Samsung Q80T vs Q85R?

Hey guys! 

So I'm looking to upgrade my TV. The placement of the TV is to be directly opposite of 3 windows, which is why I'm heavily going for a non reflective TV. 

I'm trying to figure out which is best, between the Samsungs 2020 model Q80T 49 inch qled and the 2019 Q85R 55 inch qled. 

I mostly use my TV for movies and casting stuff from my phone. I don't expect to game on it.

Hope you guys can help! I've tried to research about it myself but it seems like both are close in terms of display and so on? 

• 2 weeks later...

Most people will tell you how the 2020 80's are more equivalent to the 2019 Q70's. But really, this is more due to price than anything else. I am currently evaluating this option as well since I've found a 55"q85 for a ridiculous price. While the Q85r is a great great TV, there are updates that the Q80T has that show how much things can change in a year. The 85r has the single samsung one connect box which is pretty cool for keeping cords looking clean. However, the 80T will have far better sounds capabilities out of the box. I can't totally recall if the Q85r has Atmos capabilities either. QLED is certainly a great choice in a bright room, but Samsungs refusal to accept Dolby Vision is quite frustrating. It's the chosen format of Netflix, among others, and seems like things will swing that way. I am, personally, nervous about being annoyed in 2-3 years with the set when dolby is more and more common. Both Samsungs have a PQI of 3800
TCL's are a darkhorse/budget QLED option. But I'm skeptical of their Dolby claims since Atmos requires eARC and and it only has ARC. 

I am personally leaning towards the Q80T as of right now. But my gut is feeling whichever has the better price when i pull the proverbial trigger is what I will go with. (Currently where I am Samsung has a nice deal on 2020 tv's and soundbars that sounds like a great package with Qsymphony sound. (and 0% financing doesn't hurt)

ive been looking at the q80t also. only 2 issues i have with it is the one hdmi 2.1 ..its not full 2.1 bandwidth and samsung for some reason doesnt support dolby vision. (if you watch netflix a lot of their stuff do dolby vision)
so im looking at vizio's P Series Quantum X (2020 line) it supports full 2.1 and pretty much all formats, hell rtings.com recommends vizio Quantum X (2019) over samsung in most cases but havent really seen much for pricing (thanks covid)

On 8/16/2020 at 4:31 AM, Sdreaver said:

Most people will tell you how the 2020 80's are more equivalent to the 2019 Q70's. But really, this is more due to price than anything else. I am currently evaluating this option as well since I've found a 55"q85 for a ridiculous price. While the Q85r is a great great TV, there are updates that the Q80T has that show how much things can change in a year. The 85r has the single samsung one connect box which is pretty cool for keeping cords looking clean. However, the 80T will have far better sounds capabilities out of the box. I can't totally recall if the Q85r has Atmos capabilities either. QLED is certainly a great choice in a bright room, but Samsungs refusal to accept Dolby Vision is quite frustrating. It's the chosen format of Netflix, among others, and seems like things will swing that way. I am, personally, nervous about being annoyed in 2-3 years with the set when dolby is more and more common. Both Samsungs have a PQI of 3800
TCL's are a darkhorse/budget QLED option. But I'm skeptical of their Dolby claims since Atmos requires eARC and and it only has ARC. 

I am personally leaning towards the Q80T as of right now. But my gut is feeling whichever has the better price when i pull the proverbial trigger is what I will go with. (Currently where I am Samsung has a nice deal on 2020 tv's and soundbars that sounds like a great package with Qsymphony sound. (and 0% financing doesn't hurt)

I wouldn't worry all that much about Dolby Vision one way or the other really.

I have a Q90T and do stream Netflix Ultra HD 4K, it does display HDR and it looks very good.

As does the Ultra HD 4K Blu-Ray..

i9 9900K @ 5.0 GHz, NH D15, 32 GB DDR4 3200 GSKILL Trident Z RGB, AORUS Z390 MASTER, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27", Steel Series APEX PRO, Logitech Gaming Pro Mouse, CM Master Case 5, Corsair AXI 1600W Titanium. 

i7 8086K, AORUS Z370 Gaming 5, 16GB GSKILL RJV DDR4 3200, EVGA 2080TI FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB, (2)SAMSUNG 860 EVO 500 GB, Acer Predator XB1 XB271HU, Corsair HXI 850W.

i7 8700K, AORUS Z370 Ultra Gaming, 16GB DDR4 3000, EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, Corsair HX 850W.