Star Citizen Video Card Upgrade Choices

So I need to upgrade my video card, as well as my wifes which is a whole nother story since she managed to fry a crosair HX650 power supply somehow. I am currently running a Radeon HD5850 (I know please don't beat me). My question is, since all the various 'coin miners are eating up all my lovely Radeon cards, do I step down to the R9 270X or bite the bullet and switch to NVidia? I am obviously a fan-boy of AMD since they have been excellent in price-to-performance ratios in the past, but I am not above switching if I have to. There is no way on earth I am paying ten benji's for a single PC component. I am not that hardcore.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

Anticure83

budget and location? 

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

@Anticure83

Really need a budget for this one mate, also, what's the rest of your system look like? (Wouldn't want to make a recommendation when you could get something else that would bump it better.)

Case: Lian Li PC011-D - CPU: 3900x - GPU: 2080ti Reference - Mobo: Gigabyte - Ram: Corsair 4x16gb 3200MHz - SSD: 2TB Samsung Evo NVME

Bite the bullet and switch to NVIDIA if you have the budget for a GTX 760, GTX 770, GTX 780 etc. or don't if you have $200 or less.

But like acidydragon said, we need a budget and we need to know what your system is now to make a sufficient suggestion.

@Anticure83

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Budget, current rig, and favoret ice cream. Once w knows this we can help assess your question.

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

budget and location? 

@Anticure83

Really need a budget for this one mate, also, what's the rest of your system look like? (Wouldn't want to make a recommendation when you could get something else that would bump it better.)

Sorry I forgot. Ohio in the States, and up to $500 and maybe a bit above for tax and whatnot.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

Anticure83

Budget, current rig, and favoret ice cream. Once w knows this we can help assess your question.

Butter Pecan of course.

Anticure83

Sorry I forgot. Ohio in the States, and up to $500 and maybe a bit above for tax and whatnot.

yes its $50 over but its well worth it for best card with a good cooler 

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-video-card-r9290dc2oc4gd5

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

I would love to go with an R9 290 or 290X but I refuse to buy until the prices come back down. I will switch to NVidia before being price gouged by 'coin miners. If only there were a console command in life to simply spawn a set of 4.

Anticure83

I would love to go with an R9 290 or 290X but I refuse to buy until the prices come back down. I will switch to NVidia before being price gouged by 'coin miners. If only there were a console command in life to simply spawn a set of 4.

sucks man go with a 780 fits right into your budget and all 

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-video-card-03gp42784kr

Specs

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-video-card-gvr929oc4gd

The Gigabyte card will likely OC better

But 780 FTW

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-video-card-gvn780ghz3gd

CPU: Intel i7 4790K @4.8GhZ  CPU Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2  Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97 UD3H  GPU: Asus ROG RX 480 8G OC Memory: 32GB Gskill Ares 2400Mhz  Storage: 2x Crucial M4 512GB SSD (raid0)  / 1TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 750W  Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB (64 bit) Other: NZXT Hue+ LED Controller with 8 LED Strips for desk and PC lighting

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-video-card-gvr929oc4gd

The Gigabyte card will likely OC better

windforce is just ugly in my opinion direct cu ii is small and quiet but thats just my opinion 

Specs

windforce is just ugly in my opinion direct cu ii is small and quiet but thats just my opinion 

ugly indeed...

CPU: Intel i7 4790K @4.8GhZ  CPU Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2  Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97 UD3H  GPU: Asus ROG RX 480 8G OC Memory: 32GB Gskill Ares 2400Mhz  Storage: 2x Crucial M4 512GB SSD (raid0)  / 1TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 750W  Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB (64 bit) Other: NZXT Hue+ LED Controller with 8 LED Strips for desk and PC lighting

sucks man go with a 780 fits right into your budget and all 

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-video-card-03gp42784kr

That was what I was afraid of. Would a pair of R9 270X's do ok though? With a pair I could save about 60 bucks over a single 780 if I shop around and then upgrade to the 290X when the price comes down. Maybe. Hopefully. *cry*

Anticure83

That was what I was afraid of. Would a pair of R9 270X's do ok though? With a pair I could save about 60 bucks over a single 780 if I shop around and then upgrade to the 290X when the price comes down. Maybe. Hopefully. *cry*

i dont think so the 270x are kinda meh cards (not taking sides just the performance stats) its just going to be easier with a 780 sadly id just suck it up and get 290 or take a punch to the gut and get a 780 

Specs

that seems senseless.. then better get a 780 now and later a second one :D

why spend 2x the money for efectively 1x the performence, when you can spend 2x the Money for 2x the performence.

i dont think so the 270x are kinda meh cards (not taking sides just the performance stats) its just going to be easier with a 780 sadly id just suck it up and get 290 or take a punch to the gut and get a 780 

that seems senseless.. then better get a 780 now and later a second one :D

why spend 2x the money for efectively 1x the performence, when you can spend 2x the Money for 2x the performence.

