How to Get Sponsors?

aom
Go to solution Solved by lutro0customs,

The most simple way to explain how to get sponsors IMO without writing a book is as follows.

1. You need to have a few mods under your belt and they need to have visible work logs. I'm not saying you need to have a worklog on every single forum or site out there but have a worklog in which you interact with your subscribers. A good worklog in which the modder takes the time to explain what they are doing with video or lots of pictures and is why people will sub and read about your mod.

2. Help the community and be a part of it, find something you are knowledgeable in or are good at and then help others in that area. If you cant think of an area, pick one you like and read up on it - if you take the time to help others then your name will be known and for a good reason.

3. Try to be original with your mods. Take your time to think of something that other people haven't tried, a color scheme that hasn't been done a billion times, incorporate a medium thats rarely used, and so on.

4. Enter contests with your mods, try to goto lans, shows, and so on. Winning a contest even a small one helps allot. But the biggest part of going to shows or lans is getting to know the people. You can send a thousand emails to a thousand different marketing people but if you take the time to introduce yourself face to face if you get the chance means allot. Hopefully you even get a business card and share yours as well.

4. Once you have accomplished some of that plan out an original mod or scratch build - take the time to have a full plan of what you would like for parts, maybe some renders, or possible get started on some of it.

5. Send an email or even call to those you have met and maybe a couple you haven't - dont spam the entire network, just who you need or planned to for your mod. Start small like one to 3 sponsors and ask for reasonable items and then follow through with your word or any stipulations that may have. Write a professional precise email explaining your project and why you think that their product would be perfect for your mod. (a good tip here is to plan on using parts that are relatively new but not $1000 video cards) Let them know that you understand what it means to be sponsored. As a business owner myself we sponsor people all the time and I am much more willing to sponsor someone that understands that sponsorship is given for you to advertise those products. If you let your contact know you have a plan to show off their parts and merchandise in many different places maybe even do a review or take it to different shows it will help immensely.  

6. Last but not least - just enjoy modding, dont make seeking sponsors the begin and end all of modding for you. There is so many people that make this the focus of why they mod and they end up being those pushy people that think they deserve everything for free, or end up as gimme gimme people and spam the whole world for sponsors. If you just enjoy what you do and continue about your hobby the right time will present itself. Modding is an expensive hobby - even more so for those that do get sponsored as once sponsored you have an obligation to finish that computer and to finish it to the best of your ability and those that don't and just take free stuff are who make it hard for others to get sponsored.

Ok I didn't plan on writing a mini novel there but I hope it helps someone.

Also to answer the question about giving stuff back.

There is different terms for all sponsorships. Sometime the company will pay you to make the mod and provide a budget which in most cases means you give it to them when your done.
Also they may just sponsor you parts in which case they expect you to advertise as much as possible, maybe even goto a show with it.
I have had a few sponsors have me mail my sponsored mod so they could display it at a show or two as a showcase mod, or they ask for your to bring it to the shows with you.

It really all depends on what you and the sponsor agree to.

A lot of the builds that I have looked at are sponsored by companies like Corsair, XSPC, etc. If they are like sponsors in other stuff, do they basically just send you parts and you have to use and mention their product,etc. I am on really tight budget and I really want to make a scratchbuild. Currently, my computer is way too old and the motherboard form factor won't even fit. How do people get sponsored?

It helps a lot if you have (good) previous work you can show off to prove

to them that you're worth the investment. After all, a sponsorship is a

partnership between you and your sponsor, they need to be confident that

they'll actually get their money's worth if they give you parts.

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

youtubers have an established audience, so there products gets exposure.

PC: Corsair 900D | Corsair AX860 | Maxmius VI Hero | i7 4770k | Corsair H100i | 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2133 | Sapphire Radeon 7950 | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | Win7 X64

HTPC: Silverstone GD05 Black | Corsair VS350W | AMD A6 5400K | AsRock FM2A75-PRO4-M | Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB DDR3 1600 | Samsung 840 128GB | WD Black 4TBx2 | Leadtek Winfast DTV2000DS | LiteOn BD\DVD-RW Combo | WIN7 x64/XBMC

youtubers have an established audience, so there products gets exposure.

Yeah, that can also be a big help, especially if you don't have any

previous modding projects under your belt: Show them you have a

pre-existing audience (preferrably a large one ;)).

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

Yeah, that can also be a big help, especially if you don't have any

previous modding projects under your belt: Show them you have a

pre-existing audience (preferrably a large one ;)).

whoa since when did you become a staff member :P

whoa since when did you become a staff member :P

A few days ago. :)

</offtopic> ;)

A few days ago. :)

</offtopic> ;)

oooh a new mod

but odd this the first time i seen you plus with all that post i am shocked i didn't see you before.......

