500 mbps service , slow download and high ping

ArinBane

Hey I recently started having problems with my internet connection, everything was working until last few days, my internet speed is 500 Mbps down and 500 Mbps up, but when I start downloading something like from steam , blizzard , uplay , origin or microsoft store I am not getting more than 7-10 MBps download speed and my ping goes over 100-150ms when pinging google via cmd ( I am using the command ''ping www.google.com -t'' ) and the rest of the bandwith goes down to 40-50 mbps while using speedest.net with ping over 100-150ms,  which is quite unusable for me.  If I turn off the download my results on speedtest.net are 1-2ms ping 500 Mbps download 500 mbps upload. I am connected via cat6 ethernet cable aprox 5 meters long from the router to the switch. I allready tried  reseting my router multiple times , I reinstalled my motherboard drivers , I reseted the switch (which is rated for 10/100/1000mbps) that my and my girlfriends pc are connected through . I havent been changing any settings , everything is how it was before when it was working. I also want to mention that the problem is happening on my gf's pc which has very different hardware. I would appreciate some help with this cuz I cant seem to fix it.

“If the doors of perception were cleansed every thing would appear to man as it is, Infinite.”

Maybe talk to your internet provider and ask what is happening as they may be throttling the speeds down whenever you download something.

As far as your download speed, that is typical for downloads. Steam (and others) aren't going to let users pull a sustained load of 500 Mbps, so your DL speed is throttled. I get about the same DL speed as you. Your ingest speed will also depend on the weakest link in the chain, so if your storage and CPU are slow, you can't store and uncompress fast enough to download at higher speeds.

Engineer, electronics enthusiast, maker. My devices/tech:

Spoiler

Desktop (Main): i7-7700k/EVGA FTW3 RTX 3090/32" Curved QLED monitor

Desktop (HTPC): Ryzen 3-3200G/RX 580

Handheld: ASUS ROG Ally Z1 Extreme

Laptop: ASUS ROG Strix G15 Advantage

VR: Quest 2

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra

Dev Boards: TI MSP430/Arduino Uno/Raspberry Pi 4/esp32

Sound: Sony WH-1000XM4, HyperX Quadcast

Camera: Sony a6300 w/ 18-135mm kit lens

6 minutes ago, Nimoy007 said:

As far as your download speed, that is typical for downloads. Steam (and others) aren't going to let users pull a sustained load of 500 Mbps, so your DL speed is throttled. I get about the same DL speed as you. Your ingest speed will also depend on the weakest link in the chain, so if your storage and CPU are slow, you can't store and uncompress fast enough to download at higher speeds.

thats the thing, I was getting speeds over 50 MBps before, my pc can handle it I have i7 9700k, 32gigs of ram , m.2 nvme ssd , and a sata ssd which I am  to downloading games to. the other week I was downloading ghost recon breakpoint on uplay and my download peaked at 64 MBps

“If the doors of perception were cleansed every thing would appear to man as it is, Infinite.”

As far as the ping is concerned, first, know that speedtest.net should only be considered a relative measure, and has been known to over-report Internet speeds, and, much like a benchmark, is rather synthetic, and may not always give an accurate picture of your Internet's reliability.

Also, your ping should not generally be affected by simultaneous downloads, as far as I know, so I would agree with you that something is amiss there.

If there is any equipment in your home that is managed (switch/router), it may be prioritizing other traffic over your gaming traffic. It also can't hurt to ask your ISP to run some tests.

Spoiler

1 minute ago, ArinBane said:

thats the thing, I was getting speeds over 50 MBps before, my pc can handle it I have i7 9700k, 32gigs of ram , m.2 nvme ssd , and a sata ssd which I am  to downloading games to. othe other week I was downloading ghost recon breakpoint on uplay and my download peaked at 64 MBps

Ah, well maybe Steam has initiated measures to combat higher usage during the pandemic?

Spoiler

34 minutes ago, Nimoy007 said:

Ah, well maybe Steam has initiated measures to combat higher usage during the pandemic?

