Star Citizen Video Card Upgrade Choices

Exactly! Take a chill and wait for a bit before upgrading major pc components. Unless your pc is long past due for an upgrade right now, in which case maybe also wait for as long as you can.

I agree with waiting; partially for the next architecture, also because Nvidia will be getting Mantle support. If you wait it will give time for us to see where the AMD side, and the Nvidia side go with Mantle, and to see what we get for parts in the future.

Between AMD saying Mantle wasn't going to be exclusive for their cards, and for Microsoft updating Direct X to be like Mantle, we're in for new changes soon.

On a side note, at least during this time, Mantle doesn't mean much unless your CPU needs help. Benchmarks show it helping on low end systems a lot, and high end systems almost none.

Case: Lian Li PC011-D - CPU: 3900x - GPU: 2080ti Reference - Mobo: Gigabyte - Ram: Corsair 4x16gb 3200MHz - SSD: 2TB Samsung Evo NVME

Since Star Citizen is going to support Mantle, I'd wait and go with an R9 280x at the minimum.

Game doesn't come out for a pretty long time, and with the 5850 you should be able to enjoy the game just at a lower detail.

Is there news about it supporting Crossfire/SLI?

I know it's fairly standard now a days but there are still games that don't support it.

LTT Recruit: Tacoma | Organization: UOLTT Conglomerate | Group: Salvage and Military | Fleet: Anvil Carrack, Aegis Retaliator and CO Mustang Omega

Appreciation to: artofinca.com | UOLTT Conglomerate on RSI and LTT

If you don't know what my avatar is, it's from: Silverhawks

• 2 weeks later...

Get a good 780 if you can, I'd recommend EVGA, ASUS or MSI, whichever one you can get.

Intel 4770k@4.6GHz, ASUS ROG Maximus VI Hero, Kingston HyperX Beast 2x8GB 2400MHz CL11, Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming, Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB - RAID0 (2x120Gb), 2xWD 1TB (Blue and Green), Corsair H100i, Corsair AX860, CoolerMaster HAF X, ASUS STRIX Tactic pro, Logitech G400S, HyperX Cloud II, Logitech X530, Acer Predator X34.

If you want to play on low settings...

I would strongly recommend waiting until Maxwell and R9 3XX if your budget is any less than capable of the best AND you generally like throwing money out the window.

Once in combat and populated areas, Star Citizen will stutter on any single GPU set-up currently in existence, on anything but the lowest settings. I guarantee it.

People keep making excuses like "don't worry, hangar isn't optimized" but guess what - the actual game will still be 10 times more demanding than the hangar is, optimized or not! One constellation class star ship is made up of 1.2 million faces. That geometry equals a full map of terrain and props in a game like Bioshock Infinite. Then realize that you can have 60 ships in the same instance as you in Star Citizen.

That said, of course there will be LOD reductions based on range, but sooner or later you'll find yourself in a firefight at 5 FPS and guaranteed to be dead.

Wait.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Wait star citizen is long off even dogfighting is due in april after many set backs. So it won't shock me to see another delay. You'll be spending money now for a game 1 year from now. 

Sit on your wallet :) Maxwell and 3** will be out by the time star citizen is.

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

I would strongly recommend waiting until Maxwell and R9 3XX if your budget is any less than capable of the best AND you generally like throwing money out the window.

Once in combat and populated areas, Star Citizen will stutter on any single GPU set-up currently in existence, on anything but the lowest settings. I guarantee it.

People keep making excuses like "don't worry, hangar isn't optimized" but guess what - the actual game will still be 10 times more demanding than the hangar is, optimized or not! One constellation class star ship is made up of 1.2 million faces. That geometry equals a full map of terrain and props in a game like Bioshock Infinite. Then realize that you can have 60 ships in the same instance as you in Star Citizen.

That said, of course there will be LOD reductions based on range, but sooner or later you'll find yourself in a firefight at 5 FPS and guaranteed to be dead.

Wait.

Not to get forget Physical Based Rendering.

And PhysX and TressFX will also get added.

I bet a GTX780 Ti will have problems maxing the game out.

RTX2070OC 

I second the motion for the 780. It's the perfect fit for your budget and needs. 

Worship the Lord GabeN for he is your one true god!!!!

The Lord's Prayer

Star citizen isn't going to release this year. Various parts of the game are dropping to backers but its a bit early to be talking about which GPU to get for it. The game hasn't even been written yet!

Wait.

I've heard this before. What about adding another 780 for 1080p?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk RAM: Kingston HyperX Predator RGB 32 GB (4x8GB) DDR4 GPU: EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 SSD: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512 GB NVME | Samsung QVO 1TB SSD  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 4TB | Seagate Barracuda 8TB Case: Phanteks ECLIPSE P600S PSU: Corsair RM850x

I am a gamer, not because I don't have a life, but because I choose to have many.