Unreliable Power Delivery

I've had my current motherboard for almost a year now, and since I got it, the power delivery has been pretty unreliable. The model is MSI B450M Pro VDH Max. 

Basically, I first noticed it when I tried to enable Precision Boost Overdrive or whatever it's called, since I have an X series Ryzen chip. It would work normally most of the time, but as soon as something CPU intensive happened, the whole system would hard reboot. Hard reboot as in no bluescreen or errors reported in windows event viewer, just a black screen and then it would reboot. I tried a more powerful PSU, a 750 watt as opposed to my 550 watt, and that didn't help at all. I eventually figured out that it was just PBO acting up, so I disabled it. I went to manually overclock my CPU, and the same thing would happen, so at that point I figured it was the VRMs or power delivery or something. I reset everything back to normal/defaults, and I have been relatively fine since. Recently, though, I decided to reinstall Red Dead Redemption 2, which is a pretty intensive game as plenty of people know. There is one specific loading scene in a quest in Valentine that causes my system to do the same exact thing as it would do with PBO or overclocking, but now at default settings at stuff (albeit I have the high performance power mode selected in windows power management)

So is this a problem with power delivery? The CPU never gets above 70 degrees C, so I doubt it's thermals. 

If it is power delivery, what should I do? I think the motherboard is still covered by the manufacturer's warranty, and I think I got one from the store I bought it from, too (MicroCenter). The downside should I have to do a store warranty is that the MicroCenter I got it from is like an hour's drive away.

Any help is greatly appreciated 

Full system specs? And are you running the latest BIOS?

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

6 hours ago, boggy77 said:

what cpu? chipset drivers isntalled?

6 hours ago, Mateyyy said:

Full system specs? And are you running the latest BIOS?

yes chipset drivers installed, the most recent BIOS, and my system specs are on my profile. If you don't want to look there,

Ryzen 7 2700X

MSI B450M PRO VDH Max

16gb (2x 8gb) Corsair LPX DDR4 @ 2400mhz 

MSI Ventus RTX 2070 Super

EVGA 550 G3 PSU

6 minutes ago, Calamity1911 said:

yes chipset drivers installed, the most recent BIOS, and my system specs are on my profile. If you don't want to look there,

Ryzen 7 2700X

MSI B450M PRO VDH Max

16gb (2x 8gb) Corsair LPX DDR4 @ 2400mhz 

MSI Ventus RTX 2070 Super

EVGA 550 G3 PSU

Well that motherboard wasn't exactly made with overclocking a 2700X in mind, to say the least.

How's the airflow inside your case? 

You could try pointing a fan directly on the VRM heatsinks, just to make sure that the culprit was actually the VRMs triggering OTP. If direct airflow on the VRMs doesn't solve it, then maybe the problem is somewhere else.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

it's on the limit of what the motherboard can handle. you might be unlucky to have bad airflow and high ambient temps and that might just push it to the limit.

can you monitor vrm temps?

On 7/13/2020 at 6:04 PM, Mateyyy said:

Well that motherboard wasn't exactly made with overclocking a 2700X in mind, to say the least.

How's the airflow inside your case? 

You could try pointing a fan directly on the VRM heatsinks, just to make sure that the culprit was actually the VRMs triggering OTP. If direct airflow on the VRMs doesn't solve it, then maybe the problem is somewhere else.

On 7/14/2020 at 3:06 AM, boggy77 said:

it's on the limit of what the motherboard can handle. you might be unlucky to have bad airflow and high ambient temps and that might just push it to the limit.

can you monitor vrm temps?

The airflow in my case should be pretty decent, since I have the 240mm radiator at the front of my case pulling air in, and then I also just have my side panel off. I can try to watch VRM temps to see if that is the issue, I think HWInfo can monitor them. I'll post and update soon™

Try raising the EDC and PPT limits in Ryzen Master.

13 minutes ago, Calamity1911 said:

The airflow in my case should be pretty decent, since I have the 240mm radiator at the front of my case pulling air in, and then I also just have my side panel off. I can try to watch VRM temps to see if that is the issue, I think HWInfo can monitor them. I'll post and update soon™

Actually, for intake for fans side panel off helps indeed.

However, for parts that dont have a fan directing that cooler intake air immediately onto them not having a side panel can prevent flow - the movement of air brougt in by front intake will not reach vrms on the other side, all flow pressure is lost into the wide open gap formed by the missing side panel.

To illustrate this look at the recent review of nr200, tested with near open (perforated) side panel vs glass (in that case its a tie, shifting temps only slightly):

Unless of course you have a downdraft cooler, then the vrm gets flow from that :)