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

your not going to get sponsored because u can build a computer or u need the parts u need to be able to mod extremely well and make an awesome build with your own designs or have a big youtube following.

oooh a new mod

but odd this the first time i seen you plus with all that post i am shocked i didn't see you before.......

I mostly hang around in the build logs section, the storage subforum and occasionally in

programming and watercooling. So yeah, if you don't stop by there too often our paths

probably haven't crossed before. ;)

your not going to get sponsored because u can build a computer or u need the parts u need to be able to mod extremely well and make an awesome build with your own designs or have a big youtube following.

If you have a really, properly well though-out concept they might still go for it (I think

onevoicewild did this with his metallica build), but since you don't have anything else

to impress them with in that case, that concept better be pretty damn impressive.

It's still possible, but much more difficult.

Consider it like a job application: The more (good) material you have to show, and the

better that material is, the higher your chances.

there 3 important things :

1 big audience 

2 lot of experience 

3 money for necessary equipment 

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

I mostly hang around in the build logs section, the storage subforum and occasionally in

programming and watercooling. So yeah, if you don't stop by there too often our paths

oooo that explain why i never seen you before  :D

i hardly ever ever visit that place as it is out of my understandings  :ph34r:

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

If you have a really, properly well though-out concept they might still go for it (I think

onevoicewild did this with his metallica build), but since you don't have anything else

to impress them with in that case, that concept better be pretty damn impressive.

It's still possible, but much more difficult.

Consider it like a job application: The more (good) material you have to show, and the

better that material is, the higher your chances.

Thanks. While I dont have a big audience or modding experience (T_T)

I do have a really good scratch build idea that I have only seen a couple people do before

Plus, I'll make a cardboard makeup of the case to show that I am capable. 

And hoepfully they are kind the day i send the email. Ive got nothing to lose so why not try.

1 big audience 

2 lot of experience 

3 money for necessary equipment 

Yeah, the equipment part is not something to take lightly. A lot can be done

with pretty basic tools, but still, some people kind of forget about the tools

when making their budgets and suddenly they are spending money they

did not plan on spending.

oooo that explain why i never seen you before  :D

i hardly ever ever visit that place as it is out of my understandings  :ph34r:

Yup.

PS: Edit button avoids double posts, saves the world! ;)

Thanks. While I dont have a big audience or modding experience (T_T)

I do have a really good scratch build idea that I have only seen a couple people do before

Plus, I'll make a cardboard makeup of the case to show that I am capable. 

And hoepfully they are kind the day i send the email. Ive got nothing to lose so why not try.

You need to convince them that your idea is good and that you can actually pull

it off. There are quite a few sponsored build logs floating around the internet which

never got finished, and sponsors do not like such things at all, so you need to

convince them that you'll actually follow through until it's done (and done well).

But yeah, asking doesn't hurt. As said, I recommend thinking about it like a job

interview. Take it seriously, bring your A-game and if you strike out, then at least

you did your best.

• 4 weeks later...

1 big audience 

-snip-

@ Sharif , alpenwasser

- sooo, what if you got all of this, but really not an audience at all? would you have to lend it to them for shows 'n stuff?

- also, do you have to give the sponsored items back at some point, or can you keep them forever?

build log: diagonalmod (RIP?)

i know i use many of these: ( ) and these: ... (i really do... (sry...) ) edit: and edits

Hard work of high quality and a proven track record got me my sponsors.

Also running a 7.4 million hit WC thread doesnt hurt either.

SR-2-2x X5650 Xeons-3x 670 FTW-1x 120Gb Force GT-1x 240Gb Force GT-1tb WD Green-12Gb Dom GT 1866-Platimax 1500w-2x HK3-2xD5-24v controller-3x RX 480's-3x NiBlk HK GPU blocks-Koolance tops-BP res-15x SP120's-Little Devil V8.

@ Sharif , alpenwasser

- sooo, what if you got all of this, but really not an audience at all? would you have to lend it to them for shows 'n stuff?

- also, do you have to give the sponsored items back at some point, or can you keep them forever?

Both of those would most likely depend on the sponsorship agreement you enter.

The most simple way to explain how to get sponsors IMO without writing a book is as follows.

1. You need to have a few mods under your belt and they need to have visible work logs. I'm not saying you need to have a worklog on every single forum or site out there but have a worklog in which you interact with your subscribers. A good worklog in which the modder takes the time to explain what they are doing with video or lots of pictures and is why people will sub and read about your mod.

