Pcie madness

Retyf

So I have a MEG Z390 GODLIKE mother board with 3 extra pcie express slots and a crap ton of money, what would you do with them if you were me?

6 minutes ago, Retyf said:

and a crap ton of money

people would think that you should slot in more GPUs or something like that

but personally, I would hire a butler to do that

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

9 minutes ago, Retyf said:

So I have a Asus rog godlike mother board with 3 extra pcie express slots and a crap ton of money, what would you do with them if you were me?

10 Gig network card, either an NVME SSD card or Optane, and EVGA's sound card. 

Now if this were actually me I would grab a network card, and 2 2080 ti's and set them afire blender rendering.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

7 minutes ago, Retyf said:

what would you do with them if you were me?

I'd figure out what motherboard I actually have, because "Godlike" boards are MSI's, not ASUS'.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

Just now, Mateyyy said:

I'd figure out what motherboard I actually have, because "Godlike" boards are MSI's, not ASUS'.

My bad. It’s late at night and I’m tired enough to not think straight but not tired enough to sleep and stop thinking about my computer. I’ll correct that if I’m able to. 

15 minutes ago, Retyf said:

So I have a Asus rog godlike mother board

Isnt it MSI who does the Godlike boards?

20 minutes ago, Retyf said:

what would you do with them if you were me?

Dunno, because it says very little about the board or even more important the CPU plattform used. 

13 minutes ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

10 Gig network card, either an NVME SSD card or Optane, and EVGA's sound card. 

Now if this were actually me I would grab a network card, and 2 2080 ti's and set them afire blender rendering.

Sounds good to me. I currently have one 2080 ti and wanted to see what others would do. 

if you don’t mind me asking, is there a way to have more pcie express slots or am I asking for the impossible?

4 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Isnt it MSI who does the Godlike boards?

Dunno, because it says very little about the board or even more important the CPU plattform used. 

Yes it’s MSI who makes them. Had a big bad typo. 

10 hours ago, Retyf said:

, what would you do with them if you were me?

if i do not need them, then i would't bother with them.

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

30 minutes ago, Retyf said:

So I have a MEG Z390 GODLIKE mother board with 3 extra pcie express slots and a crap ton of money, what would you do with them if you were me?

apart from a second graphics card, i'd say, a single or dual port 10gbe NIC, and a nice premium sound card.

1 hour ago, Retyf said:

My bad. It’s late at night and I’m tired enough to not think straight but not tired enough to sleep and stop thinking about my computer. I’ll correct that if I’m able to. 

2.5/5/10G NIC, PCIe SSDs, a high-end sound card, etc. A second 2080Ti would be pointless unless you'd use them for heavy rendering.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

Premium audio cards are useless if you do not have the audio gear (that may cost orders of magnitude more than the entire PC) to really make use of them, or you connect digitally to your audio setup, or don't have your gear electrically grounded.

2 hours ago, Retyf said:

I'd sell the board and buy a Threadripper motherboard, which actually HAS pci-e lanes to throw to the pci-e slots. 80 pci-e 4.0 lanes spread across 4-7 pci-e slots + m.2 connectors + bifurcation support + ecc support + 8 memory sticks...

As for what to use pci-e slots .... extra video card, hdmi capture card , SDI/other input capture card, SCSI controller (for some tape drive backup that's older and doesn't use usb, or for scsi drives) , extra sata/sas controller if more storage is needed, higher end sound card, extra thunderbolt cards if supported ...

5 hours ago, Retyf said:

Probably just get M.2 expansion cards and fill them up as I need to.

On 7/19/2020 at 2:19 AM, Retyf said:

Sounds good to me. I currently have one 2080 ti and wanted to see what others would do. 

if you don’t mind me asking, is there a way to have more pcie express slots or am I asking for the impossible?

Well there are ways to split you existing slots, but they are generally on the more expensive side, and merely split the bandwidth, so while you CAN use them, if you plan to perform any real data transfers you generally shouldn't.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!