Ryzen 7 3700X - Bad CPU?

Your advise would be appreciated as it seems my choices keep going deeper down a rabbit hole. Current system was built by yours truly about 7 months ago, Decemberish. Built the system, worked great until about the end of February. Motherboard seemed to go bad as it would no longer power on. Sent it for an RMA with a return of the same Gigabyte X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI again running the same Ryzen 7 3700X CPU. No issues until about mid-May when the GPU seemed to fail. I tried it in both boards and finally sent the GPU to PC CASE GEAR (Australia) for them to troubleshoot and it worked for them. I then tried another GPU in my Gigabyte board GPU diagnostics (on the board still failed). Knowing that the second card was good, I RMAed the motherboard and was offered a refund so I bought an MSI MAG Tomcat Wifi X570. Starting to feel bad at this point as I have always loved Gigabyte boards, my son still uses my old system from 2013 using the Gigabyte Ultra Durable. If you are like me, you probably spent a few weeks looking at various motherboards until selecting the perfect one. Nothing against MSI but wasn't exactly the features I wanted.

MSI board arrives last week, GPU works in PCI_E3 (PCH) but not PCI_E1 (CPU). Sinking feeling gets deeper. Looking at the manual for the board, MSI notes that in a single GPU system that PCI_E1 is recommended as it is directly connected to the CPU. PCH runs off the X570 chipset.

I had on the side been getting ready to build a server for my home. For it, I ordered a Ryzen 5 3600 which was on sale at time because XT had just been released. Long story short, I dropped (as Linus has taught me) the Ryen 5 3600 into the MSI board and PCI_E1 worked out of the gate. Not sure how to convince PC Case Gear.

Has anyone else experience a similar issue? Am I missing anything?

Note: I am in Australia so there are a limited number of retailers, PC Case Gear seems to be one of the best.

I'd reach out to amd with your issues they may have some insight

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

17 minutes ago, Jimz said:

Your advise would be appreciated as it seems my choices keep going deeper down a rabbit hole. Current system was built by yours truly about 7 months ago, Decemberish. Built the system, worked great until about the end of February. Motherboard seemed to go bad as it would no longer power on. Sent it for an RMA with a return of the same Gigabyte X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI again running the same Ryzen 7 3700X CPU. No issues until about mid-May when the GPU seemed to fail. I tried it in both boards and finally sent the GPU to PC CASE GEAR (Australia) for them to troubleshoot and it worked for them. I then tried another GPU in my Gigabyte board GPU diagnostics (on the board still failed). Knowing that the second card was good, I RMAed the motherboard and was offered a refund so I bought an MSI MAG Tomcat Wifi X570. Starting to feel bad at this point as I have always loved Gigabyte boards, my son still uses my old system from 2013 using the Gigabyte Ultra Durable. If you are like me, you probably spent a few weeks looking at various motherboards until selecting the perfect one. Nothing against MSI but wasn't exactly the features I wanted.

MSI board arrives last week, GPU works in PCI_E3 (PCH) but not PCI_E1 (CPU). Sinking feeling gets deeper. Looking at the manual for the board, MSI notes that in a single GPU system that PCI_E1 is recommended as it is directly connected to the CPU. PCH runs off the X570 chipset.

I had on the side been getting ready to build a server for my home. For it, I ordered a Ryzen 5 3600 which was on sale at time because XT had just been released. Long story short, I dropped (as Linus has taught me) the Ryen 5 3600 into the MSI board and PCI_E1 worked out of the gate. Not sure how to convince PC Case Gear.

Has anyone else experience a similar issue? Am I missing anything?

Note: I am in Australia so there are a limited number of retailers, PC Case Gear seems to be one of the best.

A component in a processor can surely go bad. Could even be an ever so slightly bent pin making poor contact. If it was shipped to you damaged, then it's defective. Since the Cpu doesn't like the direct connect the Infinity Fabric or interconnect (used to be called Hyper transport) can also go bad. I've damaged in the past a few processors, but generally the memory controller gets dead on me first lol. Habbit of overclocking I suppose.

It looks like you did a pretty good diagnostic. The cpu is bad. If PC Case Gear won't take it back, contact AMD for a replacement RMA. Just be sure AMD see's the comments from PC Case Gear that they won't warranty and you should have no issue.

35 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

I'd reach out to amd with your issues they may have some insight

Thanks - I will give that a shot. RMA is so slow during COVID, will have the system down for a month...

44 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

A component in a processor can surely go bad. Could even be an ever so slightly bent pin making poor contact. If it was shipped to you damaged, then it's defective. Since the Cpu doesn't like the direct connect the Infinity Fabric or interconnect (used to be called Hyper transport) can also go bad. I've damaged in the past a few processors, but generally the memory controller gets dead on me first lol. Habbit of overclocking I suppose.

It looks like you did a pretty good diagnostic. The cpu is bad. If PC Case Gear won't take it back, contact AMD for a replacement RMA. Just be sure AMD see's the comments from PC Case Gear that they won't warranty and you should have no issue.

Thanks - I have started the RMA process. Will see if AMD has any insight but I am doubtful.