NVidia ends 'Turing' card production midst, making room for 'Ampere' cards midst the mining resurgence

52 minutes ago, PoopThatTookAPee said:

but esports players? (idk what theyre called), can do with 3080ti performance without the rt, which makes sense to produce cards without the rt cores so people uninterested in them can get the gtx 3080 for a lesser price as well. not only esports players, normal consumers who dont want rt, can get a gtx card of the same series and build, without the rt, than cheaper price than the rtx variant of the same card.

So? There are a lot of things one may not need and you need to buy a more expensive higher up card anyway. If we based everything on "esports" players we'd still be running DirectX 7 even today... Or DirectX 9 which is still very much the actual case.

24 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

So? There are a lot of things one may not need and you need to buy a more expensive higher up card anyway. If we based everything on "esports" players we'd still be running DirectX 7 even today... Or DirectX 9 which is still very much the actual case.

no im not saying we should base everything on the needs of esports players, all im saying is the features that nvidia are packing into their cards, which are used by only a small part of the buyers can be removed, and the cards without rtx can be sold at a relatively cheaper price. many people who buy these cards may never use rtx ever, but are forced to get the ray tracing since there are no other alternatives.

😕

Isn't that why the GTX 16 series existed? 

eSports games are designed to run exceptionally well on even mid-tier hardware to improve accessibility. I know R6: Siege can run north of 200FPS on my 2070S.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

8 hours ago, D13H4RD said:

Isn't that why the GTX 16 series existed? 

eSports games are designed to run exceptionally well on even mid-tier hardware to improve accessibility. I know R6: Siege can run north of 200FPS on my 2070S.

yup but dont they need as many frames as possible? i dont think the supplier providing systems for major competitions would risk giving the competitors a 1660ti in the systems since '120 frames is enough for csgo'.

😕

found this on a Moore's Law is Dead Video:

Nvidia Disguised $1B in 'Fickle' Crypto Mining Sales as Gaming Revenue, Lawsuit Claims. Nvidia, the multinational chip-making giant, is still being sued by disgruntled investors for allegedly under-reporting its sales of hardware used to mine cryptocurrency.

could this have any ties with the apparent "mining resurgence"?

id like to see what @Mateyyy@5x5@TofuHaroto and others think about this ;)

😕

4 hours ago, PoopThatTookAPee said:

Nvidia being shady. I'm so shocked I'll go post about it on my Tumblr.

Shit aside, business as usual for Nvidia.

[...]

I don't watch that guy's videos but that's a two month old news article, and I personally wasn't even aware of a mining resurgence at all (which btw I just don't see happening considering mining's just plain not profitable anymore, unless you don't pay your own bills), so I really don't have much of anything to say about this.

It's just business I guess. Every big company has to do their fair share of shady things, eh?

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

id like to see what

Well I guess @5x5 and @Mateyyy said their opinion. I guess it's my turn. 

Well I mean. I didn't expect mining to come back. Ever considering how not profitable and dumb it is. 

After all it's a multi billion dollar company and im not surprised that they are shady in one way or another.

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: