How do I encrypt my laptop?

Aaralli

I currently work in a doctor's office, and I use my laptop, a Lenovo with an M.2 SSD (if that matters at all) for many things at work, including interacting with electronic health records, patient appointment information, and more. I should encrypt my laptop's storage device somehow in order to comply with HIPAA regulations (laws that help protect patient information from being exposed to the public). Can someone tell me how to do this?

I can assume you're running Windows, but what OS are you using? And if it's Windows 10, is it Home or Pro?

I would highly recommend you contact a HIPAA representative and get guidance directly from them. they will likely have their own requirements when it comes to encryption of devices. this is not something you want to just hope you do correctly

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

4 minutes ago, ukfan140 said:

I can assume you're running Windows, but what OS are you using? And if it's Windows 10, is it Home or Pro?

It is Windows 10 Home, with the latest update

2 minutes ago, Arika S said:

I would highly recommend you contact a HIPAA representative and get guidance directly from them. they will likely have their own requirements when it comes to encryption of devices. this is not something you want to just hope you do correctly

I know my way around a computer, I've built at least 12 desktops, I'm an amateur animator and video/photo editor, I'm an avid gamer, and I'm currently taking an IT support course... The one given by Google. If I can do it myself, I'd like to. However, I will also do research to make sure what I do is correct. I just need to know the steps I should take to begin this whole process.

Just now, Aaralli said:

I know my way around a computer, I've built at least 12 desktops, I'm an amateur animator and video/photo editor, I'm an avid gamer, and I'm currently taking an IT support course... The one given by Google. If I can do it myself, I'd like to. However, I will also do research to make sure what I do is correct. I just need to know the steps I should take to begin this whole process.

it's not about being computer smart, so your "qualifications" dont mean anything, you're talking about HIPAA.

Your should start with looking up what HIPAA actually requires and if you cannot find it on their own website or documentation provided to your doctor's office, contact a representative there.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

1 minute ago, Arika S said:

it's not about being computer smart, so your "qualifications" dont mean anything, you're talking about HIPAA.

Your should start with looking up what HIPAA actually requires and if you cannot find it on their own website or documentation provided to your doctor's office, contact a representative there.

I agree. Ask someone in the IT field that is familiar with HIPPA. I'm sure more than just encryption will be needed.

1 minute ago, Arika S said:

In the documentation of the requirements for HIPAA Security, it doesn't actually say any level of encryption is required, only suggested. I'd rather be on the safe side though, and go through with it. 

Going off of what I know from experience, you probably shouldn't be storing any sensitive data on your personal computer. My mom works at a major hospital and with her position, she can work from home currently. She can't have any work-related data on her computer. She can only access anything work related through a virtual desktop while connected to a VPN. 

37 minutes ago, Aaralli said:

It is Windows 10 Home, with the latest update

If you had win 10 pro you could just use bitlocker.

Also is that your personal laptop, or a work laptop?

I'm pretty sure you shouldn't have patient information on your personal device, and if it is a work device, why is it running windows home?

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

Upgrade to Win10 pro and use bitlocker?

But I'm pretty sure having that data on your personal laptop is a big no-no in the first place, either it should be only held by the company on-premises and you working through remote access or the company should supply you with a laptop that is properly configured for such and contains nothing but what you need to work.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2