Weird greasy/sticky fluid coming from behind the motherboard.

Hi guys!

I was cleaning my pc today and noticed a weird greasy trail coming from behind the VRM's on my B450-E motherboard from Asus. I don't really know what it is and what to do with it. I think it could be the the thermal pads that are melting but who knows. My system is running stock settings on everything and is working perfectly fine. What should I do? 

IMG_20200724_144904.jpg

Desktop: CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 @4,1 Ghz GPU: AMD Radeon 5700XT @2,2 Ghz RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB @2666 Mhz  MB: Asus ROG STRIX B450-E Storage: Western Digital SN750 500GB + Samsung 970 EVO 250GB + Seagate Barracuda Compute 1000GB Case: NZXT H500 

Results: Cinebench R20 Multi-thread: 2800

Looks like thermal grease from the thermal pads. It's not conductive so it's fine for the most part. 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

2 minutes ago, Slammer said:

Hi guys!

I was cleaning my pc today and noticed a weird greasy trail coming from behind the VRM's on my B450-E motherboard from Asus. I don't really know what it is and what to do with it. I think it could be the the thermal pads that are melting but who knows. My system is running stock settings on everything and is working perfectly fine. What should I do? 

What cooling fans are in your system, what case are you using, and in what configuration do you have your fans running, could be that the thermal compound from the motherboard's thermal pads are melting and leaking out or it could also be liquid electrolyte coming out of capacitors on the board.

Hope this information post was helpful  ?,

@Boomwebsearch 

3 minutes ago, Boomwebsearch said:

What cooling fans are in your system, what case are you using, and in what configuration do you have your fans running, could be that the thermal compound from the motherboard's thermal pads are melting and leaking out or it could also be liquid electrolyte coming out of capacitors on the board.

I have a h500 case with two standard NZXT fans one above the motherboard and one next to it one. The one next to my motherboard is pulling fresh air in and the top side is pushing air out. I don't see any popped caps and I hope its not that. 

Desktop: CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 @4,1 Ghz GPU: AMD Radeon 5700XT @2,2 Ghz RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB @2666 Mhz  MB: Asus ROG STRIX B450-E Storage: Western Digital SN750 500GB + Samsung 970 EVO 250GB + Seagate Barracuda Compute 1000GB Case: NZXT H500 

Results: Cinebench R20 Multi-thread: 2800

26 minutes ago, Slammer said:

I have a h500 case with two standard NZXT fans one above the motherboard and one next to it one. The one next to my motherboard is pulling fresh air in and the top side is pushing air out. I don't see any popped caps and I hope its not that. 

It would be difficult to determine if the capacitors are leaking without a clear image of the motherboard, I would recommend setting the fan on the top and rear to exhaust and getting two more 120 or 140mm fans on the front for intake.

https://www.amazon.com/Apevia-AF212S-BK-120mm-Motherboard-Silent/dp/B017S5P8FG/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=2+pack+120mm+fans&qid=1595611107&sr=8-3

Hope this information post was helpful  ?,

@Boomwebsearch 

• 10 months later...
On 7/24/2020 at 10:40 AM, Slammer said:

Hi guys!

IMG_20200724_144904.jpg

I have that issue also I have no clue as to what that stuff is but I have a b450 tuff gaming pro matx the thing it's coming out of looks just like that 

• 10 months later...

Hey peeps. Just noticed the same on my B450-E from Asus. Did you guys find out if this caused any problems at all in the end? I have the exact same issue and cant find anything else about it online. Sorry to try and revive an old thread.