Looking for a new headset?

Hey guys! 

I came into the PC world from Xbox 360 and I am still using my old Turtle Beach x32's. On PC, they lose their wireless capabilities and they still need batteries. Not to mention they sound so flat and crappy. The only reason I haven't jumped on another headset is because of one feature. The x32's allow you to hear what comes into the mic through the headset. I have tried another headset that didn't have that, and I found myself yelling. Being 15 in a packed house at all hours of the night, this isn't ok. 

Is there a software solution for any headset, or is this a hardware thing? If its a hardware thing, can someone recommend a good, relatively cheap headset?

Thanks!

I could be very wrong

So you want to hear yourself? Thats shitting easy to do. First, right click on recording devices, right click on the mic, press properties, inside there, there will be a tab that says "listen" there will be an option to click "listen to this device" 

Diamond 5 in League :)

Wow. That's alot simpler than I thought it would be. Thanks!

I could be very wrong

So you want to hear yourself? Thats shitting easy to do. First, right click on recording devices, right click on the mic, press properties, inside there, there will be a tab that says "listen" there will be an option to click "listen to this device" 

With a slight delay that makes speaking near to impossible? I don't think that's what he's looking for.

THE signature

Welcome to PC world, where everything is possible.

Potatoes are good for your nostrils.

With a slight delay that makes speaking near to impossible? I don't think that's what he's looking for.

People get used to it over time, what do you have to bring to the table?

People get used to it over time, what do you have to bring to the table?

Not much really, if I had found a free alternative, I would've used it by now. Getting a new headset with no latency monitoring is a possibilty, and some quite expensive Audio interfaces do support low latency monitoring, but that would go way out of his budget. 

Or use some cheap earbuds, I think that would work too, but far from ideal.

THE signature

Not much really, if I had found a free alternative, I would've used it by now. Getting a new headset with no latency monitoring is a possibilty, and some quite expensive Audio interfaces do support low latency monitoring, but that would go way out of his budget. 

Or use some cheap earbuds, I think that would work too, but far from ideal.

Thats why I recommended what I recommended.

Thats why I recommended what I recommended.

Gotta raise my post count in a pointless argument tho.

welcome to the PC you can do things here xD

He's right. I grabbed my friends Logitech G930's and tried it out. The latency was mind numbing, and the volume was low and non-configurable. 

I could be very wrong

He's right. I grabbed my friends Logitech G930's and tried it out. The latency was mind numbing, and the volume was low and non-configurable. 

I don't get it. I'm using old Sony clip on mic (by old, I mean really old, maybe around 20 years old), plugged in the front mic jack, and I don't find any delay that's mind numbing. If I have to take a guess, maybe around 100-200ms (0.1-0.2 seconds), which is still very acceptable for me. 

In windows 7,  the mic properties (like shdow said), there are 2 tabs, 'listen', and 'custom'. The custom tab have a 'monitoring' checkbox. You can check 'listen to this device', or 'monitoring', but don't check both, as the sound would sound so distant and echoey.

For the volume, you can use the levels tab to max out the mic's volume. If that's not enough, just use 'microphone boost' in 'custom' tab.....

In windows 7, the mic properties (like shdow said), there are 2 tabs, 'listen', and 'custom'

I've literally never seen or heard about the "Custom" tab...

I've literally never seen or heard about the "Custom" tab...

It would appear that you aren't believing hard enough

Really? Maybe different windows ver? Mine is windows 7 ultimate

Maybe it is an "Ultimate" "feature"

Here's mine:

post-2468-0-22971300-1393871652.png

The Blue Snowflake has no "Custom" tab at all.

It probably is because I have ultimate and mine doesn't have the custom tab xD

a05034e598359f615b94b779d0a92122.png

cc3491e1f67d1e8f1c7df61fc76946c2.png

I too run Ultimate, and only one of my mic inputs have a custom tab.

If you wanna change your headset skullcandy slyr is a nice choice, you can get them for 60~70 if you look around.

They let you monitor the mic with no lag at all (not that I could perceive) and are compatible with your old Xbox.

That said, the cable is about 5 meters (longer than a mid size car) so it tangles a lot (or you have to wrap it)

The custom tab is a sound device feature.

That makes sense. Seeing how the others are running ultimate too, the other variable would be the sound card. I'm using xonar DG. 

But logically, it's the DG's software/driver that 'tell' the windows audio properties to come up with the custom tab, right? Somebody should come out with an independent application that do the exact thing. Maybe registry tweak or something, that make the windows audio properties to include the custom tab (seeing how it's quite useful for people working with mics and recording voices)

There's a lot of little software tweaks that "need" to come out, but I doubt we'll see them in our lifetime.

About delay time, just found this feature while browsing around:

Always on the beat thanks to real time microphone input
Never again miss a note or a single beat! While software karaoke and recording typically have mic lag, D-KARA hardware includes an advanced microphone-input digital signal processor that's up to 100 times more responsive than onboard audio. It's even up to ten times quicker than other karaoke cards. With microphone response this fast, you're ready for the big time.

Xonar D-KARA. Perhaps needs analog output mics though.