Well then. NVidia here I come. This will be a frightening journey. I have been with Radeon cards since the 1200 series and switched because of dreadful drivers from NVidia. Ironically AMD drivers haven't been that great lately.

Anticure83

Sorry I forgot. Ohio in the States, and up to $500 and maybe a bit above for tax and whatnot

Have you taken a look at the EVGA website? You can pick up a stock 780 for $419, OC'd one for around $449.

CrossFire can cause problems. I wouldn't. Plus they're what, over $600 a pair? Nah.

I don't think the 290x's are going to drop in price, I think the increase is here to stay.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Have you taken a look at the EVGA website? You can pick up a stock 780 for $419, OC'd one for around $449.

CrossFire can cause problems. I wouldn't. Plus they're what, over $600 a pair? Nah.

I don't think the 290x's are going to drop in price, I think the increase is here to stay.

If you shop around and catch sales you can pick up the 270X's for around $250 actually.

Anticure83

I would nab an EVGA one.

1. They are beastly overclockers with custom PCB's, and a great cooler

2. Awesome customer support if you ever have issues.

3. If you can get a FTW, SC, or Classified version, EVEN BETTER! :D

Case: Lian Li PC011-D - CPU: 3900x - GPU: 2080ti Reference - Mobo: Gigabyte - Ram: Corsair 4x16gb 3200MHz - SSD: 2TB Samsung Evo NVME

I'm pretty sure star citizen uses mantle but not sure, if that's the case go with a 270x you will get much better performance

I personally would go with the EVGA GTX 780 Classified which can be had for around $550.  Sure its not the 780Ti with the fully unlocked GK110 but it is the single greatest "regular" 780 with incredible overclocking potential thanks to unlocked voltage (add the EVbot and you'll have hours of fun just running benches) and it is relatively affordable considering the 780Ti's sky-high price.  If that price is still too rich for your blood Iyou might consider the 770 Lightning from MSI which is basically just a rebadge of the greatest GTX 680 at the time.  It is a great clocking card with one of the best coolers ever designed (unfortunately they seem to be OOS on NE and Amazon).  

Intel Core i7 4930K @ 4.7GHz | Asus Rampage IV Extreme | 2 x EVGA GTX Titan SC (1254MHz) | 16GB Patriot Viper Extreme DDR3 2133MHz (4 x 4GB) | Corsair AX1200 | Silverstone Temjin TJ11 | Corsair Force 3 240GB (System) | 2 x Intel 320 160GB SSD (Dedicated Gaming Drives) | Hitachi Deskstar 1TB (Data) | MS Windows 10 Pro | EK Supreme HF/FC-Titan/Rampage IV Extreme blocks | Hardware Labs GTX 560/240 rads | Alphacool VPP-655 D5 pump | Bitspower mod kit/pump top/fittings/120mm res

Personally, I would wait.  The next generation of GPUs is right around the corner, maybe even toward the end of this month.  The Maxwell technology that Nvidia is using in the GTX 750 will be implemented in the next gen GPUs.  We still dont even have a release date yet for Star Citizen, so why would you rush out and buy new components which could very well be outdated by the time the game is released.  So it makes sense to wait for the next gen of GPUs.  Even if you dont get an 800 series the 780s and the like will be reduced in price.  As far as NVIDIA vs ATI it would still pay to wait and see what changes DX11 makes to the API.  With Star Citizen supporting Mantel it seems that ATI would be the GPU of choice for the time being.  So just wait for a while, unless you absolutely have to have something now, I would suggest the R9 290 over the GTX 780 just because of the Mantel support.

Personally, I would wait.  The next generation of GPUs is right around the corner, maybe even toward the end of this month.  The Maxwell technology that Nvidia is using in the GTX 750 will be implemented in the next gen GPUs.  We still dont even have a release date yet for Star Citizen, so why would you rush out and buy new components which could very well be outdated by the time the game is released.  So it makes sense to wait for the next gen of GPUs.  Even if you dont get an 800 series the 780s and the like will be reduced in price.  As far as NVIDIA vs ATI it would still pay to wait and see what changes DX11 makes to the API.  With Star Citizen supporting Mantel it seems that ATI would be the GPU of choice for the time being.  So just wait for a while, unless you absolutely have to have something now, I would suggest the R9 290 over the GTX 780 just because of the Mantel support.

Exactly! Take a chill and wait for a bit before upgrading major pc components. Unless your pc is long past due for an upgrade right now, in which case maybe also wait for as long as you can.

Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate Wants you! Join now!

UOLTT Basop | Misc Freelancer & Origin M50

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

-Groucho Marx