategy, at least they benefit from it.

3 minutes ago, Dr-Nite said:

Well, I guess than it's not about the power anymore, just for the bling. Can't argue about that :)

1 minute ago, Korben said:

It's kind of interesting how many people overbuild their PSU. I think one reason is because Techtuber get always the top PSUs from manufacturers and use them for their builds. That suggests that these kind of power is needed for a build. Some note that it's overpowered, but often they don't. I guess it's part of the manufacturers strategy, at least they benefit from it.

Well, I guess than it's not about the power anymore, just for the bling. Can't argue about that :)

rgb is life but i will see it Oled-display with rgb DO look fancy im just stuck in a dilemma if it is really worth the price

Just now, Dr-Nite said:

rgb is life but i will see it Oled-display with rgb DO look fancy im just stuck in a dilemma if it is really worth the price

Well, that only you can decide. Can't help you with that. Power is, as all above agreed, more than enough.

Just now, Korben said:

Well, that only you can decide. Can't help you with that. Power is, as all above agreed, more than enough.

thank you for the information now i know i dont need to go higher my friend said i should take one of minimum of 1000w but they are quite expensive and doesnt feel i really needed that much

thank you for the information now i know i dont need to go higher my friend said i should take one of minimum of 1000w but they are quite expensive and doesnt feel i really needed that much

You could power a 3900X and 2080 Super with a good 450W PSU. Quality is a lot more important than wattage, there are 1000W PSUs out there that are straight up fire hazards. Obviously that's not the case with the ASUS Thor, but still, keep that in mind.

7 minutes ago, Dr-Nite said:

It's up to you in the end, but if you want the display for actual information about the PSU, then I'd strongly advise you look at a Corsair RMi or HXi instead. Those offer a lot more information through software, not just real-time power draw, and then you also don't have an extra potential failure point which that display is. I'm not sure where I read this so don't quote me on it but iirc the OLED screen on the Thor is not rated for too long of a longevity.

Check out PCPP they have a nice system builder that gives you an estimation of your needs.

image.thumb.png.6bed34383472cea9621a1fcb85bf3163.png

I'd go with a quality 550 - 650w unit for your build.

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

32 minutes ago, Dr-Nite said:

its a freaking overkill

i have an antec hcg gold 850 psu and u just realized how much of an overkill this psu it lol.

my 2080 pulls around 300w i think

my 10600k pulls around 160w and all other componants are maybe 50w or 60w all together.

but i actually wanted the hcg gold 750w psu.

they got out of stock the day before....BRUH

so i just wend for the 850w to be clear for the long long long future

"I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times." - Bruce Lee