Cases with no PSU fan hole cause PSU to overheat?

Pc6777
Go to solution Solved by Ralf,
3 hours ago, Pc6777 said:

So I had a few random restarts  only at heavy load a few months back in a PC,it was sucking in air that was like 30 to 45 c at load. How important is it for a PSU to have isolated airflow from rest of the case and so you think my hypophosis is right?

Well that explains it, it was sucking in super hot air in a case with extremely bad airflow at load

My G3 550W(top mount) and a 80mm hole is the only exhaust in my old PC, so the psu draws hot air(50-60℃) from FX8320 with HR-02 Macho(which is literately blocking the psu from getting any fresh air) and it is still working fine, no restarts whatsoever.

So I had a few random restarts  only at heavy load a few months back in a PC I have since replaced a lot of the parts in and gotten a new case for and psu, at the time it had an i5 6500, 16 GB ddr4, rtx 2060 mini itx with one fan an EVGA w1 500 watt and a micro atx case with top PSU mount and no holes for PSU to get fresh air from outside case, so it got air from inside the case with only 2 case fans and horrible airflow. I know the EVGA w1 isn't the best PSU but it's no diablotek and I think it overheated beacause it was sucking hot air in from the case that had horrible airflow and a gpu that was getting so hot it was almost throttleling. Plus it was mounted on top and hot air rises, I have since gotten a new case and PSU that makes it so the PSU gets fresh air from outside the case and has isolated airflow away from rest of the system. I'm usingg the w1 500 watt PSU in another system that has proper mounting and a case that lets it get air from outside case, I doubt the PSU is bad beacause it worked fine most of the time and they only have a max temp of like 40 or 50 c the it was sucking in air that was like 30 to 45 c at load. How important is it for a PSU to have isolated airflow from rest of the case and so you think my hypophosis is right? How much of a difference does it make when a PSU only sucks in fresh air? I know some people have there power supplys the way I had mine but ussully it's a bottom mount and they have cases with better airflow/fans.

The W1 are closer to Diablotek that you think.

The W1s thermal ceiling is 30*C

Well that explains it, it was sucking in super hot air in a case with extremely bad airflow at load and had a thermal ceiling of 30 c, but I don't think the PSU is faulty (I hope) it just overheated I'm going to use it for another system so hopefully I'm right 

And how much of a difference does it make when a PSU gets fresh air and is isolated from the computers airflow?

9 minutes ago, Pc6777 said:

Well that explains it, it was sucking in super hot air in a case with extremely bad airflow at load and had a thermal ceiling of 30 c, but I don't think the PSU is faulty (I hope) it just overheated I'm going to use it for another system so hopefully I'm right 

The EVGA W1 and N1 are extremely bad quality and unreliable. I would never use one of those in my own systems. They have frequently been the cause of various issues and some have even killed hardware. Just look at older threads in this forum.

53 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

The W1 are closer to Diablotek that you think.

The W1s thermal ceiling is 30*C

It's rated for 40°C ambient at full load.

image.png.49f397472f67d78aa092fe04555fd3b8.png

57 minutes ago, Pc6777 said:

How important is it for a PSU to have isolated airflow from rest of the case and so you think my hypophosis is right? How much of a difference does it make when a PSU only sucks in fresh air?

As far as whether you should mount the fan facing in or the fan facing out it really depends on the case and how you're using it. Mount whichever way you think would give the most airflow. For example if your case has a  PSU shroud you'd obviously want to mount the fan down so it sucks in fresh air from outside. If you have your case on carpet you would obviously want the fan facing in so it can get some air and now just choke on your carpet.

I extremely doubt the reason your PC shut down was because of the temperature of the PSU, especially if the system restarted.

You mentioned that you already replaced some hardware? What did you replace and is it still restarting unexpectedly?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

47 minutes ago, Spotty said:

As far as whether you should mount the fan facing in or the fan facing out it really depends on the case and how you're using it. Mount whichever way you think would give the most airflow. For example if your case has a  PSU shroud you'd obviously want to mount the fan down so it sucks in fresh air from outside. If you have your case on carpet you would obviously want the fan facing in so it can get some air and now just choke on your carpet.

