Will this 8 pin CPU connector cause any issues?

I bought a used CX750M and intend to use it in my i7 6700k/z270 system.

I noticed that the one metal connector bit was crushed (as if someone jammed something in there) so I moved into a position where it fits into the motherboard.

I'm just wondering if it's a bad idea to try and use the power supply like this. 

Thanks, 

Simeon

20200713_181833.jpg

20200713_181801.jpg

The picture isn't really clear. But it looks like it's completely burnt. I would not use it imo. 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

1 minute ago, Simeon_ said:

I noticed that the one metal connector bit was crushed (as if someone jammed something in there) so I moved into a position where it fits into the motherboard.

I'm just wondering if it's a bad idea to try and use the power supply like this. 

Thanks, 

Simeon

20200713_181833.jpg

20200713_181801.jpg

I would try and get a new plug. If your PSU is modular you might be able to buy a replacement.

Just now, TofuHaroto said:

The picture isn't really clear. But it looks like it's completely burned. I would not use it imo. 

It's not actually burned but some of the metal and plastic has been damaged

If the power supply did THAT - I'd say replace it before it LITERALLY EXPLODES....

Just now, Simeon_ said:

It's not actually burned but some of the metal and plastic has been damaged

It's very VERY burned...replace the entire clearly DEFECTIVE power supply.

Just now, 5x5 said:

It's very VERY burned...replace the entire clearly DEFECTIVE power supply.

Nvm that sounds like a better idea. But if its a modular PSU and the other cables are perfectly fine i would try and get a new 8 pin cpu cable at the very least

Edited by Goku1814

Just now, Simeon_ said:

some of the metal and plastic has been damaged

Can I ask how? And are you 100% sure it's not burned?

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Build Log: 

1 minute ago, TofuHaroto said:

It's a green CX 750 (aka a rebranded GS 750 from 10 years ago...) - of course it's fucked

Just now, 5x5 said:

of course it's fucked

Yea just wanted to be 100% sure. 

But I wouldn't use it if I were OP. 

Build Log: 

1 minute ago, 5x5 said:

It's a green CX 750 (aka a rebranded GS 750 from 10 years ago...) - of course it's fucked

Geez thats old

That looks melted. Another argument as to why you shouldn't cheap out on a power supply and why you shouldn't buy a used power supply either.

Buy a new, good PSU.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

1 minute ago, TofuHaroto said:

I don't see evidence of burn damage that I'd expect (i should've taken a before photo) but the metal connector was kinda pushed to the side. I tried the power supply with a mobo that only needs a 4 pin and the psu worked with the other side of the connector. I don't know what to think

Just now, Simeon_ said:

with the other side of the connector. I don't know what to think

If the other 4pin is fine then that's good. The other side doesn't look so good. 

Build Log: 

11 minutes ago, Simeon_ said:

Thanks, 

Simeon

20200713_181833.jpg

20200713_181801.jpg

If the previous owner tried to force it into a plug that wasn't right, possibly they could have damaged it like that.... but it would take an incredible amount of force to tear through metal like that, so I doubt that is what happened there. If that happened due to a short and it pulled crazy current through that wire, I wouldn't trust it anymore. Theoretically the PSU would have gone into over current protection and saved itself, but that is a crappy situation to be in. Without knowing what happened, or the outcome of what happened, hard to suggest you should plug it in and find out.

If it 100% doesn't look burned and looks like someone maybe got a pin stuck in there (it could have maybe... possible.... pulled the male end of the mobo's plug out, and they used a vice grip to rip it back out so they could sell the PSU), then the PSU itself should be totally fine, and a new plug is all you would need which is super cheap. Either way, I wouldn't use it like that though, if nothing else it may cause a bad connection which would not just cause insane voltage fluctuations, but could arch.

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

4 minutes ago, Simeon_ said:

Thanks, 

Simeon

There is no way you're going to make a good connection with that. Given your specs, and provided you aren't overclocking, the connector itself probably won't be an issue, as all 4 top pins are wired in parallel. That being said, it begs the question: Why is it like that? You'll be putting more load on the remaining pins, potentially making the condition worse, and likely have a damaged motherboard if it was pulled out of a system like that. It's out of spec.

If you choose to use this PSU, it's entirely at your own risk. You can damage the PSU, Motherboard, CPU, and even make some smoke with this.

I'd recommend replacing the entire PSU and cables, as well as take a very close look at the EPS connector on the motherboard.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

Thanks for the replies. It doesn't really work out badly since i bought it so cheap