Student laptop: AMD 3000 or Intel?

Hi everyone!

I have a friend who asked me for advice. His laptop broke and he wanted to buy a new one anyway.

Normaly, I'd just find a good Ryzen 4000 series laptop, but they aren't available yet where we live. I contancted biggest suppliers, one answered and said they're coming in August.

Now, my friend's kinda in a rush, so we are faced with a dilema, should we pick Ryzen 3000, Intel 8th gen or Intel 10th gen.

It's a student laptop, for "student work" and I believe some gaming. Budget isn't too big, I believe.

I'll be able to find a suitable laptop, I just can't decide which processor to recommend. It would be mid-tier, like R5 or i5.

What do you think?

Specs:
CPU: AMD Athlon X2 340
RAM: 8GB (2x4GB)
GPU: ASUS Radeon HD 7400 series

Personal preference, I would still take the Zen over the core.

At me or quote me, I want to hear your opinion.

Hopefully anything I say is factually correct. Sorry for any mistakes in advanced.

5 minutes ago, Jae Tee said:

Personal preference, I would still take the Zen over the core.

He heard from the service station that they had a lot of problems with AMD CPUs (3000 and older). So for that mater let's say we take Intel.

I've heard from Dave Lee that there's not much difference between 8th and 10th gen. Well, there is, but marginal return is low. Do you suggest sticking with 8th gen? For kind of long term use, 3-4+ years

Specs:

21 minutes ago, milutin_miki said:

What do you think?

Is it the exact same laptop with the three different gens of CPUs?

Because in the end its more down to the specific laptop. 

13 hours ago, milutin_miki said:

He heard from the service station that they had a lot of problems with AMD CPUs (3000 and older). So for that mater let's say we take Intel.

I've heard from Dave Lee that there's not much difference between 8th and 10th gen. Well, there is, but marginal return is low. Do you suggest sticking with 8th gen? For kind of long term use, 3-4+ years

I have no idea what he heard but I can assure you, that sounds like bullshit. The CPUs are perfectly fine. If the specific laptop had issues that's one thing but saying a CPU is bad because the ow we took a dump on the laptop...come on..

13 hours ago, milutin_miki said:

Hi everyone!

I have a friend who asked me for advice. His laptop broke and he wanted to buy a new one anyway.

Normaly, I'd just find a good Ryzen 4000 series laptop, but they aren't available yet where we live. I contancted biggest suppliers, one answered and said they're coming in August.

Now, my friend's kinda in a rush, so we are faced with a dilema, should we pick Ryzen 3000, Intel 8th gen or Intel 10th gen.

It's a student laptop, for "student work" and I believe some gaming. Budget isn't too big, I believe.

I'll be able to find a suitable laptop, I just can't decide which processor to recommend. It would be mid-tier, like R5 or i5.

What do you think?

You really should be looking at Ryzen 4000. They'll be available within two weeks likely and rushing into an overheating intel CPU or an older and slower Zen+ CPU is just not smart

On 7/14/2020 at 10:49 AM, 5x5 said:

You really should be looking at Ryzen 4000. They'll be available within two weeks likely and rushing into an overheating intel CPU or an older and slower Zen+ CPU is just not smart

Yesterday we went to the store, they finally received their first Ryzen 4000 laptop! It still isn't in the system and they have no idea when the next one is coming...

When he saw it, he decided to wait anyway, as I suggested him

Specs:

40 minutes ago, milutin_miki said:

Yesterday we went to the store, they finally received their first Ryzen 4000 laptop! It still isn't in the system and they have no idea when the next one is coming...

When he saw it, he decided to wait anyway, as I suggested him

Good move. He'll get a LOT more value by waiting a bit and getting a Renoir laptop