How does an Ip ban work and can it block multiple devices?

TubbieTubs

Hi, my little brother wants to download Fortnite on our PS4 on his account. But my older brother claims that he got ip banned in the game on his account. Would that mean that my little brother cant play on his account or would he still be able to. Im trying to stop an argument. Thanks in advance for any help?

Depends of whether your IP provides a dynamic IP or static IP but either way I'd say your older brother is lying. The reason no games rely on IP banning is because for the vast majority of people their IP address will change every few days (aka a Dynamic IP) and its possible for a random to get a recycled IP that's previously been banned then they are banned for np reason.

Its much more likely he would have been account banned, if he was even banned at all.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

27 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Depends of whether your IP provides a dynamic IP or static IP but either way I'd say your older brother is lying. The reason no games rely on IP banning is because for the vast majority of people their IP address will change every few days (aka a Dynamic IP) and its possible for a random to get a recycled IP that's previously been banned then they are banned for np reason.

Its much more likely he would have been account banned, if he was even banned at all.

Thanks man that helps a lot