I extremely doubt the reason your PC shut down was because of the temperature of the PSU, especially if the system restarted.

You mentioned that you already replaced some hardware? What did you replace and is it still restarting unexpectedly?

Wait that's new. The one I had was 30c and I am absolutely certain.

18 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Wait that's new. The one I had was 30c and I am absolutely certain.

I think the N1 is rated for max 30C, while the W1 is 40C. Maybe you're confusing it for that?

Either way they're both poor quality, I wouldn't use either of them with a 2060.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

1 hour ago, Mateyyy said:

I think the N1 is rated for max 30C, while the W1 is 40C. Maybe you're confusing it for that?

25°C for the N1.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

It did this before the hardware replacement not after 

But it was only like 2 times and never caused a problem again

So I had a few random restarts  only at heavy load a few months back in a PC,it was sucking in air that was like 30 to 45 c at load. How important is it for a PSU to have isolated airflow from rest of the case and so you think my hypophosis is right?

Well that explains it, it was sucking in super hot air in a case with extremely bad airflow at load

My G3 550W(top mount) and a 80mm hole is the only exhaust in my old PC, so the psu draws hot air(50-60℃) from FX8320 with HR-02 Macho(which is literately blocking the psu from getting any fresh air) and it is still working fine, no restarts whatsoever.

Interim 15 T200 OKF("F" intel processors are specifically archituctured for gaming) maybe upgrad to 13'900 | Peeralight cpu fan | Stryx Z690-A Wife(which is branded by ASUS and it's ROG label) | Thermotake 16x 8x2GO SODINM 2400mjz cl22 (2 of them with the mood lighting) | 980 EVO 1TB m.2 ssd card + Kensington 2TB SATA nvme + WD BLACK PRO ULTRA MAX 4TB GAMING DESTROYER HHD | Echa etc 3060 duel fan dissipator 12 GBi and Azrock with the radian 550 XT Tiachi | NEXT H510 Vit Klar Svart | Seasonice 600watts voeding(rated for 100.000 hours, running since 2010, ballpark estimate 8 hours a day which should make it good for 34 years) | Nocturna case fans | 0LED Duel moniter

New build in progress: Ryen™ 8 7700x3D with a copper pipe fan | Z60e-A | Kingstron RENEGATE 16x2 Go hyenix | Phantek 2 the thar mesh in front | lead lex black label psu + AsiaHorse białe/białe | 1080 Pro 8TB 15800MB/S NvMe(for gaming this increase fps and charging time, cooled by a M.2 slot with coolblock and additional thermopad) and faster 4000GB HHD | MAI GeForce GTX 2070 Ti and RTX 6800 | Corshair psu

really, I still think threes a chance it was my psu overheating the airflow was so bad the hard drives were getting too hot and I had to zip tie case fans to holes on side of case lol,  it also could have been the ups because there was a short blackout and my pc shut off or restarted I forget but it was plugged into the ups so it should have stayed on so maybe the ups then again I have more load on it right now with a different system and its not happening. I could replace the evga with another cheaper psu for my other pc and use the evga as a spare but Im still somewhat convinced the unit is fine and could have been overheating.

15 hours ago, Spotty said:

It's not still doing that and I got a new Mobo and cpu and am running a 600 w1 that I might replace down the line and use the 600 watt w1 for something else 

I'm convinced it was the PSU overheating beacause I ran the 500 watt w1 that I suspect restarted my old PC with an i5 6500 and rtx 2060 on an i7 6700k and rtx 2060 and it ran fine for the short amount of time I had them together like the airflow was so bad the hard drives got too hot gpu idk maybe it was a thermal protection for something else and unrelated to PSU.

Just now, Pc6777 said:

I'm convinced it was the PSU overheating beacause I ran the 500 watt w1 that I suspect restarted my old PC with an i5 6500 and rtx 2060 on an i7 6700k and rtx 2060 and it ran fine for the short amount of time I had them together like the airflow was so bad on my old case the hard drives got too hot gpu was at 84 c and couldn't boost itself to boost speeds idk maybe it was a thermal protection for something else and unrelated to PSU.