Can M.2 SSD's temperature get high to the point that it negatively affects the overall thermal performace of the PC?

JRSC

I'm planning to buy an M.2 SSD for expanded storage, I'm on a tight budget so I'm eyeing Transcend MTE220S 250gb variant. I've researched about the product and found out that they can get really hot, (well all SSD especially M.2 form factors) up to 70 deg C. So if I plan to use it for gaming and say that I'll be playing often, do you think it will constantly hit the 70 deg C mark while I play to the point that it affects the overall thermals of my PC?

every electronic component will impact your thermals negatively.
but just because it can become 70 degrees doesnt mean it dissipates much heat to the air.

m.2 use between 200-600 miliWatt which alot of is transfered to heat. but that is next to nothing compared to CPU and GPU. (EDIT: which is in the category 100 watt give or take for cpu and gpu depending on model and OC offcourse.)

the reason for its high temp is because it doesnt transfer the heat anywhere is just heating up.

2 minutes ago, Ajukrezi said:

every electronic component will impact your thermals negatively.
but just because it can become 70 degrees doesnt mean it dissipates much heat to the air.

m.2 use between 200-600 miliWatt which alot of is transfered to heat. but that is next to nothing compared to CPU and GPU. (EDIT: which is in the category 100 watt give or take for cpu and gpu depending on model and OC offcourse.)

the reason for its high temp is because it doesnt transfer the heat anywhere is just heating up.

So I can just basically play without worry that my m.2 ssd won't get too hot? I'm planning to install FFXIV and overwatch on it (idk how much load these games would put on the ssd though).

6 minutes ago, JRSC said:

So I can just basically play without worry that my m.2 ssd won't get too hot? I'm planning to install FFXIV and overwatch on it (idk how much load these games would put on the ssd though).

It will only affect itself. M.2NVMe drives need some form of cooling else they overheat and thermal throttle like any other component

So if your SSD feels sloe, that's likely ehy

Just now, JRSC said:

yeah they are build to handle it.
but the livetime of m.2 is reduced in high temp. (over 70) but it should throttle itself if high temp.
though very cheap "heatsink stickers" can be purchased to cool it a bit. but i would just have a bit of airflow over the disk and it should be fine.

copy from the spec list of the drive.

Operating Environment

Operating Temperature 0°C (32°F) ~ 70°C (158°F)

9 minutes ago, JRSC said:

ohh btw during normal gaming operations the whole throttling shouldnt be a issue, isnt a sustained load. so temps shouldnt reach 70 during normal gaming