I Accidentally Create Two Unlocated Partition During The Very First Windows 10 Installation (Installation still not finished)

PCForStreaming

Hello guys, I have 1 TB M.2 NVME SSD and I just want to split into two partition 350GB for system  and the rest is for data, that's the idea.

I read to click new when it's on the partition step, or choosing the which drive to install the windows on. Originally it was showing only One drive 953.8GB but after I try to click new it resulted in system , MSR(reserved) and primary partition. Anyway I'm trying to do something and I delete the system and the primary, and for some reason now I am left with something like this (picture included). I won't touch it any further since I think I just don't know how to make it better without making it worse.

The goal is to have 2 partition. One is for system 300 or 350GB and the the other would be data and games in a single partition.

7070d2a6-2ccc-442f-823f-166674f461a2.jpg.7dad1c992314e32790335afa44385098.jpg

1 minute ago, PCForStreaming said:

I just want to split into two partition 350GB for system  and the rest is for data, that's the idea.

Why, no reason to do this, just have one big partition

Also if you want to do this, just do it faster, leave it as one big partition during install

Just install on one big parittion, and delete all teh existing paritions on the drive

Delete everything you did, then install on one partition (single unallocated space block).

After install finishes, you can split the "C:" partition into "D:"

If you found my answer to your post helpful, be sure to react or mark it as solution 😄

Delete all of the partitions until there is only 1 allocated space and then click next.

You don't need to create partitions, Windows will do it. AKA don't click new.

BabyBlu (Primary): 

• CPU: Intel Core i9 9900K @ up to 5.3GHz, 5.0GHz all-core, delidded
  • Motherboard: Asus Maximus XI Hero
  • RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 @ 4000MHz 16-18-18-34
  • GPU: MSI RTX 2080 Sea Hawk EK X, 2070MHz core, 8000MHz mem
  • Case: Phanteks Evolv X
  • Storage: XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB, 3x ADATASU800 1TB (RAID 0), Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB
  • PSU: Corsair HX1000i
  • Display: MSI MPG341CQR 34" 3440x1440 144Hz Freesync, Dell S2417DG 24" 2560x1440 165Hz Gsync
  • Cooling: Custom water loop (CPU & GPU), Radiators: 1x140mm(Back), 1x280mm(Top), 1x420mm(Front)
  • Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RGB (Cherry MX Brown)
  • Mouse: MasterMouse MM710
  • Headset: Corsair Void Pro RGB

Roxanne (Wife Build):

• CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ up to 5.0GHz, 4.8Ghz all-core, relidded w/ LM
  • Motherboard: Asus Z97A
  • RAM: G.Skill Sniper 4x8GB DDR3-2400 @ 10-12-12-24
  • GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 w/ LM
  • Case: Corsair Vengeance C70, w/ Custom Side-Panel Window
  • Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Silicon Power A80 2TB NVME
  • PSU: Corsair AX760
  • Display: Samsung C27JG56 27" 2560x1440 144Hz Freesync
  • Cooling: Corsair H115i RGB
  • Keyboard: GMMK TKL(Kailh Box White)
  • Mouse: Glorious Model O-
  • Headset: SteelSeries Arctis 7

BigBox (HTPC):

• CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3600 @ 3600MHz 14-14-14-28
  • GPU: MSI RTX 3080 Ventus 3X Plus OC, de-shrouded, LM TIM, replaced mem therm pads
  • Case: Fractal Design Node 202
  • Storage: SP A80 1TB, WD Black SN770 2TB
  • PSU: Corsair SF600 Gold w/ NF-A9x14
  • Display: Samsung QN90A 65" (QLED, 4K, 120Hz, HDR, VRR)
  • Cooling: Thermalright AXP-100 Copper w/ NF-A12x15
  • Keyboard/Mouse: Rii i4
  • Controllers: 4X Xbox One & 2X N64 (with USB)
  • Sound: Denon AVR S760H with 5.1.2 Atmos setup.

Harmonic (NAS/Game/Plex/Other Server):

• CPU: Intel Core i7 6700
  • Motherboard: ASRock FATAL1TY H270M
  • RAM: 64GB DDR4-2133
  • GPU: Intel HD Graphics 530
  • Case: Fractal Design Define 7
  • HDD: 3X Seagate Exos X16 14TB in RAID 5
  • SSD: Inland Premium 512GB NVME, Sabrent 1TB NVME
  • Optical: BDXL WH14NS40 flashed to WH16NS60
  • PSU: Corsair CX450
  • Display: None
  • Cooling: Noctua NH-U14S
  • Keyboard/Mouse: None

NAS:

• Synology DS216J
  • 2x8TB WD Red NAS HDDs in RAID 1. 8TB usable space

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Why, no reason to do this, just have one big partition

Also if you want to do this, just do it faster, leave it as one big partition during install

Just install on one big parittion, and delete all teh existing paritions on the drive

I cannot merge that two unallocated space into one. And I don't know what will happen if I delete every of them.
I delete the system before and it become separate unallocated space instead of merging into one unllaocated space.

The reason I want to have 2 partition is to protect data from virus and also for games they usually don't want to be installed on system drive because windows permission is such a hassle.