2. Help the community and be a part of it, find something you are knowledgeable in or are good at and then help others in that area. If you cant think of an area, pick one you like and read up on it - if you take the time to help others then your name will be known and for a good reason.

3. Try to be original with your mods. Take your time to think of something that other people haven't tried, a color scheme that hasn't been done a billion times, incorporate a medium thats rarely used, and so on.

4. Enter contests with your mods, try to goto lans, shows, and so on. Winning a contest even a small one helps allot. But the biggest part of going to shows or lans is getting to know the people. You can send a thousand emails to a thousand different marketing people but if you take the time to introduce yourself face to face if you get the chance means allot. Hopefully you even get a business card and share yours as well.

4. Once you have accomplished some of that plan out an original mod or scratch build - take the time to have a full plan of what you would like for parts, maybe some renders, or possible get started on some of it.

5. Send an email or even call to those you have met and maybe a couple you haven't - dont spam the entire network, just who you need or planned to for your mod. Start small like one to 3 sponsors and ask for reasonable items and then follow through with your word or any stipulations that may have. Write a professional precise email explaining your project and why you think that their product would be perfect for your mod. (a good tip here is to plan on using parts that are relatively new but not $1000 video cards) Let them know that you understand what it means to be sponsored. As a business owner myself we sponsor people all the time and I am much more willing to sponsor someone that understands that sponsorship is given for you to advertise those products. If you let your contact know you have a plan to show off their parts and merchandise in many different places maybe even do a review or take it to different shows it will help immensely.  

6. Last but not least - just enjoy modding, dont make seeking sponsors the begin and end all of modding for you. There is so many people that make this the focus of why they mod and they end up being those pushy people that think they deserve everything for free, or end up as gimme gimme people and spam the whole world for sponsors. If you just enjoy what you do and continue about your hobby the right time will present itself. Modding is an expensive hobby - even more so for those that do get sponsored as once sponsored you have an obligation to finish that computer and to finish it to the best of your ability and those that don't and just take free stuff are who make it hard for others to get sponsored.

There is different terms for all sponsorships. Sometime the company will pay you to make the mod and provide a budget which in most cases means you give it to them when your done.
Also they may just sponsor you parts in which case they expect you to advertise as much as possible, maybe even goto a show with it.
I have had a few sponsors have me mail my sponsored mod so they could display it at a show or two as a showcase mod, or they ask for your to bring it to the shows with you.

[MAINFrame Customs Shop] | [Sleeving Guide Videos] | [Sleeving FAQ]
[Project Log]:[ Katharos ]: April MotM Winner | [Project Log]:[ Xýlo Kai Chalkó ]: Working | [Project Log]:[ Aspros ]: Done - 4th Place PDX Lan |
[Reason I Live]

6 Being the most pertinant point,don't just ask for the sake of asking,the love of modding should be the driving force,not what you can get out of it.

I choose the manufacturers I want to work with care,I would rather assist grassroots buisnesses like Lutro0 or PARVUM than with the likes Alphacool,I want to see breakthru companies winning rather the big companies.

Either way,forget about ASUS or EVGA beating a path to your door.....

SR-2-2x X5650 Xeons-3x 670 FTW-1x 120Gb Force GT-1x 240Gb Force GT-1tb WD Green-12Gb Dom GT 1866-Platimax 1500w-2x HK3-2xD5-24v controller-3x RX 480's-3x NiBlk HK GPU blocks-Koolance tops-BP res-15x SP120's-Little Devil V8.

You need really past experience and its like if the project fails, you won't be getting a second chance. Also no one is gonna give you money to make something if you have a tight budget and can't get everything together. 

Did not realize that this thread was still active lol.

I have drastically changed the scope of my build a couple times(kinda glad I decided to wait until the summer)

Thanks for the tips. 1. really worries me since I really don't have past experience with case modding or scratch builds. However, I secured myself a part time job in the summer, so I will be able to make some money ($500) which will plenty to get the tools, materials, and some components. Thus, I really am not pushed to get sponsors as much.

And response to number 6. While I would like to get some parts from sponsors that I would never be able to get, my second reason for them is that it makes me follow through no matter what. I do not like to fail people's expectations of me. That is just my nature. Thus, I wanted to "exploit" this and get myself to really get this done. Plus, I love modding and making stuff in general. If I didn't like it, I wouldn't even bother even if I got free stuff.

Thank you again and to the other people of the thread for giving me some tips on how I should approach this.