(Guidance) Building 8-User computers

Hi everyone, I'm currently living in Brazil and am planning on building a few multi-user PCs to donate. Very similar to the one Linus built so 8 users can use a PC at once, but not as extreme as that build.

I just know how important it was for computers to be introduced into my life, mainly through school, and I think that kids who aren't exposed to computers now will be extremely left behind in the next 5-10 years.

I'm pretty experienced with building PCs but have no experience in building multi-user PCs.

What is the easiest way possible to do this both in terms of software and hardware? Also if anyone else has a similar build I'd love to see it!

-Alex

Hey Moonzy, thanks for the advice! Brazil is a nightmare with import taxes, and I don't think it will be cheaper to buy motherboards, PSU, RAM, GPUS and CPUs for every computer.

In terms of management, so it's not a one time setup and users just login? Or is it much more complicated than that?

@BlueScope819 Hey thanks for the insight. Yea this was probably a bad idea then. Gonna be a big headache...  Glad I asked! Just gonna build a bunch of individual ones then.

Thanks!

i am not a pro at this nor am i experienced, everything i say is from what i know

16 minutes ago, marksmanguy said:

I don't think it will be cheaper to buy motherboards, PSU, RAM, GPUS and CPUs for every computer.

considering you'll need 32 cores for 8 VMs with 4 cores, ignoring a host (which u will definitely need)

you'll need to get threadripper 3970x or something equivalent

that's already $1999, enough to buy you 8x ryzen 3 3300x ($120 ea), and 8x B450 tomahawk max ($125 ea), which is 1960 total

u have $39 left to buy them pizza as well

or u can get them APU if they dont need that much GPU horsepower, saving a ton of money on GPUs as each VM needs a dedicated GPU

i still havent included a TRX40 board too

factoring in that you need a psu for each machine, it'll probably cost around the same price, or even less

16 minutes ago, marksmanguy said:

so it's not a one time setup and users just login?

i dont know how convenient it is but judging from linus' video... it's a hell to setup, and even use

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Just now, marksmanguy said:

@Moonzy @BlueScope819 Thanks again both of you! This was super helpful 🙂

you can create a new thread under build planning sub forum if you'd like us to help configure the 8 systems

u can use the template provided in the pinned threads to provide us more information

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Well when Linus built the office gaming room he built multiple computers, when he did an experiment that wasn’t meant for long term use he built one for 7.

That tells the you all you need to know.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

So you need a few things.

A Mainboard with as much PCIe Slots as possible my best gues would be 7 Slots in the best case you can leverage 6 of them with risers and a Mining rig like Case. 

Something like dual xeons 10-12 Cores 

At least 96 Gig of RAM.

A few smaller SSD as VM Drives for the win 10 VMs 

A few HDDs as Game drives.

You need a 10 Gig Router, that splits in a least 6 gbit Ports, in the building and a 10 gig Networkcard.

You can Setup an VM ware esxi Hypervisor with 6 Windows VMs and passtrough whatever gpus you get.

Use  old Steam links on any Monitor you want in the LAN range.

It will Work. 1080p for Sure.

CPU

Intel  i9 13900k

Motherboard

Asrock Z790 Taichi

RAM

Kingston Fury Beast DDR5 RGB 32GB 6000MHZ

GPU

MSI GeForce RTX 4090 GAMING TRIO 24G 

Storage

Samsung SSD 980 PRO 1TB 
Unraid NAS 10Gbit about 50TB HDD's, i713700k 64GB DDR5 crucial @ 5800Mhz 

Win11 Workstation

What are the users doing on the pc?

If its for basic use, its probably cheaper to use something like aster or microsoft multipoint. THat ways there is no vms, and a basic system should work for fine for like 4 users doing things like web browsing, and is pretty esay to setup