Just now, JogerJ said:

Delete everything you did, install on one partition.

After install finishes, you can split the "C:" partition into "D:"

So if I delete everything it will merge into a single partition?
Before I was deleteing the 100MB system and it didn't want to merge with the 950GB primary that I delete as well

and that's why now it separate into 2 unlocated space

On an SSD there really isn't a reason to set it up like this. If it was a HDD this would make a little sense as it was a trick for have a fast & slow storage location on one disk but for an SSD you don't benefit.

Why is it that you want to set it up in this fashion?

You should be able to delete partition 1&2. This will take you back to having 1 large unallocated space again.

1 minute ago, PCForStreaming said:

I cannot merge that two unallocated space into one. And I don't know what will happen if I delete every of them.
I delete the system before and it become separate unallocated space instead of merging into one unllaocated space.

The reason I want to have 2 partition is to protect data from virus and also for games they usually don't want to be installed on system drive because windows permission is such a hassle.

just delete them all in the install. There is nothing on the drive so you won't lose anything

Having partitions won't help with a virus, they virus can easily get data from all partitions. Get good backups so you don't lsoe data

Games will run fine off the boot drive. That is the default for basically every game, and I have done this on tons of systems with no issues.

3 minutes ago, PCForStreaming said:

To merge the two unallocated partitions, you need to delete the partitions in between them.

Delete all partitions, then click next.

The reason I want to have 2 partition is to protect data from virus

This is not a thing. Any modern virus that's able to infect one partition can read and write to any partition that is user accessible.

and also for games they usually don't want to be installed on system drive because windows permission is such a hassle.

What? This is also not a thing.

Games have no problem living on the C:\ Drive - in fact, that's standard.

I feel like you might need some additional education in how systems work. That's not an insult, or even a bad thing. It just shows due to the nature of your justifications for wanting to do this. The good news is that we can help you learn why doing what you want is pretty much pointless.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Alright guys thank you for all the advice (I will try to delete all partition and then just click next)

I will try it on the morning and see if there's more answer to this thread. I will leave it like this for now.
Thank you for every advice, opinions and help ^^

I get the notion to partition drives. Back in the day, if the windows OS is screwed up by some virus or data corruption, you're forced to reformat the whole partition (cure all solution for most of the time), hence people partition their drives to separate system data and personal data. That way only system data would be lost, so you get a fresh install of windows and can then do virus removal on the data partition. Basically people tried to emulate having two drives with a single drive. 

This is however no longer much of a concern. In a modern Windows 10 system there are repair tools readily available that can perform system repair/restore. If that doesn't work, you can always use a Windows USB installer to "fix" corrupted system data or even use a live linux USB to backup files to another drive. In my experience Windows has a pretty redundant system backup/restore feature, which is part of the pre-generated partitions you saw during initial install.

The only use of partitioning a drive nowadays would either be to install different OS, use different disk formatting (e.g. as an exchange drive that can be accessed by multiple OS) or just to separate personal data so you won't accidentally format them. It won't provide additional virus protection, it won't provide performance boosts with an SSD. 

If you found my answer to your post helpful, be sure to react or mark it as solution 😄

6 hours ago, JogerJ said:

I get the notion to partition drives. Back in the day, if the windows OS is screwed up by some virus or data corruption, you're forced to reformat the whole partition (cure all solution for most of the time), hence people partition their drives to separate system data and personal data. That way only system data would be lost, so you get a fresh install of windows and can then do virus removal on the data partition. Basically people tried to emulate having two drives with a single drive. 

This is however no longer much of a concern. In a modern Windows 10 system there are repair tools readily available that can perform system repair/restore. If that doesn't work, you can always use a Windows USB installer to "fix" corrupted system data or even use a live linux USB to backup files to another drive. In my experience Windows has a pretty redundant system backup/restore feature, which is part of the pre-generated partitions you saw during initial install.

The only use of partitioning a drive nowadays would either be to install different OS, use different disk formatting (e.g. as an exchange drive that can be accessed by multiple OS) or just to separate personal data so you won't accidentally format them. It won't provide additional virus protection, it won't provide performance boosts with an SSD. 

Thank you for the thoughtful reply ^^

So if I fix/repair the OS with a Windows installer USB if it ever comes to that, it will it not delete all the other data or apps on that same drive? And if I'm using the windows 10 repair/restore will that takes a lot of space on the drive to create the backup/ restore point?

And what are the way that could help to keep M.2 NVME SSD to live longer?

Thank you!

6 hours ago, PCForStreaming said:

Thank you for the thoughtful reply ^^

So if I fix/repair the OS with a Windows installer USB if it ever comes to that, it will it not delete all the other data or apps on that same drive? And if I'm using the windows 10 repair/restore will that takes a lot of space on the drive to create the backup/ restore point?

And what are the way that could help to keep M.2 NVME SSD to live longer?

Thank you!

Yes doing a repair install will not wipe the drive. 

Don’t worry about the life of your SSD. It’ll last longer than you’ll be using it for. 

Furthermore make sure you have a proper backup in place. That is the real way you’ll protect your data. 

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)