No. I regularly pull 40-50MBps on Steam downloads, even now.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

52 minutes ago, ArinBane said:

Hey I recently started having problems with my internet connection, everything was working until last few days, my internet speed is 500 Mbps down and 500 Mbps up, but when I start downloading something like from steam , blizzard , uplay , origin or microsoft store I am not getting more than 7-10 MBps download speed and my ping goes over 100-150ms when pinging google via cmd ( I am using the command ''ping www.google.com -t'' ) and the rest of the bandwith goes down to 40-50 mbps while using speedest.net with ping over 100-150ms,  which is quite unusable for me.  If I turn off the download my results on speedtest.net are 1-2ms ping 500 Mbps download 500 mbps upload. I am connected via cat6 ethernet cable aprox 5 meters long from the router to the switch. I allready tried  reseting my router multiple times , I reinstalled my motherboard drivers , I reseted the switch (which is rated for 10/100/1000mbps) that my and my girlfriends pc are connected through . I havent been changing any settings , everything is how it was before when it was working. I also want to mention that the problem is happening on my gf's pc which has very different hardware. I would appreciate some help with this cuz I cant seem to fix it.

Are you using your ISPs DNS servers? If so, that can dramatically affect your ping. Download speeds are a function of so many factors, it's hard to say what's going on there. Sometimes, something as simple as rebooting your modem will be enough to fix the problem. It might also be an infrastructure issue. Few people realize that cable internet speeds are shared. The more people in your area saturating the connection, the less you're going to be able to pull. Given the current situation with many people working from home now, that might be a factor.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

It's worth noting that many ISP's implement their own caching equipment for Steam and the major CDN's like akamai and google. So theres a lot of variable factors in play. 

But if your ping is jumping up to 100-150ms latency it sounds like you're saturating an interface somehow.

Are you certain you're connected via the ethernet, and you haven't accidentally enabled maybe an onboard wifi? 

If you're definately using ethernet, do you by any chance have other PC's in the house you can test from, to ensure its not something happening on your PC?

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

6 hours ago, Jarsky said:

It's worth noting that many ISP's implement their own caching equipment for Steam and the major CDN's like akamai and google. So theres a lot of variable factors in play. 

But if your ping is jumping up to 100-150ms latency it sounds like you're saturating an interface somehow.

Are you certain you're connected via the ethernet, and you haven't accidentally enabled maybe an onboard wifi? 

If you're definately using ethernet, do you by any chance have other PC's in the house you can test from, to ensure its not something happening on your PC?

I have z390 aorus elite , it does not have on board wi fi. It is happening om my gf's pc as well ! She has and older asus z97 motherboard , we both are running window 10 Pro

15 hours ago, Chris Pratt said:

Are you using your ISPs DNS servers? If so, that can dramatically affect your ping. Download speeds are a function of so many factors, it's hard to say what's going on there. Sometimes, something as simple as rebooting your modem will be enough to fix the problem. It might also be an infrastructure issue. Few people realize that cable internet speeds are shared. The more people in your area saturating the connection, the less you're going to be able to pull. Given the current situation with many people working from home now, that might be a factor.

I am using all default settings , I never changed anything . So got my router, plugged it in , everything was working. And about the infrastructure , I dont know I never had any problems until now. Whenever I am not downloading anything and do a speedtest everyting is fine , as soon as I start the problem happens. 

from what i understand you have 500Mbps download on speedtest.net but when downloading on both you gf or your pc you only get 50 to 64 MBps speed using steam, blizzard, etc i would try checking if you are using the correct speeds on both pc it could be that you read it wrong maybe change the setting on speedtest.net to see if that helps

On 7/14/2020 at 11:12 AM, HoleGhost said:

from what i understand you have 500Mbps download on speedtest.net but when downloading on both you gf or your pc you only get 50 to 64 MBps speed using steam, blizzard, etc i would try checking if you are using the correct speeds on both pc it could be that you read it wrong maybe change the setting on speedtest.net to see if that helps

7-10 MBps not 50-64 MBps

30 minutes ago, ArinBane said:

7-10 MBps not 50-64 MBps

router/switch/modem or what ever you use not faulty ? I have a 1000/800mbps connection and i was hitting a wall one day out of the blue. Massive ping spikes downloading and would cap out at 100mbps. Turns out the unit had gone faulty and once replaced everything went back to normal 

CPU - I9 10900 | CPU Cooler - Corsair Hydro Series H100x AIO | Motherboard -  Aorus B460 PRO AC | RAM -G.SKILL Ripjaw V series 4x8GB 2666MHZ | Graphics Card - Gigabyte RTX 3070  | Power Supply - Cooler Master 650w  | Storage -  Working on a new Spicy 

Operating System - Windows 10 Pro